Double tanks not the same size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where you should be concerned is when you set the cylinders down. If set down "hard" then they could shift is the bands and subsequently damage the manifold. Adding shim in the boot would help but then few use boots on doubles.

I had a set of doubles that were slightly off height wise and they worked fine. Like others said, they were slightly crooked when standing up but it wasn't anything that impacted their function.

Some one mentioned a canted crossbar above.

I think he just means the manifold looks slanted because the tanks are uneven. As in the entire setup is slanted.

Let's hope so, but I've seen a few bent cross bars in my time from uneven tanks getting dropped or set down hard, particularly if the bands are cheap or not as tight as they should be.

Dissimilar cylinders is a very bad idea. Back mount or side mount. Ever see a manifold failure at depth? I sure don’t want it to happen to me.

I think he just means the manifold looks slanted because the tanks are uneven. As in the entire setup is slanted.
I did specifically say slanted, not bent or canted, and I think I also mentioned that it's so slight that you only notice if you have another setup nearby. :wink: They are otherwise assembled correctly, with strong, properly tightened bands. And no boots.

Thanks for the concern.

-B

Alright guys, I have an update. One of my concerns is the slant when the tanks are standing. So, I laid down the tanks and with a carpenters square and another ruler I measured the difference to be 9mm. After further inspection, I noticed I cannot cut out the boot so the taller tank sits lower. Therefore, the other option is to fabricate a spacer and build up the boot on the short tank. I bought a delrin bar about 1.5 inches wide x 10 inches long x 1/2 thick on ebay. I grinded down the bar to 9mm and just long enough to fit in between the ribbing of the boot and alas, my tanks sits nice and tall. In conclusion one tank is still taller than the other due to neck length and it is slightly noticeable. However, the tanks have a proper stance and I'm no longer worried about my manifold taking a beating. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom