Who's Been to Turks & Caicos Since Hurricanes Hit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brodydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are the reefs looking like since the Hurricanes came through a few months ago? I'd wanted to do a liveaboard trip there in May of next year but wondering if it's too soon.

I know one of the companies posted a report right after the hurricanes came through saying all is well but I also read a report from someone here stating that a lot of the reefs were sand covered, so I'm not sure I can fully believe the liveaboard company reports.

What are the reefs looking like since the Hurricanes came through a few months ago? I'd wanted to do a liveaboard trip there in May of next year but wondering if it's too soon.

I know one of the companies posted a report right after the hurricanes came through saying all is well but I also read a report from someone here stating that a lot of the reefs were sand covered, so I'm not sure I can fully believe the liveaboard company reports.
Hey Brodydog, From what I heard the only affected reefs maybe the shallower sites near Grace Bay. Since you're going on one of the livaboards, you'll be visiting the more remote dive sites, well far away from the affected areas. Recent reports from both Aggressor and Explorer Ventures report little to no damage. Remember that Turks are primarily all deep wall sites so damage may not be as widespread as people think. If I were you, I would have no hesitation going there even now.

We just got back from the Turks and Caicos Aggressor the second last week of November 2017. The diving was good. There was a little bit of sand on the coral, there was some broken coral. But overall the visibility was pretty good to really good (80'+) except at French Cay- there the viz went down to about 50', but the sharks were fun at French Cay anyway. Enjoy your trip. But I am pretty sure every single roof on the island sustained some kind of damage.

@Brodydog , if you are looking at a Live Aboard in TCI, I would like to say that I can highly recommend the Turks and Caicos Explorer 2. It is not a "5 Star Resort", but I have never been on a live aboard where I was made to feel more at home. The diving was good, the crew were professional and yet very friendly (before long they will seem like family complete with some good natured ribbing), the cabins are comfortable and the food was good.

I love Explorer Ventures as a company and especially the Turks and Caicos itinerary. We've done that trip 2 or 3 times with them. It's one of my favorite Caribbean destinations. And all of EV's staff are always great but I really like JF as a captain and that Stan can cook some great meals.

I love Explorer Ventures as a company and especially the Turks and Caicos itinerary. We've done that trip 2 or 3 times with them. It's one of my favorite Caribbean destinations. And all of EV's staff are always great but I really like JF as a captain and that Stan can cook some great meals.

I don't understand the love for Stan. I thought that his food absolutely sucked. The worst that i have ever had on a liveaboard. On top of that, he is a complete *******. Thankfully, he is no longer working on the boat

I don't understand the love for Stan. I thought that his food absolutely sucked. The worst that i have ever had on a liveaboard. On top of that, he is a complete *******. Thankfully, he is no longer working on the boat
Sorry some folks have some bad experience with Stan. I've been on this vessel 3x and I've only had positive experiences with him. He's definitely not the easiest person to talk to and his food may be a little underwhelming but you have to see the overall experience with EV, not just the food/chef. If anyone had a personal bad experience on the these trips, reach out to corporate and provide them feedback-it's just a shame to see this kind of feedback here.

Sorry some folks have some bad experience with Stan. I've been on this vessel 3x and I've only had positive experiences with him. He's definitely not the easiest person to talk to and his food may be a little underwhelming but you have to see the overall experience with EV, not just the food/chef. If anyone had a personal bad experience on the these trips, reach out to corporate and provide them feedback-it's just a shame to see this kind of feedback here.

I love the Explorer II and will be on the boat again in a few weeks. I was not saying that as a representation of the boat overall. I find it my favorite boat in the caribbean and surely the most fun liveaboard i have ever been on..I just thought Stan was a dick, that's all. Not enough to call corporate and get the guy fired though. I tried to talk to him and he was abrasive at best. He is gone now anyway so who cares.

Jo, Pippa (when she was on the boat) and JF are freaking awesome. Andy(Andrea) is a great guide as well. best crew i have ever seen on a liveaboard.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom