Coz on a budget: 2tank Dive Hostel? Best bang for buck dive ops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as their policy on surfacing as a group, yes they have that. From my understanding 3 P's has a 70 minute dive limit.

Correct, 3P's policy is your tank to 700 PSI, your computer within NDL, or 70 minutes - whichever comes first that's when it's time to head up. I've never been on a dive with 3P's no matter how far we've stretched our time where a DM was not still in the water watching us from above to join for surfacing. That's freedom!

For "Coz on a budget", Aldora's shop is just a few yards down the street from 3P's but at $95 for a 2-tank dive compared to 3P's $76 (before 16% taxes and park fees get added to both) Aldora doesn't fit within a budget trip profile in my book. Pretty much all the reputable, busy dive ops offer 2-tank AM and 2-tank PM dive trips plus night dives if there is enough interest.

Price was my main reservation for them, but they have the only website I've seen so far that implied afternoon dives were possible. At the end of October, I imagine there would be enough interest for PM at most shops?

I just thought of another way to help reduce your total cost. Diving & most tourist activities are priced in US dollars but restaurants & general shopping prices are in Pesos. Paying restaurant bills in Pesos can save from 10-20% a lot of the time because they don't convert at rates close to the official rate. Take a reasonable amount of Pesos bought here in Canada & then get them from a banking machine at one of the banks around the main square area. Avoid privately owned banking machines.

I know 3P does afternoon dives, as well as twilight/night dives.

Price was my main reservation for them, but they have the only website I've seen so far that implied afternoon dives were possible. At the end of October, I imagine there would be enough interest for PM at most shops?

Afternoon dives are possible I'd surmise with many ops if there is enough participation to make it finacially reasonable for them.

Not sure if they have been mentioned already, but there's this:

Cozumel, the finest diving ever! | Hotel Cozumel & Resort

A reasonably priced AI with on-site dive op and pretty close to downtown.

2-tank AM, 1-tank PM.

Pretty sure you can shore dive there too.

Disadvantages may be bottom times, as you will very possibly be diving with lesser experienced divers than some of the other higher-tier ops, more divers in the groups, as it is a large resort, and if memory serves, their boats are a little on the slow side so longer trips out, and perhaps less frequently to the more distant sites.

Decisions, decisions; tough to know where to compromise when a budget says you have to.

Last edited:
As I mentioned earlier, BLue Magic does 2 tank afternoon dives and advertises it on their website. I have always been able to do afternoon dives with them, when I want to:
Daily Dive Trips
2-Tank dive (morning or afternoon) $79
2-Tank twilight dive $115
1-Tank night dive $59
Discover Scuba Diving $80
Discover Scuba Diving PLUS $125
Snorkel Tour* $40
Multi-Day Dive Packages:
3 Day 2-Tank Personal Valet Dive Trip $230
5 Day 2-Tank Personal Valet Dive Trip $370
Cozumel Dive Packages for Groups godive@bluemagicscuba.com

Dive Paradise afternoon dives are usually at Paradise Reef & will most likely include Resort Course divers but as an add on to a morning 2 tank package are well priced. The downside with Dive Paradise is you either go on the big boats which have shade or the small boats which do not have any form of shade.

I travel by myself to Cozumel and often look for inexpensive comfortable places to stay. I have never stayed in a Hostel but looking at them they are the least expensive accommodations I have seen. I like Tarimindo B&B. Tamarindo Cozumel | Bed and Breakfast Its walk to town, great location safe and comfortable. Check our Hotel Mary Carmen. Cozumel Hotel MARY CARMEN Cozumel Island Hotels Best Price Hotel in Cozumel, Scuba Diving Dive Hotels Cozumel, Hotels in Cozumel, Hotels in Cozumel Mexico, Business Hotel para Viajeros Viajantes de Negocios Cozumel Hotel Mayan Riviera Cozumel Hotel Quintana Roo Yucatan Mexico Another great location. Suites Bahia is on the square a bit closer to the ocean and dock. Suites Bahia Cozumel. I just used AirBnB for the first time for a trip in February, looking forward to that trip. I was surprised at the number of great options AirBnB offered.
The other option might be to book a room with a dive OP. Salty Endevors. Is a new shop, I have been diving with Henry, the owner a few times in the past few years. He is a great dive master and had a great staff. He also offered a room and a small apartment to rent to his dive customers. You should email and see what the cost of that is. Salty Endeavors - SCUBA diving on the incredible reefs of Cozumel Mexico! Whatever you decide, have a great time.

Hey all,

I'm the Henry which judydivescoz speaks of (Thanks for the kind words Judy!). In addition to owning Salty Endeavors Dive Center in Cozumel I also rent out a budget apartment. $20/night for two people, $10/night additional up to 6 people (3 beds). Two bathes, pool, AC, courtyard with grill, Wi-Fi, hot water... I'm cheaper and more comfortable than the hostels. Give it at look - 2-room, 3 Queen beds - Apartments for Rent in Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico

We of course can take care of all your diving needs as well. Let me know if we can help!

Back
Top Bottom