UEMIS battery replacement - cont.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Schott,
When I sent email to 'Info@sealevelscuba.com', I received delivery failed message from email delivery system about 'campurr@sealevelscuba.com' email address. That email address has full. Maybe you made indirectly connected from 'Info@sealevelscuba.com' to 'campurr@sealevelscuba.com'.

Anyway, good news for me you still serve to SDA battery replacement. I will send my SDA with charger cradle (USB cable and adapter) and $50 check to you.

Thank you,
Danny

I have ordered 3 LiPo batteries to see what is the biggest I can fit in the battery compartment. Two of them, E-flite 500mAh and Tigers 600 mAh fit easilly.View attachment 103057 I have soldered in E-flite 500mAh ( since it arrived first) and after charging it SDA run for 8 hr's continously on land on 100% screen intensity. Next two batteries arrive simultaneously ( Tigers 600 mAh and Turbo Ace Lipo 900 mAh).View attachment 103058
Tigers 600 mAh has almost the same dimentions as E-flite. Turbo Ace 900 is larger and to squeeze it into the battery compartment I had to trim the wrapp: View attachment 103059
After that battery fitts into the compartment thightly. I have soldered terminals to the oryginal battery board on the top:View attachment 103060
Battery compartment is closing with little room on the top for filling compound. Schott from Sea Level Scuba recomended GE RTV 615 resin which is used to seal batteries on other computers. After charging I am going to run the SDA on new battery to see how long it will last and report later.
Realizing I'm resurrecting an 11 year old thread...I'm just getting around to replacing the battery in my SDA and am hoping someone can check me on this:

I found a replacement battery that seems to fit the spec based on what I've been able to glean from research and measuring the (unlabeled) battery in my unit that I just extracted.

Not sure if this is just a function of the evolution of technology over the past decade, but this claims to give me 1000mAh in an acceptable form factor.

Question:

The battery in my unit is soldered directly into the protection circuit:

IMG_3643.JPG

The new battery I linked above seems to have a similar protection circuit as part of the battery itself (under the gold tape).

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 10.19.07.png

My question now is whether I can simply cut the old assembly out altogether (including the existing protection circuit), and simply install this battery (perhaps even by quick-connect to simplify things in the future)?

For anyone else still reanimating these devices, RayTech now sells a 250ml quantity of Magic Power Gel.

Thanks in advance for anyone still alive that remembers these things :)

Realizing I'm resurrecting an 11 year old thread...I'm just getting around to replacing the battery in my SDA and am hoping someone can check me on this:

I found a replacement battery that seems to fit the spec based on what I've been able to glean from research and measuring the (unlabeled) battery in my unit that I just extracted.

Not sure if this is just a function of the evolution of technology over the past decade, but this claims to give me 1000mAh in an acceptable form factor.

Question:

The battery in my unit is soldered directly into the protection circuit:

View attachment 706667

The new battery I linked above seems to have a similar protection circuit as part of the battery itself (under the gold tape).

View attachment 706668

My question now is whether I can simply cut the old assembly out altogether (including the existing protection circuit), and simply install this battery (perhaps even by quick-connect to simplify things in the future)?

For anyone else still reanimating these devices, RayTech now sells a 250ml quantity of Magic Power Gel.

Thanks in advance for anyone still alive that remembers these things :)

Hmm so I have changed the battery a few years ago as I also own one of those (absolutely amazing computer, was years ahead of anybody at the time...sadly form what i heard from some people that knew the original folks behind the computer, it has failed due to teething issues (screen dying RMAs) and not enough marketing), but mine did not have a protection circuit. That said it was a 2nd battery change - 1st time sent it back, when the 2nd iteration of the company still existed. Only later decided to DYI, when the replacement died (turned our they used bad battery batch). So mine had a tiny (literally about 1/5 of the one on your pic) PCB attached, but dunno what was it. As soldering was absolute pain (think during the 1st battery change they used some strange solder that was super hard to remove), i just cut the cables and attached the battery without that "extra" PCB. Computer works fine, i just make sure to never leave it charging unattended and disconnect as soon as it shows full. Just in case.

I've ordered these two from HobbyKing:
-Turnigy Graphene 950mAh 1S 65C LiPo Pack w/ JST-SYP-2P
-Turnigy Graphene 750mAh 1S 65C Lipo Pack w/ 2pin Molex Connector

The 950mAh was a bit big, so it was problematic to get a good seal. Used the 750mAh at the end, including removing the rubber cover. Works to this day, 4 years now, though might try to replace it with 14500, or maybe even 18500 battery in the future.

Thank you for the reply and for the battery recommendations. I've yet to make much progress on my endeavor, but I do have the battery now, so I simply need to solder it in and pot it. I'm fairly confident now that the PCB there is a precursor to the "on-board" protection circuits these batteries are now shipping with. Bummer that these folks went out of business. I agree that this was ahead of its time and it still suits my needs perfectly. Looking forward to seeing it come back to life and will update the thread once I have some new to share.

Good luck with the replacement...its pretty easy, most annoying part was scraping out the old jello :)
Just make sure there is enough layer between battery and the cover, that was the reason I went with the smaller battery - 950 one was too fat, leaving very little gap. Also pour the Ray magic very slowly, make sure no air bubbles stay anywhere.
And do let me know how the 1000 mah battery is holding...just measured the 18500 but that one won't fit sadly.

Here is a quick reference photo
Good luck with the replacement...its pretty easy, most annoying part was scraping out the old jello :)
Just make sure there is enough layer between battery and the cover, that was the reason I went with the smaller battery - 950 one was too fat, leaving very little gap. Also pour the Ray magic very slowly, make sure no air bubbles stay anywhere.
And do let me know how the 1000 mah battery is holding...just measured the 18500 but that one won't fit sadly.
Here's a quick photo of the new battery (1000mah, specs listed in thread) vs the original. Certainly seems I could have gone larger. Then again, who knows how this will swell. I can only imagine the tech has changed over the years because the original (swollen) battery is almost twice the size of the replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_5840.jpeg
    IMG_5840.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5839.jpeg
    IMG_5839.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 87
This one does look pretty small indeed, much smaller than the Turnigy 950mah I've tried (70x26x7mm vs 52x20x10 on your battery...my current 750 mah is 45x25x10, that is including the rubber cover which i have ripped off). So looks like a perfect fit, provided its really 1000 mah and not "chinese" 1000 mah xD ...do let me know how long it holds, really curious... would be a nice upgrade over my 750 mah.
FYI i've also had a weird plastic insert there originally ie. under the battery cover, but removed that since, as it fits better without it (and no leaks since). Also skipped the soldering part (since after the very first time the battery was exchanged in the Uemis service, it has used this annoying aluminium based solder that was impossible to remove for unskilled me) - tied wires together and tightened with tiny plastic zip ties. DYI as it goes :)

Well if Li-Ion battery is swollen that normally means its a already a fire hazard and need to get rid of it asap...but I've only had it once with Uemis, the very first time - basically battery was low so smart me left it in the sun to charge...in Indonesian climate... Since then never leaving it in direct sun, as the solar panel works fine in shade too, and all is well.

Back
Top Bottom