Training on Different System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking about supplementing this lesson afterwards with Steve martin’s videos. Is that a descent idea? I will definitely asked xdeep if thei have an instructor around La Romana
Some that have read me earlier might be surprised. I've always recommended Steve's videos (since day 1), but I wouldn't do it anymore. The fact he removed the first series and makes you pay an "upgrade" is enough for me to recommend avoiding him...

I did all my cave training with Protec Tulum and Protec Playa del Carmen. I dive the XDeep Stealth Classic. It was the rig they had out on the market when i purchased it and started my training. Extremely happy the the rig and Protec. First class shop and people. If you have the opportunity to go there and get your rig set up and trained you will be glad you did.

Some that have read me earlier might be surprised. I've always recommended Steve's videos (since day 1), but I wouldn't do it anymore. The fact he removed the first series and makes you pay an "upgrade" is enough for me to recommend avoiding him...
Can you expend on that?

Can you expend on that?
Sure. Start with this link

Side Mount Scuba Diving - Steve Martin

Which lead me to send an e-mail, as he doesn't reply on facebook, and got this answer
Steve:
So with all this said, I think the best solution and way forward is I ask you to pay a small (upgrade) amount for these new materials and my additional added content, you will not be disappointed and I can assure you like my last series this will one of the best investments you have ever made in educational materials. If you are worried about the 12 month expiry, I will extend this a further 12 months giving you 2 years of access with free renewal for each person you recommend.

Below you will see your discount coupon and how you can use it, if enough people really still want the access to my old video series I will look to re-upload and host them again on my new online training website in a special section for discontinued courses or something

Discount: 75% OFF

To me that's not how it works.

Some might say I should go and tell him it's not fair etc, but there's enough red flags imo that I don't feel wrong for posting it here instead of arguing with him.

I have no problem with people charging money for their work. We all decry how training has lost its value but we don’t put a value on that training.

If you paid and now need to pay again for the same material that sucks. If it was free and now he charges, I have no issue with that.

You don't know about his videos I guess... Why do you think they were blocked to a "google circle" in the first place? You paid him, he gave your access to those videos. Then the videos were removed by youtube (not his fault), and now we (at least I) get to hear "well pay some more and get the new ones".

Sounds like a scam to me.

Gotcha. I would be mad as well. I was under the impression they were free on YouTube before.

Hi guys, this is Steve Martin from www.sidemounting.com. This article was brought to my attention so happy to explain this more as I hate it when people get the wrong information about what I am offering now and what was offered before.

Firstly the new video series is not "the same" as the one before.. far from it. Simple put… I started again so I could FUTURE PROOF my online video training series. It would need to be more user friendly and be easy to update as time passes and the dive industry develops. My old video series consisted of just 6 videos, 5 being 1 to 1.5 hours long and 6th being 8 hours in duration. The new series has currently 165 videos with close to 22 hours of content and the average video length being just over 7 minutes making each video easier to watch and re-watch as well as index. All course lesson videos are now available through a state-of-the-art online eLearning training system.There is now 22 hours of content as oppose to just over 14 hours before, the new content has voice-over for every single clip including underwater sections, the old 14 hours of video content (approx 6 hours of that, anything underwater was completely silent and just showing people doing skills) etc.

Each second of video has a “high quality audio” voiceover added, designed to maximum your learning experience.Has a more modular design, with smaller more manageable videos lengths, average being just 7 minutes. New updates are added easily to each video series and members immediately notified of new content as it gets released. All workshop videos were shot in 4K and converted to 1080p during editing, this allows for amazing high detailed close-ups. All content was professionally edited using AVID Media Composer which gives smooth transitions, slow-motion effects all greatly improving your learning experience and save on your valuable time when watching. All lessons come completely subtitled in English, these are optional, you just select them in the video player.

All new video content, plus the best clips from the old series. Since the release of my old video series (April 2015), new video content was shot between May 2015 to August 2016 (1.5 years) this includes, students in training and 2 months of additional footage that was shot solely for the purpose of these new online training products.

Here are the highlights of requested improvements by customers using my old training series.

• Underwater clips should have narration or commentary added to them.
• Training videos should be shorter in length, broken into sections and easier to find.
• Like to see more close-up video of equipment configuration and slow motion of skills being done.
• Videos need consistent sound quality, if your video based training was professional edited it would be amazing!!
• Like to see more on diver making ascents and ascent techniques.
• Like to see more on diver trimming and sliding d-rings/cylinder trimming.
• Want more configuration setup and skills for trimix divers and divers carrying/using 5 or 6 cylinders.
• Avoid using black bungee on a black background, make knot tying easier to see.

All these requests have been fully implemented into my new video series plus much, much more!!

My old videos used Google plus circles to protect the material from being stolen, unfortunately YouTube (private video) stopped with the circles and google+, so I made a whole new series, and went with Vimeo instead. and I created a full webpage for it where you can track the progress. The new videos are completely new, a lot more material, and much more professionally made" So for existing customers I gave them a super-discount 75% OFF to get access to what they had before + a lot of new material.

I am happy to explain further if needed, hope to see all my exisiting customers return. You will find feedback from people using the new online training series released 1st January 2017 on my homepage www.sidemounting.com, just scroll down until you see "The reviews are in for my new video series" there are 5 pictures to view.

Regards, Steve

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom