Ankle weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flycaster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Do any of you use ankle weights to eliminate leg over-bouyancy?

No, and in most cases where I know buddies who used them we got rid of them after some proper adjustments. Usually plate or weights too high and once moved down a bit they no longer needed it. Or posture, light fins, unbalance etc.. I see many divers using them for no reason, they think they are trim but far from it.. They just are used to the seahorse style of diving and if the legs come up where they should be they feel light they are too light and hence ankle weights..
There surely are individuals who do need them but far from as many who are using them

No, and have never seen or even heard of such a thing. Look elsewhere to solve your problem. Start with fins.

Many people do. It's rare to need them permanently, but they can be good as a stopgap measure while you're figuring out what's making the legs float.

I see people using them occasionally.

I have a neutral pair of fins (Deep6 Eddy), a pair that is 1# negative (Hollis F1 LT), and a pair that is 2# negative (Hollis F1). I use whichever fins I need, in order to have proper trim. They all get used depending on whether I'm diving back mount single tank, back mount doubles, or side mount, and whether I'm diving in a wetsuit or a drysuit.

I liked them for years. For me the only disadvantage was one more thing to remember and install and for that reason I adjusted my DUI weight harness down so I didn't need them.

The people I knew who dived with them, were drysuit divers. Don't know why they used them though. Maybe because they were scared of floating upside down and using them as contra weight...

leg weights are training wheels you see new drysuit divers use sometimes, until they get the hang of the drysuit and maybe get some more negative fins.

if you need some temporarily while you sort out a drysuit, ask around your local buddies to borrow some. chances are somebody has a set lying around in their dive locker/garage

I see people using them occasionally.

I have a neutral pair of fins (Deep6 Eddy), a pair that is 1# negative (Hollis F1 LT), and a pair that is 2# negative (Hollis F1). I use whichever fins I need, in order to have proper trim. They all get used depending on whether I'm diving back mount single tank, back mount doubles, or side mount, and whether I'm diving in a wetsuit or a drysuit.

My old Oceanic fins I was was using are floaters.
I also have a pair of Scubapro Twin Jet fins Im going to try out next time I've had them with my gear for a while but don't remember whether they are floaters or not.

Last edited:
No, and have never seen or even heard of such a thing. Look elsewhere to solve your problem. Start with fins.

Every LDS worth a darn has them, there are many styles including "fill your own". Probably 10 manufacturers. They are pretty common.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom