South Africa diving - overview?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish I could recommend places much further south than Port St Johns, because the mingling of warm and cold ocean streams produce some interesting sea life … the only place I've seen Paper Nautilus. Or any Nautilus for that.

Port St Johns for the Sardine Run. Book ahead. Expensive.

Aliwal Shoal for Sharks ! Umkomaas. Both Tigerzzz and Grey nurse. Some great wrecks too..

Durban. Wrecks and Blood reef.

Sodwana Bay. Probably SA's best approximation of tropical reefs. My first Whale sharks.

Kosi Bay

Mozambique

Ponta d'Ouro

Tofo, Inhambane

Vilanculos / Bazaruto

Those would be my warm water highlights

We plan to travel next July 2018 to SA and were wondering whether to try to get in the water this trip.

July is winter in South Africa and although the diving is great, you will need thicker wetsuits.

Further North, in Mozambique is warm all year round. In fact I recommend Winter there, because Summer can be a bit too warm and humid.

Hi, sorry to hijack the thread. I am going to South Africa soon too, but in February. Do the recommendations given here stand for that period too? Can I hope for warmer water temperatures?
Thanks.

Just from my own 'nearby' trip to Madagascar for a month in February - yes, its hot and humid throughout East Africa and currents - particularly the Mozambique Eddy can be a PITA (tried to hitch a ride on a yacht to Mayotte to dive but none of the yachties would make the trip at that time of the year). Not sure about Moz but a lot of diveshops in Madagascar close down Dec - Feb.

I agree it's totally different to SEA Bill - you're on your own and expected to do your share. You would also need to understand TIA - This is Africa - things don't always work how we expect they would. I had to enlist the services of the local hustler and various hoteliers to find someone to take me out diving. They are also likely to refuse taking one diver alone out so bring a buddy.

Arranged the day prior for Our gear and my buddy and I for pickup from hotel - a man arrived, he picked up one bag of gear, got in his car and drove off. I lugged my gear down a literal goat track in 98% humidity swearing puffing and panting.

Maybe the help you need is in Seychelles - I want to do Zanzibar - Mafia and Pemba next and more of Africa - It's just different than SEA - awesome though. Indian Ocean rocks,

I don't mind hot and humid. I'm used to it from here. And I can carry my gear, even in this weather (actually, I don't like people to touch my gear, so that's actually great).

What worried me though is your mention of not taking one diver alone out. I will be the only diver (I'm travelling with my family, and none of them dive). Will that be an issues? Any places where it would be easy for a lonely diver to find a buddy?

Since I'm at it, I was wondering if you would have some recommendation of places where there will have other things to do outside of diving (my dad and brother would be happy with golf, and my mother with spa and/or shopping).

Alternatively, I was thinking about also maybe arriving/leaving before/after them so that I could focus on diving a few days/a week without boring them, but then that would mean that I will be a woman travelling alone. I do it regularly in Asia, and have done it also in Central/South America without issues. How about South Africa?

Hi, sorry to hijack the thread. I am going to South Africa soon too, but in February. Do the recommendations given here stand for that period too? Can I hope for warmer water temperatures?
Thanks.

February is warm water in South Africa. Approaching end of Summer. Probably still a bit hot further north in Mozambique.

What worried me though is your mention of not taking one diver alone out

This should not be an issue in South Africa.

other things to do outside of diving (my dad and brother would be happy with golf, and my mother with spa and/or shopping).

Some good coastal golf courses in that part of South Africa ... I'm not sure about Spas and shopping. Maybe antiquing …

I should warn you that SA diving is not “white glove” like the Caribbean. Entries/exits can be challenging and require a greater level of dexterity and fitness. IOW this is really not warm water wuss diving. If you’re used to someone setting up your gear and a gentle climb up a ladder onto a 40’ dive boat where a snack and drink await you, think again.
That is a true statement, first time I dived international I thought something is wrong and I'm goint to pay extra for the royal treatment hahahaha.
Yes 90% of the diving is done of rib boats, you set up, strip and clean your own gear. In most cases divers have to assist in launching the boats through the surf as well. To us that is standard practise and nobody gives it a second thought and I've never found it to be an issue with anyone I've dived with.
Diving on the east coast is predominantly drift diving and you will spend some time drifting on the surface after ascend untill the boat come round to pick you up, don't be alarmed the skippers know their stuff.

I don't mind hot and humid. I'm used to it from here. And I can carry my gear, even in this weather (actually, I don't like people to touch my gear, so that's actually great).

What worried me though is your mention of not taking one diver alone out. I will be the only diver (I'm travelling with my family, and none of them dive). Will that be an issues? Any places where it would be easy for a lonely diver to find a buddy?

Since I'm at it, I was wondering if you would have some recommendation of places where there will have other things to do outside of diving (my dad and brother would be happy with golf, and my mother with spa and/or shopping).

Alternatively, I was thinking about also maybe arriving/leaving before/after them so that I could focus on diving a few days/a week without boring them, but then that would mean that I will be a woman travelling alone. I do it regularly in Asia, and have done it also in Central/South America without issues. How about South Africa?
The charters usually only take min of 6 - 8 divers or else it is not worth it, too high running cost. But they schedule the dives daily and will inform you of days and times they have bookings for that can accomodate you as a single diver, I'm also one.
As for things to do, there are loads, golfing is plentyful we run some of the best cources in the world if I may say and in Natal have a couple of signature cources.
Sodwana is in a protected area surrounded by conservation camps and you are in nature itself, hiking trails, fishing, an outdoors person's paradise.

This should not be an issue in South Africa.

Some good coastal golf courses in that part of South Africa ... I'm not sure about Spas and shopping. Maybe antiquing …

Antiquing is actually perfect! That would be a good news for her, she is quite a collector. And diamonds would be nice (I believe that's the actual reason why she decided to go to South Africa). But that would be a rather less good news for my dad.

I'm glad to hear that being the only diver shouldn't be too much of an issue.

As for outdoor activities such as hiking, the only issue is that I wouldn't want them to go without me!

Back
Top Bottom