newbie adventures and misadventures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

speac

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Second post-cert dive with my Dad today at La Jolla Cove. Great day, but damn the growing pains!

I hate hoods. I have long hair and have wanted to keep it relatively contained. I tried a suit with a hood once--fail. Today I tried a cap with a neck strap. I thought I found success, but anytime the cap moved, it shifted my mask strap. I was having leaks, unwanted movement; it was a disaster. I'm pretty sure my Dad thought I was having a psychotic fit every time I attempted to resolve myself.

I got lost. With murky water and about 20 feet visibility, this wasn't hard for a newbie. I saw something pretty, got distracted, and when I turned my head to continue following, there was no Dad. I had a moment of panic and then fondly remembered Finding Nemo. I circled a giant seaweed stalk a couple times (in Dory fashion), and then surfaced. With great relief, I saw my Dad's head bobbing above water about 40 feet away.

I achieved neutral buoyancy for more than a split second. It was amazing to feel perfectly suspended with no movement except for a gentle see-saw current. Really cool experience, reminiscent of the Matrix.

Finally, we made friends with a sea lion pup. The sea lions at La Jolla Cove are accustomed to humans, but we ran into a particularly friendly little guy just near the shore. The pup would swim in circles, do little tricks, and then swim right up to your face. It was pretty remarkable. YouTube links attached for all the sea lions lovers out there.

Overall, it was a great day! But I am certainly looking forward to not struggling so much :wink:

Last edited:
It will come. Relax and enjoy. Congratulations on cert and completing 2nd post-cert dive.

Cheers - M²

Blame Dad. He is supposed to pay attention to you and not run offf without you.

Are you braiding your hair or otherwise pulling it back?

I see many long haired divers doing that. Also a neoprene mask strap makes a big difference, regardless of hair length.

Blame Dad. He is supposed to pay attention to you and not run offf without you.
Ouch, but true, Same experience first OW dive with my daughter. it takes two to have a buddy system. But so great that you remembered your training and surfaced safely.
We use neoprene mask straps and they work great.

I see many long haired divers doing that. Also a neoprene mask strap makes a big difference, regardless of hair length.

I have long hair (they reach all the way down my back). I agree with that. For me, nothing works as well as French/Dutch braids (you can have fun with those. One, two, three, or why not even more). An neoprene mask strap. That's a must for long hair.

Yea, thanks! French braiding and the neoprene strap helps a lot, but it's still a fiasco out of the water. I saw a neoprene hair sheath marketed for women divers on a website, but I can't find it for sale anywhere.

Just shave your head that's what all of the real divers would do.

You might try a doo rag to keep everything contained as you put on your hood.

try putting the cap/hood on top over the mask strap. i don't get why it isn't more popular.

Thanks for the videos, I made a sea lion costume for my pup and i see I need to rework it...they Don't have a mermaid tail :wink: You are so lucky to be able to dive with your dad, I envy you. Just keep diving and that moment of neutral buoyancy will be come a heartbeat, then a breath, then an minute and will just get better and better. Great job on swimming, swimming, swimming in that circle then surfacing to find your buddy. I have longish hair and braiding it helps, but my bangs kept escaping my hood. I got a bang wrangler (look in the women's perspectives forum) and use that to contain my bangs under my hood. You might need to find that sweet spot with your mask...

keep having fun and
dive safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom