scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope. If you want apples vs. apples, you look at quality, not price. Tying up price with quality in BPW world is not representative. Now, I'll confess that I have never seen DGE or DSS stuff in person, but somehow, I don't think all the people here touting about good quality of those brands are wrong or lying. Reason I don't use them myself is that at my location, Apeks is better choice for me (read cheaper).
Most or all of my BPW gear is from DGE, I just had had them ship to my LDS and got everything assembled there. They're great products, and I'm sure the HP and other brands are great too, but I'm more on the camp of research and purchase what works for you, do not rely on a name or high price point to determine your decision. I personally have never used a HP myself but at over $800+ and the fact that I cannot switch out wings, plates, or harnesses to adapt to my diving needs/environments, it's a tough sell for me personally.

My personal shopping style for some items is to try before I buy. I am 6' 2" tall and 175 lbs. ,According to SP, the L sized HP is the correct size for my height. However, when I tried it at my LDS, I found it to be too large. The size that fit me was size M. If I had been 250 lbs, the L size would have been the correct fit because the harness straps would have been longer.

This does not mean that it do not buy stuff off the internet, I've bought a PLB, dive cannister, reef hook, etc. But with shipping to Malaysia and import taxes, buying stuff from DGE is not the optimum solution. There are always service and warranty considerations.

I'm doing my research, and what I've see so far are the BPW offerings from SP and Apeks. I didn"t like the SP but thought the Apeks was quite good. Based on my limited sample, I find that BPWs are more expensive than the HP. There may be cheaper offerings, but It is certainly indispensable that there are at least two, and probably more, BPWs that are more expensive than the HP.

Is a Nissan as good as a BMW? Are GAP jeans as good as Armani jeans? Some people mar answer "yes" but others may answer "no". Is a cheap BPW as good as an expensive BPW? If it is, there are certainly a lot of BPW users who are buying the expensive stuff,

I think we need to compare apples with apples. In this case, I respectfully suggest that it would entail comparing a SP HP to a SP BPW, or a BPW from a brand that is comparable to SP. The fact that there are cheaper BPWs from brands that target a lower price point or income bracket is, at least to me, neither here not there because the person who buys a SP HP may probably not look to purchase those brands.

The Hydros Pro is a top of the line integrated BCD. If you want to compare apples to apples, you would compare it to a top of the line BP/W. ScubaPro does NOT make a BP/W that I would consider to be anywhere near top of the line. Top of the line BP/W rig brands would include (strictly in my opinion) Dive Rite, Halcyon, Deep Sea Supply, Deep 6 Gear. And there are others - that is just a list of some of the "top" manufacturers.

As one "apple", you can get a complete Deep Sea Supply BP/W rig for $460.

I have been diving just over 3 years. I bought a BP/W immediately after finishing my initial OW certification and have dived nothing else (for back mount) since. I currently have 3 BPs and 5 (or more?) wings. I am an avowed BP/W lover.

I bought a Hydros Pro on Thursday. I used it in the pool yesterday and today while helping to teach some OW students.

The Hydros Pro is awesome! The highlights on what I like:

- With a 3/2mm full wetsuit and an HP100 steel tank, I needed no weights at all. I ran my tank yesterday down to about 350 psi. I could still descend with no effort from the surface with just an exhale. I dived it today and tried an AL80 that I ran down until it got hard to breathe and my AI SPG showed just 85 psi left. With the tank that empty, I could descend and stay down with 4 # of lead, but I had to really mind my breathing. With 6#, I could descend and stay on the bottom, no problem. Side note to this: When I dive a single steel tank, my 3/2 suit, and my normal stainless steel BP/W, apparently, I am actually somewhere around 5# over weighted....

- I was able to achieve good trim very easily. It was actually easier than with my BP/W. With my BP/W, it seems like it concentrates more of the weight closer to my butt and makes my feet more prone to sink. I end up setting my tank up as high as I can, to get the weight up higher. That means I hit my head on my 1st stage (just a little bit) when trying to be flat and look straight ahead. The Hydros does not have that weight down around waist, so I was able to set the tank in a little lower, where I can't quite touch my 1st stage with my head and I'm still able to get flat in the water. At this point, I'm comparing the Hydros to my current single tank rig which has a Freedom Contour Plate for the back plate. Maybe the shape of the Freedom plate itself is an issue. Maybe a normal BP that doesn't have that dog bone shape would have the weight a little higher and make my feet be not quite so prone to sinking. Regardless, the Hydros let me get good trim immediately with a comfortable tank position.

- It goes on easily. Once on and cinched down, I don't even feel it on me and it does not move at all. The material definitely has some "tack" to keep it from sliding around on my wetsuit. No crotch strap needed.

- It doesn't have (or need) any padding.

- Even with the standard weight pockets on it, the front/chest area feels pretty "not cluttered". And, it comes with the extra straps to let me remove the weight pockets, replace them with just plain webbing (all quickly and easily), and have no more "clutter" around my waist or front than what I have with my usual BP/W rig.

- It has trim weight pockets on the wing itself. Given how little weight I need, those pockets should handle any that I do need, so I don't anticipate a problem in removing the waist belt QR weight pockets and using what they call the "travel" waist belt straps. Which means the whole rig will pack down to be very compact, in a suitcase, for example.

- The wing is a lot higher capacity than I need, but the bungee system seems to keep it pretty well streamlined. Also, a normal concern for using a "too big" wing is not being able to dump gas out of it when you only have a little bit in it. I was using minimal gas in the wing and I had no trouble with dumping it as needed.

Things I don't like as much:

- All the plastic clips and buckles. There's no doubt that my BP/W is much more bulletproof. A tank will not fall over onto my BP/W and break anything. With the Hydros, that seems like something that actually could happen.

And that is really all I can think of that I really don't like as much. It's not a tech rig. I wouldn't use it for technical dives. So, things like the extra shoulder dump valve and the big plastic pull knobs for the dump valves don't really bother me.

Since I already have a plethora of BP/Ws, you might wonder why I would buy the Hydros. That answer is simple: I'm a fairly new OW instructor and I'm helping teach classes regularly. Our students are fitted with normal integrated BCDs, including quick release weight pockets. With my BP/W, I have not been able to do a proper demo to students of things like weight pocket remove and replace and BCD remove and replace. In classes so far, one of the other instructors has always done those demos. I wanted an integrated BCD for myself, to use when I'm teaching, so that I can demonstrate the complete list of skills myself.

Now that I have actually tried the Hydros, I will be seriously debating whether to use it or my BP/W for any future single tank "fun" dives that I do.

One last note about what I think of the BP/W Myth. Ever since I started diving, I have seen many posts here on SB that, essentially, suggest that if you start off with a BP/W, you will be already set in case you eventually decide to pursue tech diving. The implication is that you will save money by already having a BP and for tech diving, you can just buy a different wing, slap it on the same BP you've been using, and go. I call it the BP/W Myth because I don't personally know a single certified tech diver that has only one BP and uses it for both single tank and doubles diving. If you decide to go tech, whether you already have a BP/W or not, you will almost certainly end up buying not just a doubles wing but also a BP (or a second BP, if you already have one for single tank diving).

You can save money by starting with a BP/W, yes. But, that is because you can get a decent BP/W rig for around $300 (or maybe even less with suitable shopping skillz). And most people that buy an integrated BCD spend more. But then, a lot of people who buy a BP/W also spend more. Regardless, I don't think anyone saves money on the road to tech diving by virtue of buying a BP/W as their first OW BCD. You MAY spread out the spending a little by starting with just 1 BP and 2 wings (one for single tank and one for doubles), but you will almost certainly end up with a 2nd BP at some point.

In the end, even though I went down the BP/W road when I started diving, looking back, I just really don't see that path as having all the advantages that I read about here. To me, the only major advantage is that you can buy a nice BP/W for a lot less money than what you'd spend for most (but not all) integrated BCDs that are on the nicer side. E.g. No way I would have bought a Hydros at normal street price. But, working at a shop has its perks and I got the Hydros for what I consider to be a pretty reasonable price for a nice BCD (of any type).

One other thing that people tout about a BP/W is how it can be made to fit anyone. That is pretty true. But, if I want something to fit ME, do I really care if what I buy can fit anyone else? I don't personally put much value in the fact that I could make my BP/W fit anyone from really small to really big. They're such a pain to adjust and "fit" to someone, that I would be pretty reluctant to let anyone else use my BP/W anyway, unless they would very close to my size and could dive it with no adjustments. OTOH, if you want to borrow my Hydros, no problem! It won't accommodate the extremes of size like a BP/W will, but it will accommodate a pretty big size range - and it's much quicker and easier to change it from fitting someone else to fitting me.

Last, the BP/W fans talk about how a BP/W lets you achieve better trim and use less lead. Well, it's true you can use less lead. If the BP weighs 5 or 6 # and you are using 5 or more pounds of lead, then sure, you can use less lead. But, if you aren't using any lead now, then a BP is just putting you in the position of being over weighted and nothing you can do about it. Also, with the BP, you don't have much control over where the weight is distributed. For most people, that's not a real problem and they can still achieve good trim. But, some people turn out to need their weight distributed differently, in order to get good trim. In those cases, it can actually be an advantage to NOT have 5 or 6 # in a BP and, instead, have that weight in the form of lead that you can position wherever you need it. Up high, on a tank strap, to counter feet that want to sink. On a waist belt, to try and counter a tendency to go head down/feet up. A neutral "BP" (like the Hydros Pro, for example) is actually MORE flexible than a traditional BP, when it comes to dialing in trim. All that said, if you are diving in colder water, you probably use more lead and then a SS BP can definitely be nice for letting you use less lead, but still enough to position wherever you need in order to get good trim.

So, to the OP, if you haven't bought something yet, and you are willing to spend the money for a Hydros Pro, I suspect you would be very happy with it. OTOH, if you want to save some bucks, a good BP/W setup will probably cost a lot less and, in the end, I suspect you would be very happy with it, too - after you invest the time to get it fitted and adjusted properly for you.

Last edited:
Hi, I just tried a hydrospro in a pool and I had the problem where it kept tipping me forward. I could not stay in a horizontal position when I tried a safety stop position. We adjusted a few pounds of weight to the bottom front of the rig but it only helped a little. I've been diving 40 years and never had this problem. I was told this would be much worse with a bp/w. So I"m sort of afraid to consider a bw/p. How do people adjust for this?

I would start with sliding the tank down in the tank strap, so it's lower on your body. Moving it down an inch can make a noticeable difference. Move it down even more, if needed. The Hydros Pro's tank strap is positioned pretty low. It will allow you to adjust the tank position down extremely low before it would fail to hold the tank securely.

You can also try different fins that are more negative. The Hollis F1 LT fins are about 1# negative (size L, in fresh water) and they are really great fins. The non-LT version of the Hollis F1 is even more negative and also really great.

I did not have this problem at all, with a steel or aluminum tank, and I was using neutral fins (Deep6 Eddy fins).

The Hydros Pro is a top of the line integrated BCD. If you want to compare apples to apples, you would compare it to a top of the line BP/W. ScubaPro does NOT make a BP/W that I would consider to be anywhere near top of the line. Top of the line BP/W rig brands would include (strictly in my opinion) Dive Rite, Halcyon, Deep Sea Supply, Deep 6 Gear. And there are others - that is just a list of some of the "top" manufacturers.

As one "apple", you can get a complete Deep Sea Supply BP/W rig for $460.

I have been diving just over 3 years. I bought a BP/W immediately after finishing my initial OW certification and have dived nothing else (for back mount) since. I currently have 3 BPs and 5 (or more?) wings. I am avowed BP/W lover.

I bought a Hydros Pro on Thursday. I used in the pool yesterday and today while helping to teach some OW students.

The Hydros Pro is awesome! The highlights on what I like:

- With a 3/2mm full wetsuit and an HP100 steel tank, I needed no weights at all. I ran my tank yesterday down to about 350 psi. I could still descend with no effort from the surface with just an exhale. I dived it today and tried an AL80 that I ran down until it got hard to breathe and my AI SPG showed just 85 psi left. With the tank that empty, I could descend and stay down with 4 # of lead, but I had to really mind my breathing. With 6#, I could descend and stay on the bottom, no problem. Side note to this: When I dive a single steel tank, my 3/2 suit, and my normal stainless steel BP/W, apparently, I am actually somewhere around 5# over weighted....

- I was able to achieve good trim very easily. It was actually easier than with my BP/W. With my BP/W, it seems like it concentrates more of the weight closer to my butt and makes my feet more prone to sink. I end up setting my tank up as high as I can, to get the weight up higher. That means I hit my head on my 1st stage (just a little bit) when trying to be flat and look straight ahead. The Hydros does not have that weight down around waist, so I was able to set the tank in a little lower, where I can't quite touch my 1st stage with my head and I'm still able to get flat in the water. At this point, I'm comparing the Hydros to my current single tank rig which has a Freedom Contour Plate for the back plate. Maybe the shape of the Freedom plate itself is an issue. Maybe a normal BP that doesn't have that dog bone shape would have the weight a little higher and make my feet be not quite so prone to sinking. Regardless, the Hydros let me get good trim immediately with a comfortable tank position.

- It goes on easily. Once on and cinched down, I don't even feel it on me and it does not move at all. The material definitely has some "tack" to keep it from sliding around on my wetsuit. No crotch strap needed.

- It doesn't have (or need) any padding.

- Even with the standard weight pockets on it, the front/chest area feels pretty "not cluttered". And, it comes with the extra straps to let me remove the weight pockets, replace them with just plain webbing (all quickly and easily), and have no more "clutter" around my waist or front than what I have with my usual BP/W rig.

- It has trim weight pockets on the wing itself. Given how little weight I need, those pockets should handle any that I do need, so I don't anticipate a problem in removing the waist belt QR weight pockets and using that whey call the "travel" waist belt straps. Which means the whole rig will pack down to be very compact, in a suitcase, for example.

- The wing is a lot higher capacity than I need, but the bungee system seems to keep it pretty well streamlined. Also, a normal concern for using a "too big" wing is not being able to dump gas out of it when you only have a little bit in it. I was using minimal gas in the wing and I had no trouble with dumping it as needed.

Things I don't like as much:

- All the plastic clips and buckles. There's no doubt that my BP/W is much more bulletproof. A tank will not fall over onto my BP/W and break anything. With the Hydros, that seems like something that actually could happen.

And that is really all I can think of that I really don't like as much. It's not a tech rig. I wouldn't use it for technical dives. So, things like the extra shoulder dump valve and the big plastic pull knobs for the dump valves don't really bother me.

Since I already have a plethora of BP/Ws, you might wonder why I would buy the Hydros. That answer is simple: I'm a fairly new OW instructor and I'm helping teach classes regularly. Our students are fitted with normal integrated BCDs, including quick release weight pockets. With my BP/W, I have not been able to do a proper demo to students of things like weight pocket remove and replace and BCD remove and replace. In classes so far, one of the other instructors has always done those demos. I wanted an integrated BCD for myself, to use when I'm teaching, so that I can demonstrate the complete list of skills myself.

Now that I have actually tried the Hydros, I will be seriously debating whether to use it or my BP/W for any future single tank "fun" dives that I do.

One last note about what I think of the BP/W Myth. Ever since I started diving, I have seen many posts here on SB that, essentially, suggest that if you start off with a BP/W, you will be already set in case you eventually decide to pursue tech diving. The implication is that you will save money by already having a BP and for tech diving, you can just buy a different wing, slap it on the same BP you've been using, and go. I call it the BP/W Myth because I don't personally know a single certified tech diver that has only one BP and uses it for both single tank and doubles diving. If you decide to go tech, whether you already have a BP/W or not, you will almost certainly end up buying not just a doubles wing but also a BP (or a second BP, if you already have one for single tank diving).

You can save money by starting with a BP/W, yes. But, that is because you can get a decent BP/W rig for around $300 (or maybe even less with suitable shopping skillz). And most people that buy an integrated BCD spend more. But then, a lot of people who buy a BP/W also spend more. Regardless, I don't think anyone saves money on the road to tech diving by virtue of buying a BP/W as their first OW BCD. You MAY spread out the spending a little by starting with just 1 BP and 2 wings (one for single tank and one for doubles), but you will almost certainly end up with a 2nd BP at some point.

In the end, even though I went down the BP/W road when I started diving, looking back, I just really don't see that path as having all the advantages that I read about here. To me, the only major advantage is that you can buy a nice BP/W for a lot less money than what you'd spend for most (but not all) integrated BCDs that are on the nicer side. E.g. No way I would have bought a Hydros at normal street price. But, working at a shop has its perks and I got the Hydros for what I consider to be a pretty reasonable price for a nice BCD (of any type).

One other thing that people tout about a BP/W is how it can be made to fit anyone. That is pretty true. But, if I want something to fit ME, do I really care if what I buy can fit anyone else? I don't personally put much value in the fact that I could make my BP/W fit anyone from really small to really big. They're such a pain to adjust and "fit" to someone, that I would be pretty reluctant to let anyone else use my BP/W anyway, unless they would very close to my size and could dive it with no adjustments. OTOH, if you want to borrow my Hydros, no problem! It won't accommodate the extremes of size like a BP/W will, but it will accommodate a pretty big size range - and it's much quicker and easier to change it from fitting someone else to fitting me.

Last, the BP/W fans talk about how a BP/W lets you achieve better trim and use less lead. Well, it's true you can use less lead. If the BP weighs 5 or 6 # and you are using 5 or more pounds of lead, then sure, you can use less lead. But, if you aren't using any lead now, then a BP is just putting you in the position of being over weighted and nothing you can do about it. Also, with the BP, you don't have much control over where the weight is distributed. For most people, that's not a real problem and they can still achieve good trim. But, some people turn out to been their weight distributed differently, in order to get good trim. In those cases, it can actually be and advantage to NOT have 5 or 6 # in a BP and, instead, have that weight in the form of lead that you can position wherever you need it. Up high, on a tank strap, to counter feet that want to sink. On a waist belt, to try and counter a tendency to go head down/feet up. A neutral "BP" (like the Hydros Pro, for example) is actually MORE flexible than a traditional BP, when it comes to dialing in trim. All that said, if you are diving in colder water, you probably use more lead and then a SS BP can definitely be nice for letting you use less lead, but still enough to position wherever you need in order to get good trim.

So, to the OP, if you haven't bought something yet, and you are willing to spend the money for a Hydros Pro, I suspect you would be very happy with it. OTOH, if you want to save some bucks, a good BP/W setup will probably cost a lot less and, in the end, I suspect you would be very happy with it, too - after you invest the time to get it fitted and adjusted properly

How... long....did....it...take...to...write....that?

Thanks for the great write up.

But, some people turn out to been their weight distributed differently, in order to get good trim. In those cases, it can actually be and advantage to NOT have 5 or 6 # in a BP and, instead, have that weight in the form of lead that you can position wherever you need it.
You can get an aluminum backplate, which at 1 lb. negative is essentially neutral, and then move the lead as needed for trim. And even attach it to the plate, with zip ties and gorilla tape, once you know where you need it.

Thanks for the great write up.

You can get an aluminum backplate, which at 1 lb. negative is essentially neutral, and then move the lead as needed for trim. And even attach it to the plate, with zip ties and gorilla tape, once you know where you need it.

Thank you!

Understood on the aluminum plate. Question: If you know you are only going to use it for single tank diving, why buy an aluminum plate instead of, for example, a much less expensive soft plate? E.g. An Oxycheq Ultralight, or the Mares XR soft plate.

Thank you!

Understood on the aluminum plate. Question: If you know you are only going to use it for single tank diving, why buy an aluminum plate instead of, for example, a much less expensive soft plate? E.g. An Oxycheq Ultralight, or the Mares XR soft plate.
I do not have experience with soft plates. My thought is they would allow much more tank roll side to side than a rigid plate. Which I think would bug me, as I've been bugged when my STA was loose.

Also I think attaching trim weights to them might not go as cleanly. I've got several 1 lb trim weights strapped high up on both my aluminum and steel plates. Which is easy using their edge holes and strap slots, cinching the weight tight with zip ties and then gorilla tape. I think that would bunch up the fabric of a soft plate, but I have not tried. The Mares does has some edge holes lower down. The rigid metal plate just seems a more solid base to do any customization from, and it forms one solid unit with the weights when done. For trim and travel, something like the Halcyon travel plate, with its built it weight pockets up the back would seem better than aluminum, as you do not have to carry the weight with you, but still get lateral stability.

Yeah, I don't know. I have not actually used one of those soft plates. But, the Hydros is soft and definitely didn't have any stability issues with it. To be fair, though, the Hydros has a plastic base that cradles the tank. Even though the base is not nearly as wide as a normal BP, I'm sure it adds some stability. I wonder if any of those soft plates have any kind of stabilizer base built in. Also, an AL80 is never *that* far from neutral in the water. So, even if there were no stiff base at all, that's not much weight to be worried about having flop around. I mean, a decent-sized dive light clipped to your front could have just as much weight flopping around. How much instability can it really cause?

Also, though the tank may be perfectly stable against a hard BP, my experience has been that a normal hard BP will itself move around a bit on my back. E.g. if I roll to one side and then back, I will usually need to do a little shrug to shift the BP back to the center of my back. It doesn't move very much, but it does move. Except for my Freedom Contour plate. That one hugs my back and does not move at all. And neither does the Hydros Pro. So, again, I'm back to thinking that the very slight buoyancy advantage of an aluminum hard plate really is negligible (compared to the Hydros), and there is no stability advantage. I actually think the Hydros may have a small advantage in stability, compared to a normal BP/W, for single tank use.

As for trim weights, I use 2 trim weight pockets on my tank strap. I have done that when needed with my BP/W and I would do it with the Hydros or a soft plate, if needed. I have never felt a need to attach hard weights directly to the BP. With the trim weight pouches pushed right up against the BP, I am skeptical that anyone could tell the difference versus having the weight affixed to the plate itself.

If I really wanted to position trim weights in a spot that the tank strap(s) did not work for, I think I would look at using an extra cam band or QR tank strap by itself. Put trim weight pouches on that and put it around the tank at whatever spot on the tank I wanted. Fortunately, I have never needed to go to such lengths.

I have had the monoprene shoulder straps on the Hydros Pro break twice on me. The first time I had to send the BCD away to have new straps fitted. 7 dives after receiving the repaired BCD back... a shoulder strap has gone again. (This happened last week) I love diving with this BCD... but this fault is ridiculous. Apparently, they are suggesting that the BCD must never be picked up by the shoulder strap when fully rigged.

Back
Top Bottom