Disappointed in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the comment above that as far as the San Pedro Area is concerned that the area is more of destination with diving than a diving destination. The area has a nice topside life and is a short boat ride to the mainland for archaeological excursions. The diving is also very convenient since the reef is so close to shore. It's also very convenient for those living in the US. The trip to the Blue Hole is worth it, not so much for the Blue Hole itself, but the two additional dives along with lunch at the nature park with the bird sanctuary.

I started going to San Pedro in 1999. I was going a minimum of twice a year for quite a while and sometimes as much as four times a year. In the way back days it was pretty good! Tons of fish and a healthy Reef. That said, the reef was never really colorful. It was always different shades of beige with the occasional Azure Vase and some red green or yellow tunicates. As the years have gone by the reef has suffered from hurricane damage and I've watched its slow recovery only to have it hit again. There used to be parrot fish all over the place along with a plethora of beautiful fairy basslets, etc. Since the lionfish came, the fish life just hasn't been the same and for a while there were no fairy basslets at all. I don't think I've even seen a parrot fish there in the last few years, (not including Half Moon Key).

San Pedro was this funky little place with only two or three beach bars. There were only one or two places that really rocked at night and so it was super fun because everybody was in the same place at the same time, not spread all over town.

As the years have passed and supposed progress came along, things have changed quite a bit.

My heart is still there but when I go now, I spend a lot more time with my friends and diving out at the Atolls rather than diving close in to San Pedro. I sometimes wonder if I didn't have friends there, would I return at all. (Yes)

Even so, don't discount it as a destination. The island really has a lot to offer and still with nice diving wgere you'll be greeted by groupers, nurse sharks and sometimes friendly dolphin a mere 5-10 minutes from the dock too.! Last week divers were coming upon a whale shark!!

Last edited:
For wall to wall fish nothing in my experience beats the area around Key Largo. And with a typical max depth of around 20 feet the entire dive's like a safety stop and your air will last forever.

I see plenty of fish on my dives off Placencia every year, but I'm sure the Lion Fish have had an impact. I haven't been out to Half Moon Caye in years. Hopefully, one of the times I'm diving Placencia Splash will run a boat there. I think they have a six-diver group minimum, and I've just missed it a couple of times. Placencia is also growing fast but still retains that funky island village vibe even though it's not an island. Most of the improvements have been for the better.

. There used to be parrot fish all over the place along with a plethora of beautiful fairy basslets, etc. Since the lionfish came, the fish life just hasn't been the same and for a while there were no fairy basslets at all. I don't think I've even seen a parrot fish there in the last few years, (not including Half Moon

I haven’t been diving as much the last couple years here, having been working in SE Asia, but I see no shortage of parrot fish. I think they’re one species that have adapted to the lion fish invasion. I was just out south of SW Marine Reserve on Sunday and saw lots of parrots. But strangely, very few lionfish. And we search holes while diving. ???

I meant off Ambergris Caye. The parrots seem to be doing OK at the Atolls and south.

Back
Top Bottom