Land-based or live aboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smartcar8

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, My wife and I will be in Thailand in February and want to do some diving. Is it possible to be land-based and still do some good diving? If so what would be a good island to choose? If we went the liveaboard route - what are the preferred liveaboards for a couple? Thanks for any info!

Many liveaboard options, it would really depend on your preferences.

But even if land based diving there are some really nice options: Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Koh Haa (accessible from Koh Lanta), Phi Phi area, King Cruiser and Shark Point area (accessible from Lanta, Phi Phi, Krabi (Ao Nang) and Phuket, and Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock, accessible from Khao Lak and Phuket.

Hi there!

Of course, you can dive from land. As Stevenl mentioned, your land-based options are many. However, we really believe that the best diving in Thailand is in the Similan Islands, which are best accessed by liveaboard.

In terms of boats for couples, we recommend:
1. SY Diva Andaman
2. The Junk
3. Thailand Aggressor

All of these specialize in customer service and comfortable accommodations.

If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch. In the meantime, happy diving!

December 2-10. One person, single. Prefer en suite loo. Simillians,, Richelieu. Non families , 20s-40s.

I did land-based dives when I was in Thailand, mostly based on Koh Tao and Koh Phi Phi. I thought the diving was fine off longtail boats. I wish I'd had more time there so I could have done a LOB to the Similans though.

If you don't mind a little basic have a look at Smiling Seahorse, cracking boat and crew and they do trips up to Myanmar as well.

Back
Top Bottom