TG-3 & TG-4 Housing Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, my serious runner-up has been the Pentax/Ricoh WG-5, a worthy competitor to the Olympus TG series in that it's also rugged and waterproof. A major bonus to me is the controls and menu layout have not changed much from my older Pentax.

However, there's only one housing option I can find for the Pentax, from Recsea, and unlike Olympus, Ricoh doesn't seem to be supporting it with a lot of options.

I know you can buy the fiber optic adapter separately, the package I bought included it, Jack can probably let you know better what's included in each package.

I'm using the ys-03, which came with a fiber optic cable. I haven't had any issues, I use the underwater mode mostly (occasionally venture into aperture mode) and set flash to fill-in.

I have my tg-4 set to take a raw and jpeg, I usually end up just using the jpeg, but the option is there to edit the raw which is nice if some setting on the camera makes the jpeg come out bad.

Was thinking about getting the ikelite housing for the tg4
Do I need an adapter if I get the sea sea ys03 strobe

Used ikelite before and liked it.
It's even made in the USA

The Nauticam offers the same sort of options, however it is 67mm threaded.

I have the tg-4 with an ikelite housing I would stay away from the ikelite housing the buttons are VERY hard to push almost like they do not reach far enough to contact the camera. Also not impressed with the quality of the latch.

I have the tg-4 with an ikelite housing I would stay away from the ikelite housing the buttons are VERY hard to push almost like they do not reach far enough to contact the camera. Also not impressed with the quality of the latch.

Wow does everybody else have this problem with ikelite and is the olympus housing so much better

I have a TG-4 with the Olympus housing and I am extremely pleased with all the controls (specially the shutter), the layout of the button is great, the label right on the buttons is good, and I like the way they feel.

I have used Ikelite housings in the past (we used to sell them at the LDS were I worked in the 70’s). I always liked them, but my most recent experience with their compact housing and a Nikon Coolpix camera was not as good. The on/off button was sticking from day one. The other buttons are not bad, but they don’t feel as good as the Olympus buttons and they are harder to operate with gloves.

I have only had the Olympus housing for a bit over 6 months, so time will tell, but so far I am extremely pleased.

Sounds like the factory housing is pretty good. However, I would love to hear anyone's first-hand account of any experiences with the Nauticam housing for this model. I'm a bit surprised they're making one; while they make dozens of different housings for higher-end DSLRs, mirrorless, and pro-video, they make just a handful for compact digitals - the Sony RX100 line, a couple Canons, and just this one Olympus.

Thought I would update this older thread to keep it a comprehensive list of TG-3/TG-4 dive housings.

First off, it's worth mentioning that now there exists a TG-5, with lower resolution than the TG-4 (12MP vs. 16MP), but better low-light performance (ISO 12800 vs 6400), faster continuous shooting (20fps vs 5fps), and better video. But as far as housings go, while outwardly the TG-5 seems mostly similar to the earlier models, nevertheless the TG-5 is apparently incompatible with TG-3/TG-4 housings and thus requires housings specifically for that model.

List of Dive Housings for Olympus TG-3/TG-4
Note a few changes:
  • Updated link to the Nauticam.
  • Ikelite has replaced their earlier 6233.03 model with the 6233.04. Aside from the milky white colored polycarbonate replacing the older model's clear case, it looks like they moved the shutter lever to the side, and it has a "new zoom control". Updated link.
  • There's a new entry for the Sea Frogs SF-TG4. This is apparently a brand from Hong Kong company Meikon. Black one is linked, but also comes in yellow and pink.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom