Blackbeards packout list - suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm starting to think a backpack may be a little small for all the stuff recommended to bring. Does that sound right? If so, maybe a small gym-style bag instead?

WRT the snorkel, while the main purpose of the trip is diving, videos like this with 5 or 6 snorkeling options make me think that I'll likely want to have it available for some in-water time without a tank on my back during the trip (assuming they're still doing such things, which I imagine they are since it's not a 4-5 dive/day LOB).

BTW, I like my snorkel, it isn't a burden to carry and I consider it part of my safety equipment! When the mooring line broke once during a dive in the Caymans, I was glad that I had it with me!

And speaking of snorkels and Blackbeards, it is illegal to take lobsters when wearing scuba in the Bahamas. When we were on Blackbeards years ago, the captain and another crew member took their masks, fins, and snorkels and went out to harvest some lobsters. Then they traded two bottles of rum for more lobsters from some local fisherman in the area - and we had quite a feast on board that night - so a snorkel can be a very handy tool!
If a snorkel is a piece of mind and part of your safety routine, have at it. For me I'm all about streamlining and a snorkel that's hitting my mask and creates drag is the main reason I will never use a snorkel ever if there's a tank on my back. No rollup snorkels either, another piece of equipment I do not want to carry.

I'm starting to think a backpack may be a little small for all the stuff recommended to bring. Does that sound right? If so, maybe a small gym-style bag instead?

WRT the snorkel, while the main purpose of the trip is diving, videos like this with 5 or 6 snorkeling options make me think that I'll likely want to have it available for some in-water time without a tank on my back during the trip (assuming they're still doing such things, which I imagine they are since it's not a 4-5 dive/day LOB).
I'm assuming you are checking a bag, right? And yes, a small-med style soft-sided gym duffle would be your best bet.

Most of the time your surface intervals on BB will be spent moving to a different dive site so I'm not sure how much snorkeling you'll be able to do. Snorkels don't take up that much room in your luggage so feel free to bring it if you want. I think everyone knows how I feel about snorkels at this point. :wink:

I'm assuming you are checking a bag, right? And yes, a small-med style soft-sided gym duffle would be your best bet.

Most of the time your surface intervals on BB will be spent moving to a different dive site so I'm not sure how much snorkeling you'll be able to do. Snorkels don't take up that much room in your luggage so feel free to bring it if you want. I think everyone knows how I feel about snorkels at this point. :wink:

Yeah, I'm checking my large bag that will have my bulky stuff in it. I plan on putting all my "land only" stuff in that bag and leaving it with the shop and taking my stuff for the bunk/underway in a separate, smaller bag (originally thinking backpack but now duffle probably).

Here's another tip-to make the packing and unpacking that much easier and compression, I use vac seal bags for clothes and pretty much everything else. This way when you board the boat, all of your stuff comes out of the bag at once. The problem with BB boarding procedures is that if you forget something after you leave the dock, you're SOL since they keep all luggage at the marina.

Yes, a duffel or gym bag would be a good option, not just a backpack. I seem to remember that we also had a net hung on the wall by our bunk that you could use to hold small items and things that you'd want to get at quickly; but someone that has been on the boat more recently could confirm that. I may be thinking of another LOB.

I was never lucky enough to encounter a whale shark, but one time on a Bahamas liveaboard in the Exumas (not Blackbeards) we were lucky to encounter a pod of wild dolphins, so we all grabbed our mask, fins, and snorkels, and had a great time swimming with the dolphins - it's a great memory!

Put the pill case in a ziplock freezer bag, the expensive thicker sturdy kind. Same for the gopro and your phone, unless you have real waterproof pouches for them. Water finds stuff on a boat, ziplock bags are compact cheap insurance.

Don't need "sleeping underwear" if you are wearing "sleeping shorts". Anything else, you have one clean item to wear, one other that's hanging up to dry, you rinse 'em out every night and alternate. And one better item, possibly your longsleeve shirt, for traveling and the shore dinner.

No wallet, or a "sil" nylon travel wallet, or a rubber band or ziplock bag. Driver's license, two credit cards, cash, so in that. You won't need your wallet on the boat, and don't need to carry much else that might be stolen.

Toothpaste? Hopefully that's just a mini travel tube. One disposable razor, thrown out before the flight back. Got a MedicAlert or other dog tag? I'm blunt, I just call it a body tag, if I get lost, not just hurt, it helps ID my body.

I also carry a small two port power strip with 4 USB ports to minimize the number of chargers or outlets I am taking up.

I also keep my cell phone (unless I am using it) wallet, passport, copy of insurance/itinerary and dry change of clogthes in a drybag just in case I need it I can grab one thing in an emergency.

Luggage scale. You will be packing wet gear. You will need to shift some checked items to carry on to get home. It was amazing how everyone was overweight as we were packing to head home. Water has weight. Overweight baggage fee is $100 for the airlines.

A double wall water bottle with a caribener was my choice for water. Use the plastic cut for the beer and rum punch.

The rest of the comments all sound right. Less shirts. You will buy one while there which will be a good clean one to get home in.

They will store bags that are not going on the boat. So travel clothes and shoes and other stuff not needed on the boat are easy to store. You won't see it in a week. But not tripping over it on the boat. Headphones and dry shoes. The clothes I traveled to and will wear on the way home are stored.

I slept in one bathing suit while the other was drying. Had one set of "dry" clothes that I didn't use on the boat. 3 bathing suits would have been better. 2 shirts wasn't enough, 3 would have been fine.

I saved room for a bottle of rum to bring back as well. There is a liquor store across the street (700?) that is cheaper than the duty free at the airport.

Snorkle, bring it. Those that swam to shore thought that was fun way of doing it.

Your #5, delete. You are already planning on a light jacket. That will do the same thing.
#11, I brought one. Good choice for shore excursions. Although I still did most of my pictures on my cell phone.
#14, I brought some. Didn't use any. Left them all on the boat. If you get some, go up one size. You want a stout clip to help the sail of a towel if the wind picks up.
#19 can be left in the shore bag. All I had on the boat were wetsuit booties and flip flops. Unless you are one of those people who sleeps in socks they are not needed on the boat.

For reference, I have done an early October trip. Winter I would expect to change a little.

Good list jlcnuke. Maybe a small dry bag for storage in the in deck bin. In December it may get pretty cool especially diving 4 times a day. You definitely will get snorkeling opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom