Bunaken, Manado, Lembeh, Bangka help pls?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outpost31

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys/Girls,

I'm heading to Sulawesi in early March (after doing Komodo LOB, Sipidan & R4 LOB) and I'm after info on how to divide my time here, hopefully those of you who've been here can kindly advise please? My main interests were Bunaken & Lembeh but I wanted to ask what I can fit in my budget and what would be best choices.

I'm interested in both muck & big stuff and looking to spend about 8-10 days diving and extra days for some land adventures. Hopefully, I can find one company that can do all this. I've found a lot of helpful info on dive resorts on this thread: but not all the websites have info on Bunaken

Lembeh in february. Which resort would you recommend and why?

I'm on a tight budget, i don't mind basic accom, good local food, single occupancy, photography minded.
Would love to see Mimic Octopus, Flamboyant Cuttlefish, lots of Nudis, Mandarin, Blue ringed Octo & any big stuff

So, what would be doable in my budget and time frame?
Who would you recommend diving with? I have been looking at NAD, Black Sands & Diver's Lodge.

Thank you for your kind assistance!
Chris

I have dived with Two Fish and they are good and inexpensive. Bunaken has no AC (or at least didn't in 2015). It also takes about an entire day to transfer from Bunaken and Lembeh (again IIRC). Food is awful at Bunaken. But it's cheap. It's been a long time since I've been to Lembeh, so the food may be better now. I don't remember much in the way of big stuff at Bunaken. I know there are flamboyant cuttlefish at Lembeh, but I don't know if they are seasonal.

Cheers, Manneca, I'll look into them. I have time to transfer to Bunaken island. Thanks for the info!

Honestly I have stayed and pretty much all the "budget places" in Lembeh and have never had a bad experience at any of them. With a super competitive market and no shortage of places to skewer crappy providers, one can rest assured if the place has been around for a few years they are probably doing a decent job.

That being said, the next time I head back to Lembeh I will stay at NAD. They get it.

After Komodo, R4, and Sipadan you should be all filled up with big stuff. I'd go go to Lembeh and skip Bunaken. 8-10 days in Lembeh alone isn't to much and will give you plenty of opportunity to check the critters on your list off.
I use 2fish there, but if NAD is in your budget range I'd go with them merely for the food. (It looks good from the good old iternet)

@matts1w Thanks mate, good to know the little guys are good too, I've read good things about NAD.

@Wingy Cheers, I've come across their name as being pretty good

@dirtfarmer Yeah i did a bit more research and got the impression Bunaken has a lot of wall diving and Lembeh was better...then i saw there was a possibility of seeing Dugong's in Bangka...so that might be an option with Lembeh? Does anyone know if they're rare to see or if Bangka would be a good addition in my budget/time frame pls?....oh yes, great local food is always an important factor, even if your dives disappoint you can always look forward to a delicious meal!

Divers Lodge Lembeh: full board accommodation which includes all taxes, all meals, all coffee, tea, drinking water, fruit, snacks, WI-Fi and laundry service, single occupancy in private cottage = IDR 850.000 (today USD 63, -). No deposit required, no cancellation fee, pay for what you did at the end of your stay. Never more than 2 guests per excellent dive-guide.

Skip Bunaken and spend a few days on Bangka instead.

I'd suggest 4 days on Bangka and 6 days in Lembeh.

But then again, since you've just been to RA / Komodo you should have had your fill of stunning reefs....so Dirtfarmers suggestion of just spending all your time in Lembeh may be worth listening to.
Lembeh is incredible!!
If you stay it Indah's place (which I have) you also get to dive the eastern side of Lembeh if you need a break from the muck.

As Dirt said.... regardless where you stay in Lembeh I'm 97% sure you will have an amazing time.

Personally I'm a bit of a Bangka Junkie. It will always be my first choice N Sulawesi.
I like Lembeh for the critters, I enjoy bunaken if you don't just wall - repeat - wall - repeat. There's some nice enough spots in combination with the wall if you add in say Fukui and Siladen Jetty (Great night dive spot) Rons, Bennys etc Point, Tanjung, Mandolin and there's a wreck between Manado Tua and the mainland with a good site I've forgotten the name of. Ironically I've seen a dugong in the mangroves beside Froggies at Bunaken but never seen a dugong at Bangka.
Critters and mixed bag at Bangka seems to be an ideal combo for me, but I've also been the only diver left at Bangka and made a phone call and zipped back to Bunaken. Sure it's a day where you will get only one dive in but things were pretty flexible a few years ago - TBH aim not sure if that's still the case. I also tend to travel in what most consider the off season - not a fan of too many people.

I've had some of the best dives of my life at Bangka - some pretty interesting ones but some that have left me breathless...in a good way :)

Lembeh will always be interesting every dive every day something different to find.

Just for future reference if the Dugong is your spirit animal and you have to find one to complete your bucket list - most reliable place I've found to get a guaranteed sighting in is Vanuatu. There's heaps around - Ambrym island I think (or maybe Malakeula - this is why some people keep log books eh?) has a resident dugong named Jeffrey who is always up for a dive.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom