What was your favourite liveaboard ever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
What was your favourite liveaboard trip ever? Anywhere in the world. And why?

Edit: I’m trying to create my bucket list. :thumb:

Last edited:
Nautilus Swell. Beautiful old boat and British Columbia diving. Life doesn't get any better.
Nautilus-Swell-web-8_zps0e906732.jpg

Damai 1 - 10 days in Raja Ampat. Only 9 divers on the boat extremely flexible crew and second trip to RA so was not as overwhelmed by it all.

Damai 1 - 10 days in Raja Ampat. Only 9 divers on the boat extremely flexible crew and second trip to RA so was not as overwhelmed by it all.

Agree! I was on it for a repositioning cruise from Cenderawasi Bay to Sorong so we had 2 days of whale sharks and then went through the Dampier Strait to Raja Ampat. Great crew, great boat! I've been on 15 liveaboards and fortunately most have been very good but Damai 1 stands out.

Mike Ball's Spoilsport - Minke Whale Expedition. Just mind blowing to be eyeball to eyeball with a Minke (and to do so with a great boat & crew). It was not just the whales, but fantastic reef diving as well

some from my bucket list...haven't done any of them.

Nautilus Belle Amie to the Socorro Islands
One of the Maldives boats - Four Seasons Explorer or Explorer Ventures Carpe Vita or Carpe Nova - different companies.
Arenui
Atlantis Azores - Phillippines
Argo in Cocos because it's the mothership for the DeepSee deep diving submersible afaik.

Did the Turks/Caicos Explorer several years ago - nice deep wall diving with lots of sharks.

Last edited:
Favorite Boat - Aquacat. So much space.
Favorite Food - Kona Aggressor. Great chef, Cordon Blue IIRC (pretty long ago, so no idea currently.) And I think it helped that they could easily get anything they want there, vs. a remote outpost where supplies are more challenging.
Favorite Diving - tie - Manthiri (Maldives, mostly Ari & Felidhoo atolls) or Atlantis Azores (Tubbataha Philippines) Tubbataha was lots of mantas, huge schools of fish, so many sharks they became boring, and some good smaller stuff too. But in a way the diving became repetitive. I'd give the edge to the Manthiri for great stuff and variety, if the currents weren't such a PITA.
Favorite Overall - maybe Tubbataha on Azores, but that was probably biased some by being in the owner's suite. But really too hard to pick. Hoping our upcoming Raja Ampat trip on the Arenui will make it easier...

Nautilus Swell. Beautiful old boat and British Columbia diving. Life doesn't get any better.
View attachment 435291
I had plans and desires to dive on the Nautilus Swell- Alas-- it was too late-- My plan now is to redeem my lost opportunity and dive the Nautilus Belle Amie in the Socorros.

I wish Nautilus Swell was still in business. That boat is gone and one of the resorts (I believe Gods pocket?) is also shutting down. Makes me wonder what the future of Browning Pass diving is. Must have been one amazing trip for those who were lucky enough to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom