Recreational dive poll - Nitrox

On LOB or day-boat recreational trips I have been on:

• Most other divers analyze their own nitrox, either with their analyzer or with the boat’s analyzer

Votes: 103 89.6%
  • Most divers let the crew analyze their nitrox and usually do not look at the gauge

Votes: 12 10.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yle, Interesting. And that's Cozumel, not exactly off the beaten path for scuba.

I don't know about the crew/shop requiring you to analyze tanks yourself while they watch--instead of the other way around. The last time I dived nitrox was (I think) at least 5 years ago. I would feel better watching THEM do it, since I don't own an analyzer and basically analyzed my own only during the nitrox course in 2006. I do know that you calibrate for Air ( almost 21%) first, then check the nitrox tank--and I can read what it says when they analyze and I look at their analyzer. Then round up or down, etc.

Similarly, I don't own an O2 kit. I asked the shop owner to go over assembling it for me again and wrote down the steps, reviewing them once weekly (though when I was assisting courses I did play with the shop one now and again). Not gunna buy a $700 O2 kit for a situation that may occur once the rest of my life (especially when one is most likely to be on the boat along with crew that has used it regularly). Likewise with an analyzer. Not an exact analogy, but same idea.

Last edited:
I was recently on a LOB in Raja Ampat, and I watched what other divers did and also asked them about it.

Virtually NO ONE either analyzed their own tanks or watched the DMs do it.

- Bill
Nobody to blame but themselves...

As a LOB operator, my job was to observe others analyze (and log) their nitrox readings with my or their analyzer. I understand that this was American market and American insurance and it was an insurance requirement for each diver to analyze their own gas. I get that in other parts of the world self reliance on what folks are putting into their bodies isn't perhaps as important as it is here.

Similar to Wookie, a guide in SE Asia, I observe my team, or other divers, analyse their nitrox readings with the ships analyser. I some boats, I make sure they log their nitrox results.

Similar to Wookie, a guide in SE Asia, I observe my team, or other divers, analyse their nitrox readings with the ships analyser. I some boats, I make sure they log their nitrox results.

Charlie, in your experience what percentage of recreational divers observe the analyzer results? What percentage would do so if you didn't push them to do so?

- Bill

[/QUOTE]

Charlie, in your experience what percentage of recreational divers observe the analyzer results? What percentage would do so if you didn't push them to do so?
- Bill
Bill - Good question. On our weekend two night trips out of Singapore, most divers analysed their tanks and recorded their results using the ships analyser. For longer LoB trips, my guess is about about 50% of the divers analysed their results. I never really pushed anyone to make their own analyses, but I would quietly do it for them and tell them the results. In addition, I would gently ask if they updated the results on their computer. Recently, I noticed that the crew put the Nitrox results up on a white board next to each divers name. On this boat, most divers did it themselves or asked the DM to help out. charlie

How difficult it is to analyse it personally?
I had never ever relied anyone to do such a trivial but important procedure.

How difficult it is to analyse it personally?
I had never ever relied anyone to do such a trivial but important procedure.

Scuba Board participants are hardly representative of the scuba dive population.

Back
Top Bottom