First dive, no dive buddy. ☹️

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhondakaye503

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, I was open water certed in May of 2017. I did the cert with my then boyfriend. He is no longer my boyfriend, not ☹️. My problem is I still want to dive but I don’t have a dive buddy. I’m looking for suggestions on how to make that happen. Was thinking about Belize for my first dive, nothing decided yet but want to start planning soon. Obviously I’m a newbie so I’d like the security of having someone along that has some experience. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Scuba on!

Hi. You'll find divers traveling solo is very common. It's easy to find people to dive with. Dive shops will pair people up. Another option is paying a little extra for a professional buddy. It's nicer being with a fellow diver you know but it's a quite easy to meet people who want to dive with you in the Caribbean context. I've had no issue in Mexico, Belize, Costa Rico, Panama, Nicaragua, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, or Puerto Rico finding someone happy to dive with upon arrival. It's never even been an inconvenience.

Enjoy your diving!

Regards,
Cameron

As Cameron suggested, hire a divemaster to accompany you on your first day in Belize. Almost every dive operation is happy to provide that service. You will relax and enjoy the dive more, as the divemaster will not only (we hope) be a model buddy but will also point out interesting marine life. By your second day, you will probably have met people, perhaps others traveling solo, with whom you could buddy up. It is not uncommon for a group of three to buddy up. It is also not uncommon for a divemaster who is leading a group of several divers to, in addition to that job, serve as a buddy with one of the divers who is otherwise lacking a buddy.

I googled Portland dive clubs and up came many to choose from...hit these up to see which ones feel right to you...

portland oregon dive clubs - Google Search

and remember...better to be alone than in an unhappy relationship...the world is your oyster:)

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion! I had no idea where to start with this and you guys have been so helpful! Thank you, thank you!

Please come up to the Puget Sound. There are a number of newly certified divers looking for buddies. There are some resources, like Pacifc Northwest Scuba (the Pacific Northwest Scuba, also on meetup), which is free. There are other good paid membership dive clubs, like Moss Bay and Marker Buoy Dive Club.

You are not far from @Peter Guy who is in Olympia and may be helpful to suggesting how to connect with divers. Also there's an Underwater Sports in Olympia which organizes dives.

Right now I'm trying to get my best OW student ever connected with more divers, but she's 15, so not yet driving.

I don't have a buddy either, and travel solo. Like the previous posters said, talk with the dive ops and maybe use a dm/guide the first day. I haven't been to Belize, but I'm usually paired up with an instabuddy or added as a third to another pair of divers. I tell the dive ops I'm alone when I'm booking and ask if that's ok. Usually ops that cater to vacationing recreational divers pair people up all the time or offer guides.

While I don't have a permanent dive buddy, I've had good luck with finding group dive opportunities or occasional buddies with Meetup groups. I basically joined every Meetup dive group within a distance I'm willing to drive... :)

Thank you, awesome advice. I do other Meetup groups but didn’t even consider there might be a scuba one!

We go to Cozumel a few times a year. I can't think of a single trip that there has not been a single diver on the boat at one time or another. Off the top of my head...an Engineer from Mexico, a Nurse from Maine, a family lawyer from Dallas, etc. The Good thing about Cozumel is the warm, friendly people and friendly atmosphere are contagious. Any dive ops with multiple boats will be able to make sure that you are on a boat appropriate to your skill level. Spend an hour or so on the Cozumel forum on this site and you will have a lot of ideas on where to stay, where to eat, what the favorite reefs are, who the favorite dive ops are, and about anything else you would like to know.

If you go once, I promise you will be back. The feel and the people are nothing like mainland Mexico. The other great thing is you can spend as little, or as much as you want. A weeks diving, with air fare, for me and my wife usually runs right around $2000.

Best thing about diving in warm water is you can actually see all the other fish in the sea!! They are out there....you just have to catch the right one.

Sorry for the "all people in the Pacific NW love coffee" stereotype, but the best coffee I've ever had is at El Coffee Cozumel!! If you don't love it, I'll buy your cup!!!! Maybe it's the location....,

Good luck and safe travels.
Jay

Back
Top Bottom