Galapogos - Liveaboard but see Land Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malarky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Will do Wolf and Darwin. See the hammerheads and whale sharks. Got it.

But what Liveaboards provide maximum (quality and quantity) land based adventures? Or should I just consider that pre or post boat?

Aggressor offers 2 daytrips
M/V Galapagos Sky offers 3 daytrips
Galapagos Master offers 3 daytrips (on the 10 day itinerary)

Recommendations on seeing the local flora and fauna are much appreciated!

In Galapagos, liveaboards are limited to 1 restricted land site per week, usually either Bartolome or N. Seymour. Restricted sites are those land visits normally limited to naturalist cruises. Other land visits are open sites, like the visitor's station at the National Park, the Interpretation Center in San Cristobal, the town of Puerto Ayora, etc. Most liveaboards do visit a private ranch in the Highlands to see the giant tortoises. Naturalist cruises are not permitted to dive at all.

It is best to do a land based extension for topside if you can't do back to back cruises. Preferred extensions begin in Santa Cruz due to limitations on public transport by boat to other islands. All day tour boats to restricted sites (Bartolome, N. Seymour, Santa Fe, Plazas, etc) are from Santa Cruz. Isabela is a boat ride from Santa Cruz, 2 boats plus a 4.5 hour layover between from San Cristobal. If you are on a liveaboard that departs from San Cristobal, you will need to disembark after your final full day and overnight in Santa Cruz. You will also need to fly into San Cristobal and out of Baltra.

And here your page laid out the day-trips. Thank you!

Looks like I'll sign up for Aggressor or Nortada and save myself the trouble of getting to Santa Cruz. Follow it up with a multi-day trek and I'll be good!

Hi Malarky - you mention signing up for Aggressor or Nortada - very different operations and I would suggest that you do not dis-regard the operations that start from San Cristobal, as many clients disembark on Santa Cruz where they visit on the final day before steaming overnight to San Cristobal. They each have slightly different itineraries that you can see on our website Galapagos Liveaboards but depending on what season you plan to travel, the Humboldt Explorer does distinguish itself by spending four dive days at Darwin & Wolf, while others spend three days there. Advantages of others is that they spend a day at Punta Vicente Roca and Cape Douglas which is known for the mola mola and marine iguanas. Many things to consider when planning such a trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom