Helmets For Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Helmet mounted lights are fairly common. Ask a commercial diver. One issue is it causes bad backscatter with illuminating particles in the water. Otherwise it works quite well. I don't commonly wear a helmet while diving.

Now regarding the underwater racing. I could suggest considering other safety factors more seriously before a helmet. Such as neck bracing perhaps. It is a different environment. Just sticking on a helmet doesn't necessarily made it any safer.
Already thinking about that, but hadn't thought of the neck bracing. (I would like to say I am only acting as a recovery diver, helping the pilot get out in an emergency and picking up the bits that fall off. Helmet was the first thing to come to mind as things are gonna be passed down from a boat (like spanners and lead weights) which could easily drop onto the diver. The most important safety factor Ive thought of so far is to use my larger XDeep Zeos (nearly twice the buoyancy I need when full) so that I can relatively safely carry heavier objects and if needs be the pilot. What are peoples ideas to this (I ran it past a few instructors who said it was probably a good idea, but though it might be interesting to see the communitys thoughts on this)?

Sure people use them, that doesn't mean it is not generally agreed to be a bad idea. However, if you need both hands free and be able to see then you need a light source from somewhere. In tight restrictions the buddy or other divers might not be able to illuminate what you need to see. As with helmets there are types of cave diving - big open places and low vis sumps. So never say never, but the general consensus is not to use head mounted lighting. (Of course the predicament is easily overcome with the on/off switch)
Being from Britain (the home of sump diving), in case I ever do take up cave diving, I think I might just design a helmet that can take enough light to be of use, but adapt it so it can run with as few lights as I need.

You're a recover/safety diver. It seems common sense to me to not be under the boat when they are passing down tools. That way you cannot get hit. If they drop something and you are to retrieve it, then all of their activities should stop. There needs to be communication among all parties. I have been a safety diver for a couple events but I was not submerged while waiting. If you see yourself being under water, what is your backup?

You're a recover/safety diver. It seems common sense to me to not be under the boat when they are passing down tools. That way you cannot get hit. If they drop something and you are to retrieve it, then all of their activities should stop. There needs to be communication among all parties. I have been a safety diver for a couple events but I was not submerged while waiting. If you see yourself being under water, what is your backup?
I meant being next to the boat having tools passed down (sorry, I didn't make that clear) and don't really want a spanner dropping on my head. In terms of back up each support pair consists of a more experienced diver and a less experienced one (this being a uni event, many are new to diving). For the deep water recovery teams, the category that I sit in the back up is two other divers, so that a grid sweep method can be used, as well as increasing saftey. We are all using sidemounts or twinsets for deep dives. We have to be in the water most of the time as the submersible requires man handling to the start line (in QuinetiQs deep tank thingy) at a depth of fifteen metres, and be around (but far enough not to risk injury from the sub) during our teams race, so that we can be a first line of recovery and rescue. Recovery of parts only takes place once the sub is out of the water. In the end, I will end up making one as RAID get a bit funny with some of the wrecks near me and helmets (they prefer them worn). I was just wandering if I should make it before the event and use it then or to finish off the course.

The most important safety factor Ive thought of so far is to use my larger XDeep Zeos (nearly twice the buoyancy I need when full) so that I can relatively safely carry heavier objects and if needs be the pilot. What are peoples ideas to this (I ran it past a few instructors who said it was probably a good idea, but though it might be interesting to see the communitys thoughts on this)?

Always attach the required buoyancy on the heavy tool itself, never on yourself.
Pretty obvious why I guess but just in case. No its not a good idea.

Lifting heavy stuff around on the bottom is OK just dont let them use yourself as the bouy.

Always attach the required buoyancy on the heavy tool itself, never on yourself.
Pretty obvious why I guess but just in case. No its not a good idea.

Lifting heavy stuff around on the bottom is OK just dont let them use yourself as the bouy.
I was more meaning supporting the pilot in rescue scenarios (I dont think I can just hook em up to a lift bag. For anything heavy we have lift bags. I should of specified this in the first post. I should have specified much further, my bad

I meant being next to the boat having tools passed down (sorry, I didn't make that clear) and don't really want a spanner dropping on my head....

Seems reasonable. A regular builders hard hat is the obvious. If you want to do some sump diving and attach a torch to it (the UK SL4 is the one to look at) you can just drill holes in the plastic. Have a look at this one JSP EVO2 Mid Peak Slip-Ratchet Vented Safety Helmet White (the torch batteries will cost more than that). "Proper" watersports ones are expensive.

Helmets with sidemount in caves are mandatory, as far as I'm concerned. Your head is the highest part of your body, in sidemount. Don't ask me how I know that.

Cheap helmets are fine...you re not falling from a speeding motorcycle or at the bottom of a 50 story building with tools above. Think of the helmet as a bit of head protection and a lot of storage sites for lights. Boating stores can supply lots of u-shapped spring clamps for things like boat poles; one of two of those screwed onto the helmet will hold the typical round light. There are nice clips made specificlaly for corded lights to allow you to easily attach the light head to the helmet, or to your hand. Check out sites like DGX Dive Rite QRM Mounting System | Lights - Cameras | Dive Gear Express® and Light Mounting Accessories | Dive Gear Express® are some examples of mounts.

Yes, a light on a helmet can be a problem if you look at your buddy and it blinds them. But a light on a helmet can be terrifi if you need both hands. Just don't look at your buddy.

Do NOT get a bigger BCD so you can lift things! That is asking for an embolism should you drop the heavy thing.

Helmets with sidemount in caves are mandatory, as far as I'm concerned. Your head is the highest part of your body, in sidemount. Don't ask me how I know that.

Cheap helmets are fine...you re not falling from a speeding motorcycle or at the bottom of a 50 story building with tools above. Think of the helmet as a bit of head protection and a lot of storage sites for lights. Boating stores can supply lots of u-shapped spring clamps for things like boat poles; one of two of those screwed onto the helmet will hold the typical round light. There are nice clips made specificlaly for corded lights to allow you to easily attach the light head to the helmet, or to your hand. Check out sites like DGX Dive Rite QRM Mounting System | Lights - Cameras | Dive Gear Express® and Light Mounting Accessories | Dive Gear Express® are some examples of mounts.

Yes, a light on a helmet can be a problem if you look at your buddy and it blinds them. But a light on a helmet can be terrifi if you need both hands. Just don't look at your buddy.

Do NOT get a bigger BCD so you can lift things! That is asking for an embolism should you drop the heavy thing.
Thanks,this was really helpful!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom