Looking for Big Isle operator/DM suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquamanKauai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Aloha and thanks in advance for your help on this...

I've done extensive diving on the Big Isle while working the Kona Aggressor. I'm returning to do a land based vacation and I'm looking for suggestions on a small operator with knowledgable guides. Seems most shops offer pretty similar trips. We'd like to do a 6 pack if possible and would like to track down some experienced guides. We get pretty spoiled on Maui with Pauline and her staff at Mike Severn's - hoping to find a similar operation Kona side.

Thanks a ton for your help

Interested in anyone who has done the longer range trips as well.

A

Back in September, I did quite a bit of diving with Kona Honu Divers, mainly because they weren't as big/popular as Jack's Locker or Big Island Divers. Great shop/crew!

I like Pacific Rim Divers. The owners, Patrice and Frank, are on the boat almost every day. They provide excellent customer service, and run a much smaller boat than Jack's. I regularly visit Maui, Kauai and the BI, and PacRimDive are my favorite dive op. I used to use Jack's, but switched to smaller boats about 10 years ago. Jack's was pretty good, but they have a large staff, so over a week of diving, I'd hardly ever dive with the same DM.

If you'd like guided shore diving in the south, call Gary Russell. He's the nicest guy on the whole island and he also provides tanks. 808-328-9515.

Give Kohala Divers in Kawaihae a try. Great diving without the Kona crowds.

-AZTinman

Do check us out at sugar-inc.com if you are looking for a combination of a great place to stay and shore dives down south . . . we have lots of fun!

I second Kohala Divers if you are staying north of Kona (e.g. Waikoloa). Great crew, small groups, and you'll have the dive sites to yourself (they are the only ones operating in the North Kohala area).

Kohala divers is a great shop, small 15 passenger boat. I dove with them Saturday, 10 divers in 2 groups. In Kona, Kona Honu, Kona Dive co. and Jacks are all very good, Jacks is the largest but still treats you right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom