Friendly PSA, if considering scuba max items, refrain!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TT_Vert

Contributor
Reaction score
I had purchased a pair of shears from them which had excessive oxidization the first week I used them. I rinsed them daily and after 4 days this is how they looked. This was still while I was on my liveaboard. I deemed this unacceptable so i contacted Scubamax. They advised they could do nothing and I had to go through the reseller I purchased from to get an RMA. II contacted the reseller (Who never responded until i got amazon involved and they emailed him) Their reseller (Scott at myscubashop) on amazon basically replied once and said he'd rather have rusted shears that cut then clean shears that didn't. Mind you these didn't cut very well either, the blades would separate and twist the item it was attempting to cut rather than cut. Pretty poor quality but i digress. I sent emails for weeks and eventually started to cc in Jeanette and scubamax, they all disappeared and there was no follow up. I just assume they think I would go away. I spoke w/ amazon and they would do nothing so I'm forced to continue to deal w/ these two non responsive people. I'll continue to hound them but I figured my fellow divers should know my experience and consider this while purchasing items from scubamax.

Even the spring was corroded and I fear that it would eventually break due to the corrosion. I did end up cleaning them in vinegar when I got them back and it had actually pitted parts of the stainless and it didn't remove all of the rust. I'd never trust these things on a dive again even if I got new ones. I just feel I am owed a new set of shears even if I just use them in my garage.

Attachments

• 2017-11-16 09.10.41.jpg
    2017-11-16 09.10.41.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 262
  • 2017-11-16 09.10.53.jpg
    2017-11-16 09.10.53.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 257
  • 2017-11-16 09.11.07.jpg
    2017-11-16 09.11.07.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 266
The Max in ScubaMax does not stand for maximum quality.

Sadly I made a mistake in purchasing. I am shocked at the lack of support. Scubamax won't do anything for me w/o an RMA from the reseller. They know their reseller is not responding but don't seem to care. Is this a known issue w/ this company? Do they just sell junk?

Dave

Take it up with your credit card. Mine covers me for crap like this.

It's been too long sadly. I bought them 11 months ago but didn't use them until last month on a liveaboard (We don't all dive every week :) ). So I contacted scubamax directly while under warranty just asking for warranty replacement. THey said the reseller has to request it (What a joke!) And of course the reseller has strung me along and now brought me out of warranty and out of the CC dispute window. Well played guys!

Sounds like a seller issue mostly, although the no name gear is a bit of a dice roll sometimes with quality. Ask Amazon to step in, they should sort you out by either getting you a replacement or refund.

dgx, dris, lp, any of the larger places usually are a lot more helpful when something slips through qc like this. Amazon third party is practically like eBay.

It is both sadly. After the manuf. told me to go to seller and I didn't get any reply I started to cc in the manuf. when i sent emails to the reseller. I also forwarded them all the other emails I sent. So they are well aware their reseller is not responding at which point they should take the reigns and make this right but have also disappeared.

Have you verified the seller was a Scuba max authorized retailer?

Your experience illustrates why it's important to not wait 11 months to make sure purchased gear works as advertised. I don't see any issue with Scubamax response. As to their quality, they are known for cheap gear, not for high quality gear.

Why did you not leave a review on Amazon? I see only two reviews - neither from you. $40 scissors - I would be yelling loudly.

I left a review under my company name (CFB) as my amazon account is my business account. Even the pictures I included are the ones I put on here, not very observant..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom