Purpose and Use of Multiprong Spear Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you are a nomad a response is difficult with out knowing where you are diving

Libya, southern coast of the Mediterranean :)

Why not E-mail Omer and ask them what they recommend them for?

I thought to check here on SB first for quicker answers. I will check with Omer and hope that they will respond.

Please let us know if you find out what it is good for.

I will once I find out the definitive answer :)

Last edited:
What a cleaver ideas:

@Akimbo Why not E-mail Omer and ask them what they recommend them for?

@Burhammuntaster I thought check first for quicker answers. I will check with Omer and hope that they will respond.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dang Kids with college educations think of everything !

I was unaware a dive manufacture Omer produced it

It is a as we have referred to it in the California Spearfishing community for several generations as a Halibut Hammer-- Omer may have a different name but the idea is the same

Swim upon a resting flat fish (preferably resting over a sand bottom) and thrust the Hammer into the fish-- Game on!

In California we use a hammer for all sorts of flat fish- Halibut, Turbot and sand dabs...generally but not always resting in the sand.

I like the commercially produced Omer handle but the tines would probably bend and/or allow the fish to escape...

I give in a thumbs down as compared to the home constructed California Halibut hammer

Now off to MC D for a fish sandwich...

SDM

https://www.walmart.com/ip/National...8703&wl11=online&wl12=584858175&wl13=&veh=sem I have used something like this 5 prong inline, but galvanized. We only do headshots close up in rocks. Knocks the sh@t out of Lingcod and Cabazon. Very hard to remove it. Now I only use slip tips. Spearpoint screws on shaft and has a cable or line that releases tip from shaft. Many use this same inline 5 prong for Halibut back in 70's and 80's. Head/gill shots. We do not do body shots if we can help it.

Last edited:
I use them on fish up to #100 pounds regularly, freeshafting bottom fish and lineshafting pelagics.

Jim shot that video on my boat and has been coming over to the dark side for a while,we sell our fish and other tips often do a lot of meat damage lowering the value.

The 3 tine JBLs can also be used on smaller fish without blowing through.

With 3 tines you have 3 times the chance of hitting the spine and stoning a fish.

Some of you have seen these already,but they clearly show that many myths regarding paralyzers are just that.

@100days-a-year a year

Appreciate your post and the videos of bubble blowing /spearing - very impressive
Hard to Id the guns --Riffes ? or ?

Why so many why the wholesale slaughter in video number 2 ?

Somne day Florida will be taking action to gain more control over spearfishing -- until that time enjoy

I posted the following before on this same thread-- I suspect it needs to be posted again FYI

Over 25 years ago there was a board titled "Free dive list." Seventeen years ago in 2000 they organized and sponsored the huge 2000 Free dive Party which was the last gathering of the worlds "Fathers of Free diving and Spear fishing." It was a very monumental event in the history of spear fishing. The 50 or so fathers came from all points of the globe for this last hurrah; Central and South America, Europe, Australia, the Pacific Islands and North America -three were honored from Orange County California the late Ron Merker, Allan (Omar) Wood and my self

In honor of the event and the Fathers posted the following on the Free Dive List:

"We Fathers of Free Diving and Spearfishing have been honored as pioneer participants in a noble sport where one matches their skill in a very hostile enviroment with that of his finney adversary in an activity that has become internationally known as "Spearfishing."

Spearfish with great dignity and pride in this the noblest of all man's activities,but with restraint and selecive spearfishing rather than wholesale slaughter, for with every activity there is a Beginning; a Middle; and an End............"

We the "Fathers" of this great activity were honored to have been a participant in the Beginning, we are some where in the Middle and if precautions aren't established and if restraints aren't practiced the End of spearfishing can be in the immediate future"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Always remember this:

"if precautions aren't established and restraints aren't practiced the End of spearfishing can be in the immediate future"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI
Only a hand full of the Fathers have survived the passage of the last seventeen years ~~ One by one they have passed on and are now diving on that big reef in the sky.

( I have been fortunate to have been graced with an alert mind ,good health and a very long life, Hopefully I can pass just a little of my experiences on to this and future generations before my DOC (day of croaking)

Sam,I am heavily involved in mnagement of fisheries in Florida and the SE Atlantic and nothing could be further from reality.Fisheries managers are very happy with spearfishing as a harvest method and particularly as a low bycatch method.

I shoot predominately commercially hence the "wholesale slaughter "All the species we shoot are well managed and witb the exception of a few are more prevalent now than 20 years ago and rebuilding.
Most of my buddies shoot AB Biller,NFL or Rhino guns or some hybrid combo of parts from them.

Thank You -- explains the shooting frenzy-- commercial harvesting

The late great Sam Ichakawa of the disbanded "Nesi Kelp Tanglers" always referred to Spear fishing as
"Selective fishing,"

He was so right on ! And you and your group in Florida are verifying his very profound statement Sam made many years ago
Enjoy - stay safe

Sam Miller, III

PS: Sam was also inducted into the Fathers of Free Diving and Spear fishing - so sad he is also now spearing in he great reef in the sky

I find it useful when hunting Lionfish in FL. I routinely use the Lionfish-Slayer. It's a special spearing contraption. Nothing as big or powerful as in preceding discussions and videos, but still sporting 3 tips. Safe and accurate Lionfish spear poles - Lionfish Slayer
Cheers,
Ricardo
PS: Here is a photo of the 3 prongs doing what they are supposed to do.

IMG_0378.JPG

The multi-prong tips in the trident flat head layout increase the chance of a hit and if most prongs skewer the prey then it is fully incapacitated. On polespears they have been used on large Halibut, but the weight and hydrodynamic drag of such tips means that they decrease the range of a speargun unless shooting straight down. Five and six prong cluster heads are effective on reef fish as once stuck they are unlikely to escape. Once the fish is dispatched by braining it you push it off the barbs by pulling the spear up (after placing it back in the bandgun) between your swimfins and this will rip the barbs free. Long tine barbs have even been used to bump off Tuna with a shot in the head, but you need to be close and have a powerful gun. However once the prongs/tines get bent as a consequence of battle damage they don’t shoot as straight and need to be replaced or then used only for close-up work. The photo below is of 5 prong high speed cluster heads, "high" being a relative term compared with broader base 6 prong heads with a larger frontal area. Tines come in 6" and 8" versions, I have gone through a lot of them as like all spearfishing projectiles they need to be viewed as expendable.
PRANGERS LONG.jpg

With enough "horsepower" a gun can send the flat trident flying to take out multiple victims, here an "Alpha C1" pneumatic gun has skewered several fish. This gun is valve operated in terms of the trigger mechanism and has a 14 mm diameter inner barrel, thus is very powerful.
multiple victims.jpg

another victim of the trident R.jpg

Popgun Pete, I would say wicked on the paralyzer! But having to take time to move it side to side while pulling it off is not fun. California is head shots, so slip-tip. Your fish look pretty mutilated. Nice post though. Thank you for all your informative posts!

Back
Top Bottom