• Can't discuss under advisement of my attorney

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Never buy it

Votes: 35 19.4%
  • Polls are for chumps

Votes: 14 7.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what it's worth, DAN isn't an insurance company. They just resell insurance for a commission. The company they write for is Travel Guard Group, Inc. They are the actual insurance company. So if you hunt around for new insurance, make sure they aren't writing for Travel Guard Group, Inc or you'll get the same thing next time.

DAN's "diver insurance" is actually United States Life Insurance Company out of New York. It isn't "DAN insurance".

The benefit of getting it thru DAN is that since DAN is actually USLI and TGG's customer, DAN might be able to get them to bend the rules for you when the insurance company otherwise might not. DAN probably gives them tens of thousands of $ in business, so USLI and TGG want to keep them happy.

I think the confusion was the first person I spoke to on the phone was unfamiliar with what a liveaboard was. When I began listing it as a cruise, it made sense to people.

Additionally, since the airlines cancelled
Their flights, anything we had paid to do on that trip was able to be refunded because the fights were cancelled.

Also, I believe one could argue that the boat is also a common carrier because it has a scheduled arrival and departure time, which was one of the criteria when I was digging into the fine print

I think the confusion was the first person I spoke to on the phone was unfamiliar with what a liveaboard was. When I began listing it as a cruise, it made sense to people.

Additionally, since the airlines cancelled
Their flights, anything we had paid to do on that trip was able to be refunded because the fights were cancelled.

Also, I believe one could argue that the boat is also a common carrier because it has a scheduled arrival and departure time, which was one of the criteria when I was digging into the fine print

That's really good information for anyone making a claim to keep in mind. Use the word "cruise"--maybe something like "scuba diving cruise"--in your claim.

Glad I read the whole thread. I had DAN trip insurance last year to cover a live-aboard trip to Turks & Caicos. My dive buddy and I both got as far as Atlanta and were waiting to board the flight to Providenciales when Aggressor cancelled the trip because of Hurricane Matthew. It took 3+ months and more communication between me, Aggressor, CSA, and eventually DAN than I would have thought was necessary because of how obvious it seemed to me. In the end, when I was frustrated about how long it took, I communicated with DAN, who communicated with the underwriter, who then made the claim payment happen.

So based on this thread DAN may be better suited for dive insurance and not trip insurance. Too bad. I like DAN in general. I have filed a claim for trip insurance in the past and I was satisfied with the process. It needn't be onerous.

So based on this thread DAN may be better suited for dive insurance and not trip insurance.

I'm not ready to give up on DAN for trip insurance, despite the length of time it took for my claim last year. This thread has been great in showing me options and I will likely look them over in the future. At my advancing age, I've experienced claims of several types of insurance, and they all seem to have some friction, no doubt to protect what the insurance carrier believes their interests are. In my case, I'm glad I had DAN to reach out to simply "prod" the carrier, which resulted in the claim being settled quickly thereafter.

I'm not ready to give up on DAN for trip insurance, despite the length of time it took for my claim last year. This thread has been great in showing me options and I will likely look them over in the future. At my advancing age, I've experienced claims of several types of insurance, and they all seem to have some friction, no doubt to protect what the insurance carrier believes their interests are. In my case, I'm glad I had DAN to reach out to simply "prod" the carrier, which resulted in the claim being settled quickly thereafter.

I agree. I’ll but DAN again when we take the kids to Cozumel for the invasion

I had no idea DAN was limited like this!

I had no idea DAN was limited like this!
With 6 pages of posting, no one knows what you are referencing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom