Do you still use a SPG with a AI computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a recreational diver it seems reasonable to me is to simply halt the dive and perform a normal surface ascent if the transmitter fails mid-dive. I check my gas on a regular basis so I am not too concerned about being able to surface safely. Then install the spare SPG that is kept in the "save-a-dive kit" for the next dive. I don't really see the need to have the backup SPG always connected but I clearly understand why it is done.

When I attach my reg to the tank
My point is that someone else is attaching my reg to the tank. No problem if I do it. The problem is if someone else does it. Perhaps you have not dived with a "full-service" operator?

I've been diving a hoseless AI for 7 1/2 years/nearly 1000 dives. I dive with a backup computer and a SPG. I've needed the backup computer and SPG for one day when the battery on my primary computer went out (my fault, did not check it first dive between trips), and needed the SPG for one day when my transmitter went out. I am loathe to miss a dive or interfere with a series of dives because I don't have a computer or SPG.

I still don’t trust wireless AI dive computer. I use hose AI dive computer (Cobra3), another dive computer without AI (D4) and SPG as a back up if the Cobra3 caput.

This question has no right or wrong answer. It's a matter of individual preferences.
Back in 2009, my wife and I got a pair of ScubaPro Galileo Luna's. We've had excellent results with them.

I don't see the need for an SPG, nothing wrong with having them... in fact, I've got one as a backup in case I need to tap into it. Relying solely on AI hoseless works very well for me. This may likely be the case with several other divers.

Last but not least, even though it's common for crew members to switch tanks while you are on a liveaboard, or when enjoying a dive vacation, I'm one to explain on day one that I welcome their help and support, but have this obsessive compulsion to do it my self. They understand and let me take care of my gear. Never had a problem and plan on keeping it that way.

If you are hesitant, you may want to use both for a while and see if it's reliable enough for you just go with AI.

I currently dive with 3 computers. This is for sure an overkill, but that's what I like and that's what I do. I use the Galileo Luna, a shearwater Perdix, and a Mantis2. BTW, both Mantis2 and Luna share the same transmitter, so it's awesome.

Cheers,
Ricardo

Last edited:
Like GreggS, in addition to my Aeris AI, I also carry a full backup console. I do not care if someone wants to criticize me for gear selection, because it has saved a two tank dive when I has a battery issue on the AI, and on another occasion I looked down to find my primary compass got damaged on the boat between dives. While I would not have thumbed the dive for a broken compass, having a spare gave me comfort at the unfamiliar dive site.

Last edited:
Yes, always, no matter what, I use analog SPG on 24" hose, with 2 (yes, 2) AI computers (Perdix AI and Cochran Gemini).

Yes. For me the two have different purposes. The SPG is for on the dive, for me and my buddy if he/she chooses to look, the AI is for logging gas consumption so I can plan better in future.

As a recreational diver it seems reasonable to me is to simply halt the dive and perform a normal surface ascent if the transmitter fails mid-dive. I check my gas on a regular basis so I am not too concerned about being able to surface safely. Then install the spare SPG that is kept in the "save-a-dive kit" for the next dive. I don't really see the need to have the backup SPG always connected but I clearly understand why it is done.
To each his own but, for me the reason to have the backup SPG always connected is simple: it's so that there will never be a need to halt a dive and perform a normal surface ascent if the AI transmitter fails mid-dive.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom