Bunaken, Manado, Lembeh, Bangka help pls?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to chime in here as I went to NAD late last month for a few days after a Raja Ampat LOB. It’s a great resort with spacious boats and an awesome 2 divers to 1 guide ratio. Food is good and the resort is very photographer friendly with an excellent camera room and individual stations, many outlets. Rooms and bathrooms are modern, spacious, with AC and with many outlets as well. They are very organized and everyone is friendly. Everything at the resort is close to each other and you are right on the water. They don’t have a huge max capacity and It feels really personal because of this. It feels more like someone’s gigantic, over the top private home in Indonesia rather than a resort which I loved.

I’d return for sure. I think with 8-10 days you’re better off putting most if not all of that time to Lembeh. I’ve heard good things about Bunaken but after Komodo and Raja Ampat which I have both dived, Lembeh will be a good mix to all the wide angle, pelagic reef life.

Thanks @Indah, you're one of my possibles

@AlMitch yeah i'm leanig towards either all on Lembeh or Lem&Bangka. Altho my budget is tight, time is on my side as i don't have to rush off anywhere so I can do most on Lembeh then chill out for a few days on Bangka doing snorkeling and a couple of dives. Either way, I'm sure Lem will be mind blowing!

@Wingy Thanks for all that helpful info mate, If i'm close to somewhere great then i'd rather chance it than not and bump into someone who just had a great time there and regret not going, sod's law and all, so I'm going to look into Bangka. Who have you dived on Bangka?

@outofofficebrb thanks, I keep hearing all the same good stuff about NAD so defo one I'm going email, sounds like a well run resort with people who really look after you, cheers!

@outofofficebrb thanks, I keep hearing all the same good stuff about NAD so defo one I'm going email, sounds like a well run resort with people who really look after you, cheers!

Sonja is the manager there and she's great! Let us know what you end up going with on the LOB and after-LOB front.

@outofofficebrb Right, I've decided due to cost saving to stick with Lembeh but with the option of a sneaky day trip to Bangka and so I've sent a few places an email for quotes...and i will post a trip review on my adventures simply to make everyone jealous & hate me....it's the Diver's Code!

@Wingy Thanks for all your helpful suggestions mate, I'll prob just do a day trip to keep costs down

@AlMitch I looked into it but they didn't have dates that fit in with mine, but thanks anyway!

Thanks everyone for your help, once i decide I'll let you know who i went with...and post a report ofc

@outpost31 that sounds like a fantastic trip, I'm very jealous already! I hope you don’t mind if I use your thread instead of starting a new one as my questions are related.

Hi all, we’re looking into next year’s family trip in late July/August (with 2 & 5 year olds) and have narrowed down on North Sulawesi. We’ll probably have 10-12 nights.

I’d really like to include Bangka Island for a few days; can anyone suggest any resort(s) that might be more child friendly in terms of facilities and beach/swimming/snorkelling? Our budget is £50-100 p/night (US$65-130) for bed & breakfast (A/C preferred but not essential). I realise many resorts offer full board packages that include diving so obviously that needs to be accounted for.

I’m also torn between including some time in Lembeh or on the mainland near Manado. I’d like to visit Lembeh for obvious reasons. We’re not particularly seasoned divers so ‘muck diving’ would be basically new for us but from what I understand Lembeh is THE place to get involved. But I’m thinking Manado may be more convenient, especially with the kids, and Bunaken National Park is fairly close for the diving (I’m currently pretty much ruling out staying on Bunaken or Siladen). Can anyone give some advice on this please.

The wider picture is that we’ll be flying from London to Bangkok and stopping in Thailand for a week or so to see my wife’s family and friends. The best/cheapest way to get to Manado from Bangkok appears to be via Singapore but an overnight stay in Singapore is needed before getting the direct flight to/from Manado. We’d probably need another overnight stay in Singapore before heading back to the UK from there.

As an alternative for less/shorter flights and less stopovers, we’re also thinking that staying on one of the inhabited islands in the Maldives may be an option, preferably within Ari Atoll. However, having looked into this my heart’s not really in it. Although it would be fantastic to have the opportunity to see some pelagics, it all seems to be very expensive in terms of transport to the islands from Male and the diving itself…I’ve also read the foods very expensive and not that good. The island I’ve looked at so far is Dhigurah island. I've read the house reef ain't up to much, and I’ve seen a resorts website offering banana boats rides! …and whale shark trips that seems to involve a search and then a whole load of boats diverging on one that’s been spotted (pardon the unintentional pun) and hordes of people jumping in with the poor thing while its trying to feed. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve jumped in with a whale shark myself for a quick snorkel but that was a random very lucky sighting during a surface interval, not a ‘hunting party’. Am I being too negative?

If anyone has any views / suggestions regarding the Maldives I’d also be happy to hear (bearing in mind my budget above). <I'm guessing I may need to copy and paste the bit on Maldives to a new thread in another forum too>

Thanks in advance, and apologies again for the hijack!

Last edited:
Black Sand Dive Retreat in Lembeh is amazing, especially with kids. They have there own private pitch black sand beach which is great for the kids to build sand castles. And they now have a pool. Also they always come back to the resort for the surface interval SO you are not away from the kids for too long.
Dive Into Lembeh may also be worth checking out. Many of the resorts spend the morning on the boat doing a double tank trip, so I would check with the resort first about that.
The drive to Lembeh is not that bad.

If you stay in Manado then you will spend the WHOLE day on the boat if you dive Bunaken.

As for Bangka, Murex is the only resort with AC. They do have a private beach. But a tad expensive these days.
Blue Bay is more rustic, search for my old trip report from when we were silly enough to take our 6 month old there. I love the resort (it really is a picture postcard perfect place) BUT would insist that they keep the power on during the night to keep the fans going.

July / Aug it can get quite windy on Bangka. So try go as early in July as possible.

Feel free to PM me!

You could consider making one more flight. From Manado to Morotai and stay in our Magic bay Villa. www.magicbayrao.com

Hi @AlMitch thanks for the info, once again! I now remember you previously mentioned it can get windy that time of year. The last week of July is the earliest we could get there cos of the school holidays. Can the wind be significant enough to stop swimming/snorkelling/diving, or make the boat journeys unpleasant? My seasickness threshold seems to have taken a dip on my last few dives over the summer (but that may have been to do with some ear issues I was having - and they were RIB boats). Is that the same over at Bunaken or is it more protected there?

I'll have a look at Black Sand Dive Retreat. I was doing more research last night and I'm now leaning more towards Bangka & Lembeh, or possibly Bunaken & Lembeh, but I've pretty much ruled out the mainland.

Btw, I remember you said you were considering Gili Air for your family holiday. I've uploaded some dive videos to Vimeo from our Bali and Gili Air trip in May if you're interested. It may give you an idea what to expect. Sods law, I didn't take my camera on probably my fave dive around the Gilis though!
Link to videos: Rob J

@Indah It looks beautiful, but I'm pushing my luck with all the flights and stopovers we'd need to get to and from Manado. I don't even need to ask my wife, she'll say no! I think that may have to wait till the boys are a little older and easier to travel with (not that they're bad travellers now).

Cheers,
Rob

Back
Top Bottom