Dive map of Europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well done (and thanks for your post on the other forum to my thread).

Re Switzerland - some challenges to depth vs width (the Rhein for example is 6-7m deep on one of the locations, but you've got it down to 20m). Some locaitons missing, but total coverage will be near impossible.

How do you collect the data? For the most common sites in Switzerland, this site is pretty good:
Sichtweiten anzeigen

In September, we were migrating data between new and old software. [...] We have already improved.
You haven't replied to my feedback about the glaring errors for Norwegian dive sites, and about your obvious copy/paste from other websites without attribution.

Any comments? How's your QA doing?

You haven't replied to my feedback about the glaring errors for Norwegian dive sites, and about your obvious copy/paste from other websites without attribution.

Any comments? How's your QA doing?

Hello,

I did not answer because I had a business meeting. I'm doing it now. As for places and mistakes, we will make every effort to improve the issues discussed. I am very happy with your help and evaluation.

When it comes to copying, there is no such thing. It may be that something is written similarly to someone's description. Finally, the same place is described.

Thank you for your feedback.

I took a peek at a couple of areas and sites in Middle Norway that I'm quite familiar with. Long story short: both your map pins and the descriptions are more often than not totally off. I wouldn't recommend anyone to use your webpage to find those sites.

A few examples:
  • SS Nerva isn't located outside Abelvær, she lies in the Nærøy sound north of Rørvik.
  • Neither is SS Ringøy, she lies at Kvitholmen just south of Leka.
  • Sanct Svithun isn't located close to Abelvær either, she lies just south of Nordøyan several nm (about an hour or so at ~20 knots' speed) west of where you've pinned her.
  • You've pinned one "Blaafjeld" and one "SS Blaafjeld". While the latter is pinned fairly close to where she actually lies, the former doesn't exist.
  • While the description of Bærum isn't too far off the mark, the location pin puts it around half an hour's boat ride SW of where she (probably) lies, at around 200m depth. And there's more than reasonable doubt that the wreck usually believed to be Bærum in fact is something else. Problem is, she's so broken down that it's impossible to say.
  • While the map pin for Perlen is roughly at the right place, the Trondheim fjord is definitely not "deep in the west coast".
  • Ingdalen is most definitely not an "advanced/technical" site. With a decent briefing, even an OW diver can do it, and to dive the wall all you need is decent buoyancy control.
  • Hamborra isn't an "advanced/technical" site either. Dive in the right direction, and even a freshly minted OW diver can dive safely there, over a nicely sloping sand/gravel bottom.

I could go on, but since I've already commented on some 75% of the sites I checked on, I don't think I'll bother continuing. So from where have you (mis)copied that info (without attribution)? To me, it looks as if you've inexpertly copied info from site descriptions written by others. I think I recognize quite a few phrases...

Sorry for the mistakes. We will try to eliminate them as soon as possible. As for the rest of the issue I described in another thread.

Last edited:
@VikNow (aka Lucas)

Bravo !
You have began a program that not one of your detractors could have possibly accomplished.

I was an officer in the Korean War...Our Squadron motto was in Latin, but since my Latin is worse than my Polish I will translate into English ~~~ Don't let the bastards grind you down"

What you have begun is a monumental task which will require cooperation and input from all the divers in Europe.
You have received some input but very little cooperation, but a beginning, build from their input.

I suspect it will be a long term monumental thankless effort,. but when completed will be invaluable not only to the divers of Europe but to the entire world of diving.

Cheers from California USA - where it all began

Sam Miller, III

"

Thank you for your kind words and understanding. We need a lot of useless people who will not be enemies for us, and will show understanding :)

Well done (and thanks for your post on the other forum to my thread).

Re Switzerland - some challenges to depth vs width (the Rhein for example is 6-7m deep on one of the locations, but you've got it down to 20m). Some locaitons missing, but total coverage will be near impossible.

How do you collect the data? For the most common sites in Switzerland, this site is pretty good:
Sichtweiten anzeigen

As far as the base is concerned, these are our diving experiences or the information from internet wchich we rewieved. It is a big undertaking, which we realize in stages. We are currently in the process of checking with your experience and knowledge. We want this product to be perfect :)

I have three neighbors who are "Attorneys" which they prefer over the term Lawyer
(one attorney next door and two across the street)

I suspect they all agree "Non illigitemi carborundum." as I did 65 years ago
sdm

Last edited:
@VikNow
Excellent job, if I will check the diving spots I know and give you a feedback

I suspect it is not real Latin but some kind of joke...
Illegitimi non carborundum - Wikipedia
Anyway the are many such latin mottos, one of them being the one of the X Mas Italian seals: "Memento audere semper" "Remember to dare always"

Very nice work
@Storker
It is very good that you give a feedback on the places you know well. Norway is a wonderful spot for diving, I know that, and I believe that other Europeans perhaps underevaluate your country for diving. As far as I noticed, only Scandinavian people know well the diving spots in Norway and Sweden, and it's not easy to find reliable info, I know since I am interested myself

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom