Teach me about the hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know only my 3/2 Harvey's hoodie vest, so that's what I like. Put the vent pinholes in both top of hood for vertical posture, and in the back of hood for horizontal.
Put mask strap outside, or inside the hood? I usually go with inside, as a safety measure--if someone/something dislodges my mask, the hood keeps it (and my corrective lenses therein) from leaving my body altogether.

Additional stupid trick I like--cold? while horizontal, exhale through your nose. Some of that nice warm air goes from your mask skirt up into your hood--ah, bliss! (here's where you may want a slightly larger air hole to let it out ;-). My other stupid and cheap warmth tricks are Playtex gloves under my tropical gloves, and those little triathlon swim cap(s) under the hood.

Plus that, uh, other stay-warm trick when wetsuited, but I shall leave that one alone.... ;-)

Lots of good advice here.

As for the Scubapro hood shown in the OP, I have one of them that came with my drysuit. I hated it. It was way too snug around my neck. Especially with the drysuit neck seal. I replaced it early on with another brand (that I cannot remember) that was only marginally better. I am now using a Waterproof H1 5/7mm that is much more comfortable for me. Everyone is different though, and I know several who have been happy with the Scubapro hood.

Try a few, and go with the one that fits you best/is most comfortable.

If you have not used a hood before, I would recommend spending some time before you go getting used to it. Local O/W students here will generally be asked to bring their hoods to their last pool session to get used to the hood before their OW checkout dives. If you can't get pool time, then spend some dry time with it on to get used to it. It is not unusual to be a bit uncomfortable/claustrophobic with it at first. I wouldn't want you to have a negative experience on your first dives on this vacation due to a new piece of unfamiliar gear.

Let me be diplomatic and just say that that depends on whether or not you want full performance from our hood. Just like a wetsuit, the slacker the hood is, the more water will circulate under it and increase your heat loss.

If you want maximum performance from your hood, it should be snug, to the limit of discomfort.

I totally agree with one thing, if it is loose to the point that "extra" water can circulate under it then it may be to the point that you might as well not have it. On the other hand.....if the fit is such that it hurts your lower jaw and mouth area so bad you cant dive anyways then where is the loss??? Either way you cannot dive. My hood is not loose on my head and water does not circulate, but it is not snug and absolutely does not squeeze me either and it works just fine. Maybe it's just me, maybe "slack" is a bad word to use to describe what I am after. Whatever word we choose, if the hood hurts then it's useless anyway.

Thanks for so many responses. You've taught me a lot so far. Following are some of the highlights that were mentioned in one or more posts (and number of times mentioned):

(7) Proper fit - try them on/hood shouldn't interfere with mask/can trim hood
(7) For temps I described (68-70℉) - hood not needed/bib not worth it/use thinner hood
(6) Consider hooded vest
(6) Vented top/vent vertical and horizontal/use coat hangar to make holes
(3) When descending, let water in ear canals/equalizing/middle ear barotrauma
(2) Pressure/fatigue on lower jaw can be a factor (could have maybe put this with proper fit)
(2) Mask strap inside hood/other comments make clear strap is on outside(i.e. hood doesn't interfere with mask)
(2) Bib for wetsuit gets tucked in/bibless for drysuit
(2) Cold around neck may be a consideration
(1) Okay to use bibless with wetsuit
(1) Bib may reduce movement
(1) Get a cheap one (for me, that goes without saying - SALE PRICE!)

My thought process is that for the amount of time I would use something on my head (7 days/2 tank dives) and the temperatures mentioned, I should be okay with some thinner neoprene and not have to worry about extensive coverage (considering I wasn't affected around the neck area in my few prior dives in 70℉ water.)

Just to add to my knowledge, and since I omitted it before, are there different ideas on using a beanie, which would seem to fit the ticket if I was looking for a little added head warmth?

And to add one more question if anyone wants to respond - my buddy has a beard. Any special tricks for him? Seems like the beanie might be a good option for him also.

Been diving in 60 degree water for the past 2 weeks. I’d never used a hood before. All I can say is, I have not seen anyone complain their hood is too thick, so in general get as thick as you can. Bib does make a difference, if you are using a wetsuit I would certainly recommend one.

They do take a bit of getting used to, the first dive will be awful and you will feel very restricted. After this you will be fine.
As for mask and reg restriction, not had any issue.

Been diving in 60 degree water for the past 2 weeks. I’d never used a hood before. All I can say is, I have not seen anyone complain their hood is too thick, so in general get as thick as you can. Bib does make a difference, if you are using a wetsuit I would certainly recommend one.

They do take a bit of getting used to, the first dive will be awful and you will feel very restricted. After this you will be fine.

I really think anything over 3mm would be overkill for the temps the OP is talking about (69-70F/20-21C), but of course it depends on personal tolerance. 60F is a fair bit cooler. I was diving in 22C (72F) a couple of months ago without a hood, no probs. IMHO, Less is more :cool:

Just to add to my knowledge, and since I omitted it before, are there different ideas on using a beanie, which would seem to fit the ticket if I was looking for a little added head warmth?

I don't have any experience of diving beanies but I would've thought you'd be better off with a hood if you're going to wear anything. Honestly, compared to a couple of (thicker) rentals I used, my 3mm Fourth Element hood is very comfy for me, I hardly notice its there after a while (apart from the ear thing, which was my fault and could've easily been avoided).
Edit: I think I should add that the problems with my ears probably mainly happened when taking the hood off at the end of my first dive with it, I didn't particularly notice any issues equalizing during the dive. The seal achieved by the glideskin lining created suction on my ears when I took it off, hence the (thankfully relatively mild) reverse block. So allowing water around the ears at the beginning of the dive stops that from happening.

Last edited:

While that might be true I can guarantee that, if thinner hoods provided sufficient insulation, most divers would switch to them. They only go for the thick hoods due to temperatures - the thicker the hood the harder movement becomes.

I have to say when I am diving in reasonably warm waters the hood is one of the first things to get left behind with gloves being the next thing.

if the fit is such that it hurts your lower jaw and mouth area so bad you cant dive anyways then where is the loss???
That's not "to the limit of discomfort". It's quite a bit beyond the limit.

That's not "to the limit of discomfort". It's quite a bit beyond the limit.

How many hairs do we really need to split over this??????? If it hurts {discomfort}.....at all{big galactic surprise here, limit reached at "any" when trying to have fun} ......it is no good to me and I aint doing it. I would think most divers feel the same way about pain, discomfort, inconvenience or any other word you want to use to describe negative feeling, especially when they are trying to have fun.
Now, if I am employed as a diver and making big dollars to stand it....my threshold goes up according to my hourly rate, but for having fun and enjoying the dive I think ZERO pain is appropriate. I figured I had better throw this in so we don't have to split yet another hair over it.

Back
Top Bottom