Gas Booster Drive Gas Volume

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me too, but I've spent almost 15 minutes searching for.... SQUIRREL!!!!

or did you just swing by to tell us all how inadequate we all are? :wink:

Haskel have been selling these sport boosters for what ......over 10 years now,
Just how long do you think you should be in the dark about how they perform?
At what point are you going to ask yourself.........It's about time you knew

There is another question begging for an answer, in that Haskel state it can be used down to 100 psi oxygen inlet pressure.
So how long will that take to fill a 2ltr exactly from that ?

And You guessed it..........Just how much drive air will it take to achieve that fill.

Just swinging by I guess LOL Iain 1

Haskel have been selling these sport boosters for what ......over 10 years now,
Just how long do you think you should be in the dark about how they perform?
At what point are you going to ask yourself.........It's about time you knew

There is another question begging for an answer, in that Haskel state it can be used down to 100 psi oxygen inlet pressure.
So how long will that take to fill a 2ltr exactly from that ?

And You guessed it..........Just how much drive air will it take to achieve that fill.

Just swinging by I guess LOL Iain 1
I don't know. The OP didn't know. It appears that you don't know either.

On the other hand, I have an idea, and expressed it. Others did too. If you happen to have a handy drive air chart, we'd all love to see it, as I've actually looked for it and couldn't find it, but I didn't spend the time to send an e-mail to Haskel and ask for the specific chart for that specific machine. Part of the problem is that some folks call it a mini-sport, and some folks put their own part number on it, but I have also been unsuccessful at coming up with Haskel's own model number for the machine. So it's hard to ask for the specifications for a machine that I don't know what to call.

I happen to be having the same problem specifying an Eaton/Aeroquip hydraulic hose crimping machine, but that's beyond the scope of the conversation.

I can't imagine.

Imagination is all they are giving, I think the American term is smoke and mirrors.
So from a engineering sharp pointed stick perspective

Notice first the air drive requirement for that International Hydraulics unit is in SCFM
This is a great reference point based on a "standard condition" of the atmosphere being 14.7 psia at 68F and with 36% humidity

Now take you in Florida at sea level at 82F and 89% humidity (taken from Holiday Weather today) that original 9 SCFM rate increases to 9.67 SCFM Then add the kicker in that all American low pressure air compressors quote flow rate at displacement (not delivery)
What you need is CFM at FAD Free air delivered typically calculated at a third less than CFM (displacement)

So the 9 cfm stated Low pressure drive air from a LP compressor actually needs to be a 12.86 cfm minimum to meet the required flow.

I happen to be having the same problem specifying an Eaton/Aeroquip hydraulic hose crimping machine, but that's beyond the scope of the conversation.

Cant see why its beyond the scope of this conversation.

At least it gives us something to do while we wait for the "big" question being finally answered about the Sports Booster after 10 years waiting. Maybe we can make it before Christmas what you think.

In the mean time while we wait

Ignore the Haskel in the background photo, but have you considered the Eaton Synflex hand swaging tool and dies.
Great for hose assembly on the fly, small volume and no power needed.
The two dies do 3/16 and 1/4 bore and the 4 pushers in the photo do 1/4NPT, 1/4 JIC No 4 and Jic 03 and for us lot the 1/4 BSP fitting.
You just need to match the hose bore with the hose OD of the tubing to match the correct die and pusher.

IMG_4770_zpsfrzc2o5m.jpg
[/URL]

Cant see why its beyond the scope of this conversation.

At least it gives us something to do while we wait for the "big" question being finally answered about the Sports Booster after 10 years waiting. Maybe we can make it before Christmas what you think.

In the mean time while we wait

Ignore the Haskel in the background photo, but have you considered the Eaton Synflex hand swaging tool and dies.
Great for hose assembly on the fly, small volume and no power needed.
The two dies do 3/16 and 1/4 bore and the 4 pushers in the photo do 1/4NPT, 1/4 JIC No 4 and Jic 03 and for us lot the 1/4 BSP fitting.
You just need to match the hose bore with the hose OD of the tubing to match the correct die and pusher.

View attachment 437770[/URL]
A loverly setup. I make mostly fuel hoses for engines in #6 and hydraulic for the cranes in up to #32. We buy everything larger than #20, because a machine to make #32 hose is just silly if you're making 10 every 5 years. I use #8 synflex if I'm drilling using hydraulic tools underwater, but not so much for air or fuel.

I'd love a hand setup, but even for a #4 2 wire hose, I think it would be a hard row to hoe.

A loverly setup. I make mostly fuel hoses for engines in #6 and hydraulic for the cranes in up to #32. We buy everything larger than #20, because a machine to make #32 hose is just silly if you're making 10 every 5 years. I use #8 synflex if I'm drilling using hydraulic tools underwater, but not so much for air or fuel.

I'd love a hand setup, but even for a #4 2 wire hose, I think it would be a hard row to hoe.

We are proverbial gorilla's on tools here but #32 would be a tad too much.
One thing to consider on the underwater tools side are the reusable LENZ fittings for you SAE 100R2 Hose.
They were banned offshore for diving (breathing gas umbilicals etc) but for hydraulic lines they make pretty nice end fitting.
SAA 100R2 Skive reusable filed attachable hose ends.

We use them on the Stanley Underwater tool umbilicals and hydraulic power packs.
Further they are easy to identify, and different to the pallet swage end fittings. The idea being not to mix hydraulic lines up with a gas lines.
You know Elf and Safety.

SAE 100R2A SKIVE REUSABLE FIELD ATTACHABLE HOSE ENDS

I’ve been in the ocean for the past few days, and it’s interesting to see what’s transpired on this thread in my absence.

Thank you for the HI dope sheet Wookie. Glad to see that you and iain/hsm are playing so nicely together after what appeared to be a rather snarky initial exchange. Your common engineering backgrounds led to that intriguing detour regarding the Eaton Synflex hand swaging tool and dies, though I do not know why you suggest that we ignore the Haskel in the background of the photograph that you posted iain/hsm. Its’ presence suggests that you know more about my initial query than you seem willing to share. Of course I could be entirely wrong about this. It’s been known to happen, with alarming frequency. Honestly though, thank you for your insight regarding variables such as atmospheric conditions, and that a precise answer to my query is not as easy to determine as I might presume. At this point though, I’d be happy for any estimations, guesses, charts, tables, or palm readings.

I discussed the booster with my son, a bio-medical engineer, and while he considers the Haskel in question to be a rather rudimentary machine, he has no practical experience with it, and thus was of little help. It is of course a pleasure to speak with him whenever he’s got the time, and should any of you have any trouble with your dialysis machine, MRI unit, or have your heart-lung machine fall out of your medicine cabinet and need adjustment, he’s the guy to call.

Back
Top Bottom