Which lightweight and durable bag for RX100 housing and accessories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kodo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I will embark on a three month trip starting by the end of December and will bring my RX100mk2 with me together with a Sony housing, a wide-angle lens and some batteries and chargers. I'd like to be able to pack it together with my diving gear (large Scubapro bag on wheels). During the flights I'll bring the sensitive stuff with me in the cabin luggage but while traveling between dive sites I'd like the camera bag to live in the Scubapro bag. I'm not looking for any "Rolls Royce" like camera bag (Pelican et al) - rather I'm looking for a lightweight and durable bag with enough space which doesn't cost a fortune. Would appreciate your input here...

Many thanks :)

Several years ago, I was on a LOB in Fiji and also on the boat was a "world class professional photographer". The one thing that he passed on that I still use today is that a really good, cheap and effective camera bag is simply one of those soft, insulated lunch boxes or coolers.

They will not likely protect your fragile equipment if you simply put it in your checked luggage and turn it over to baggage handlers, but to transport your camera while in your carry-on or a dive bag, they are ideal.

Several years ago, I was on a LOB in Fiji and also on the boat was a "world class professional photographer". The one thing that he passed on that I still use today is that a really good, cheap and effective camera bag is simply one of those soft, insulated lunch boxes or coolers.

They will not likely protect your fragile equipment if you simply put it in your checked luggage and turn it over to baggage handlers, but to transport your camera while in your carry-on or a dive bag, they are ideal.

+1

I found these also while searching for a good travel bag for my dive camera. Light, waterproof, durable, easy to travel with one of these. Even better, you can fill it with fresh water from the dunk tank on the boat and keep your camera/lens protected from the demolition derby with other divers' gear. I picked up an AO Coolers 12-can cooler, which is a pretty small option. It can carry my RX100ii/housing, tray with single strobe/arm, and wet wide angle lens. You could probably add a macro lens if you wanted. For a double-strobe setup, I'd go with a larger size. I checked mine inside of my large roller bag on my last trip to Hawaii and it did fine.

Hi guys!

Many many thanks for your great advice(s). Right now I think the "lunch box approach" has a slight edge compared to the nice Isotecnic bak although it looks very stylish :)

Again - many thanks :)

I will +1 the cooler. The one you want is by AO. It’s awesome. In transit on flights I use thinktank’s international 3.0 but wanted a lightweight versatile option for when I arrive. For the cooler, I took it on a trip with me to be my personal rinse tank and as an easy way to transport my RX100IV to and from day boats as well. I bought the 24 can size but I have 4 5 inch arms, 8 jumbo floats, two strobes, a focus light, as well as a wide angle lens with dome port on a housing with tray and grips. Plus a separate macro lens. Some extra space for other necessities for the day in a small dry bag and in the front zip pockets also fit. It’s perfect. It offers ease of carrying, protection to and from and when there’s no room in rinse tank, and on non-dive says I have an amazing cooler. It packs away in my checked baggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom