Mikron vs Legend vs Legend LX vs MK25+s600 or other recommendations ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaBreath

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm new to the diving, just gain my advanced card last Christmas. But I'm so loving it.
Now, I'm considering buying my own reg but I can't decide which one I should go to.
I mainly dive in Thailand or nearby like Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines. So mainly in warm water.
But may go further trip to colder water in few years.
I like deep dive but I think I'll limit my deep up to 40m only, not going for tech dive.
I was told to look for BALANCED reg for my own since I really go deep and stay longer than others.
However, I have no idea which set I should get.
I prefer to buy something that last long and easy to maintain.
Anything that is not too pricey and considering worth money for a diver that can dive 2-3 times a year.
I like going live aboard so can not make it much more than 2-3 times with 4-5days in water each trip.
But when I talk with shop they only suggested me to go for mk25+s600.
Which I think it is pricey, or is it resonable and should go for it ?
I was also try to read about Legend / Legend LX / Mikron / mk17 / Titan.
But the more I read the more I'm confused. Please help.

mk25 s600 is a good reg, just expensive at retail. the g260 is a better 2nd imo, but some people prefer the compactness and light weight of the s600. the mk25/s600 is an older model than the mk25 evo/s620 so it should be a little cheaper.

not sure on how easy to get some regs shipped from the US would be, but you may want to consider deep 6 or hog when the black friday sales roll around.

one stop dive carries IST regs which are taiwanese made. They are ok, but the plastic on the 2nd stages is a little tacky.

R-410 W/Enviro Seal Regulator, Clearance Sale, Regulators, IST Proline

Both Aqualung Titan and Core are excellent regs at a reasonable price.

In Thailand, I think Aquamaster has them.

The others are much more expensive for no real added benefit.

I believe that the MK17/S560 or the MK21/s560 combinations, if available in your region, are the best value with very high performance that will fit your needs exactly.

Legend is an excellent reg if you can afford it. It's what I dive as my primary.

Mk17 / g260 would be a reliable pair in the middle price range. This is my backup reg set. The Legend 2nd stage seems to be less buoyant to me so I prefer it slightly over the g260.

Mikron is small and much lighter than either of the above, but doesn't breath as nice (it's not bad, but noticeably not as good). I bought a Micron last year as my 1st regulator and upgraded to the Legend. I've been told by my local Aqualung technician that the Mikron is also tricky to service.

As Umumtu mentioned, the Titan and Core get high ratings and are positioned price-wise between the Mikron and Legend.

My wife has the Mikron. It is marginally not as easy a breather but she loves it because is is small and light in her mouth.

I prefer to buy something that last long and easy to maintain.

A sealed diaphragm first stage will be easier to rinse, such as a Scubapro MK17, paired with S560 fairly small and predominantly plastic, so limited corrosion.

I own 3 Mikrons so obviously I love mine. I can’t tell any difference between them and Eric’s Legend. My MK25/600’s do breathe a bit better but I have them tune hot and they have a venturi adjustment. The Mikrons do not.

So. If you like the look and feel of the Legend, go with it. If you want an excellent regulator that is lighter and smaller, go with the Mikron. But you really can’t go wrong with the Scubapro’s either.

Clear as mud right? The problem is that they are all excellent regulators with parts and service available worldwide and suitable for most all recreational divers (excluding true cold water diving). It may just come down to price and personal preference.

What regulators have you been diving?

Edit: by the photo it looks like s600, I assume paired with an MK 25? Have you been happy with it?anything you like or don’t like?

Last edited:
Both Aqualung Titan and Core are excellent regs at a reasonable price.

In Thailand, I think Aquamaster has them.

The others are much more expensive for no real added benefit.
There's no different in breathing, right ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom