Recommended Dive Magazines ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately for most magazines that I have read it seems like the same articles are on a cyclical routine with little or no new information.

Alert Diver and sometimes, California Diving News. I've always been a Dale Sheckler fan, and own his California beach diving book.

Alert Diver improved a lot a few years ago when Stephen Frink took over as editor.

DIVER has a lot (all?) of their content online now unless you want a print copy.

Harris Links lists about all of them.

Alert Diver - Alert Diver Online
Apnea - Freediving - Spearfishing - Apnea Magazine
California Diving News - Home - California Diving News
Cayman Diving News - The Cayman Islands: Organizing your way there with cayman . org!
Darryl's Diving Services - Scuba in Ontario, Darryls Diving Services On-Line Magazine, Scuba In Ontario.
Dive News - REN DiveNews.Com ~ News @ Depth
Dive Training - Scuba Diving News + Gear + Resources // Dive Training Magazine
DiveIn - DIVE.in - Scuba Diving & Snorkeling - Free Magazine for divers!
DiverNet - Divernet - Diver Magazine Online | SCUBA | Diving | Dive Shows | Gear Tests | Travel | News
DiveTexas - Dive Texas - Scuba, Snorkeling
Marine Mammal News - Marine mammal news
Midwest Scuba Diving - Home
Ocean News & Technology - Ocean News & Technology Magazine
PS Diver - PSDiver.com
Revista Buceo (Spanish) - Buceando entre vídeos y noticias @ Buceos.es
Scuba - Water Adventure - Scuba & H2O Adventure Magazine
Scuba Diving (Rodale) - Scuba Diving Magazine
Scuba Globe - Scuba Globa -
Sea Technology - Sea Technology Magazine
Shark Diver - Shark Diver magazine - SDM adventures, shark dive trips with Eli Martinez
Skin Diver Online - Scuba Diving Equipment, Scuba Gear for Caribbean Travel Skin Diver Online Magazine
SORTIE - S.O.R.T.I.E. - Special Operations Rescue Tactical Interdiction Expeditions
South Florida Diving Journal - Diving Palm Beach | Diving West Palm Beach | Palm Beach County
Spearing - Welcome to Spearing Magazine
SplashDive - http://www.splashdive.com/
Sport Diver (PADI) - Sport Diver Homepage
Undercurrent - http://www.undercurrent.org/
Underwater Photography - UwP = Your free Underwater Photography Magazine | Home page
Underwater Times - http://www.underwatertimes.com/
UnderWater - http://www.underwatermagazine.com/
Underwater3Some - Underwater360 | Divers' Daily Digest
That is a handy list!

Unfortunately for most magazines that I have read it seems like the same articles are on a cyclical routine with little or no new information.

Agree! I dropped subscriptions for different hobbies through the years for the same reason.

Now that padi cut ties with sport diver I can only assume either it or the publishers sister “scuba diver” will fold. They tend to have remarkably similar articles anyway.

@diversteve
Bravo!
Great listing of current dive publications- You (or some one) put a heck of a lot of work into compiling the list and it certainly appreciated.-

It is interesting that just 66 years ago, December 1951 the late Jim Auxier, who was employed as a printer by Compton printing and the late Chuck Blakeslee was a Lab technician set down in Chuck's kitchen and maliciously hand assembled 2500 copies of a magazine which was called "Skin Diver magazine; a magazine for skin divers and spearfishermen." It was the world's first magazine devoted to the then infant sport of skin diving (recreational SCUBA diving) and the then very popular spearfishing

They had no previous experience of knowledge of magazine production and the only distribution available was to hand deliver copies to local SoCal dive clubs . From that humble beginnings they created an industry of dive magazine production. They led the way for others to emulate

They were the true pioneers of the sport that in reality had no name, very few books had been written, no formal instruction, extremely crude very basic equipment .......

Less than a handful of the December 1951 Vol1 Nr 1 editions of Skin Diver exist today and are highly prized diving bibliophile trophies Even more rare are complete sets of Skin Diver from 1951 to its demise over 50 years later
which is the only periodical document of diving history.

Sam Miller, 111

GUE's Quest is my favorite. No advertising except for a handful of small GUE instructor/dive center ads, and the articles focus on training, ecology, fitness and various exploration / research projects around the world.

The full Feb 2013 issue is here as a free sample:

Quest Free Sample Issue | Global Underwater Explorers

-B

Does Alert Diver come in printed edition too? I must have missed that part of membership. :-/

I just got in the mail news that sport diver is merging into scuba diving magazine. Not surprised as they are owned by the same company.

Back
Top Bottom