Dive 3.0 Computers for aging eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Shearwater Perdix. I bought it for the screen size. I can see everything clearly. No problem there. The problem is that I cannot read my SPG.

The reading prescription of my progressives is 2.5 but I can see anything 15+ inches away clearly without help. I am using an Oceanic Proplus 2.1 and I have no complaints. I can see all displays fine and best of all the tank pressure is in the largest font.

I tried an XS Scuba mask with the built in readers before getting the PP. With that mask I had to find just the right place to read my spg clearly, and I didn't have confidence in that solution. As others mentioned if the readers fog or get droplets you are out of luck.

I have a Shearwater Perdix AI. I'm 57 and have bifocals (well, progressives) but the Perdix is large and bright so I have no problem reading it. It's a bonus that I can see the tank pressure, too (though I also have a SPG for backup, since I do some tec diving). For a while I used 2.0 diopter stick-ons, but not really needed now that I have the Perdix.

I have a Shearwater Perdix AI. I'm 57 and have bifocals (well, progressives) but the Perdix is large and bright so I have no problem reading it. It's a bonus that I can see the tank pressure, too (though I also have a SPG for backup, since I do some tec diving). For a while I used 2.0 diopter stick-ons, but not really needed now that I have the Perdix.

Stop it! I've been trying to resist buying the AI version! :facepalm:

I need 2.0 readers.
The plastic dive optics constantly fog up in both cold (47f) and warm water (84f). It doesn't matter how clean you get them. Using a mask scrub just scratches them up.
Based on a recommendation from my LDS I am switching to Trident Aqua Optics glass reader add-ins glued in with dishwasher safe super glue.
I'll post the results after my first dive with them.
G
I can happily report. This works! Wonderfully!
I used Loctite dishwasher safe glass glue to glue down the lenses. The residue cleans up using acetone, but be careful not to go overboard on that. Acetone in too heavy of a dose will destroy the silicon on the mask. I just used a damp cotton pad to clean up and it worked great. I applied the same pattern suggested on the package and then used masking tape doubled over onto the dry side to place the lenses on the mask.
If you completely blow it, run the mask under hot water for a minute or two, and then pour water close to boiling on the reader lenses. They'll pry loose and you can clean off the glue and try again. (how do I know this?)
I just used my normal baby shampoo mask spray mix. Absolutely no fogging on the reader or the rest of the mask. I can see my gauges and objects like small Octo's just a few feet away crystal clear. No fogging!
Thanks to Dave of UW Sports Federal Way for the tip.

... but there is a point when reading lenses at the bottom of the mask become necessary. And yet, those lenses reduce the field of view while diving, making them very annoying. ...

Never found any form of DIY reading lens in the bottom of the mask to be useful. I got prescription lenses including differing astigmatism in each eye put in a new mask (one I love and sent to them). Wraparound - Aqua Lung US - Recreational and Professional Scuba Diving Gear

The lenses just about completely fill the mask and I have complete totally wide view, perfectly sharp. I had them put my reading prescription in a very small spot in the left lens at the bottom but haven't found it necessary (I have a Mares Icon - very readable. Especially when set to night mode.

Who are them? HOME

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom