Coz on a budget: 2tank Dive Hostel? Best bang for buck dive ops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are cheap hotels in town - you should be able to get a room at La Casona Real, about 3 blocks straight back from the North end of the Plaza, for about $35 a night, and it even has a pool and AC. If you don't need either a pool or AC, you can do cheaper - maybe as low as $25 a night for your own room. If you go to $40-$45 a night, you can get in at either Suites Bahia or Suites Colonial (no pool at either, but a great breakfast buffet at Casa Mexicana included).

For an excellent "no frills" Dive Op, I recommend Dive with Martin. If you do a 5-day package, you should be able to do all 5 days for about $300, maybe a bit more. The only real problem is that Dive with Martin is located at the International Pier, at the South end of the south hotel zone (just past Casa del Mar, Park Royal and El Cid/la Cieba), and it doesn't pick up in town, so you'll have an 80 Peso taxi ride to and from diving if you stay in town.

There are cheap hotels in town - you should be able to get a room at La Casona Real, about 3 blocks straight back from the North end of the Plaza, for about $35 a night, and it even has a pool and AC. If you don't need either a pool or AC, you can do cheaper - maybe as low as $25 a night for your own room. If you go to $40-$45 a night, you can get in at either Suites Bahia or Suites Colonial (no pool at either, but a great breakfast buffet at Casa Mexicana included).

For an excellent "no frills" Dive Op, I recommend Dive with Martin. If you do a 5-day package, you should be able to do all 5 days for about $300, maybe a bit more. The only real problem is that Dive with Martin is located at the International Pier, at the South end of the south hotel zone (just past Casa del Mar, Park Royal and El Cid/la Cieba), and it doesn't pick up in town, so you'll have an 80 Peso taxi ride to and from diving if you stay in town.

Here's what my post should have read like.

Nice details, thanks!
Cameron

BTW, if this is your first trip to Coz, be aware that you will NOT necessarily save money doing All-Inclusive. One of the real draws of Cozumel is its wealth of restaurant options, in all budget categories. If you stay at Casa Mexicana, Suites Bahia, or Suites Colonial, your breakfast is included with the room, an excellent buffet at Casa Mexicana. If you do the Loncherias for lunch, small locally owned restaurants only open for lunch, you can get the Comida del Dia for 75-90 pesos plus tip, and you'll get plenty of very good food. And there are plenty of budget options for dinner. You can eat very well on Cozumel for $25 a day or less.

BTW, if this is your first trip to Coz, be aware that you will NOT necessarily save money doing All-Inclusive.

To the contrary. All inclusive resorts are far more than staying in a place where you can prepare your own meals such as an apartment or condo.

To the contrary. All inclusive resorts are far more than staying in a place where you can prepare your own meals such as an apartment or condo.

All inclusive generally means meals and drinks. There may be other minor distractions in the form of entertainment or group activities at some, but their value is questionable, particularly for the diver. I don't think I'm saying anything here that everyone doesn't already know, but I believe that the point being made was that on Coz, there are many many very good and affordable restaurants and bars that for the minor inconvenience of a pleasant little walk yield a superior product for less money.

I dove with a guy and girl who were staying at 2Tank hostel last year. They weren't a couple, met at the hostel. She said the rooms were fine, and nice to be able to hang out with people, if that is something that interests you.
I stayed at Hotel la Casona Real last year. A late planned trip during Mardi Gras, down town hotels were booked. I was pleasantly surprised. Clean rooms, pool, continental breakfast, and super friendly. Four minute walk to downtown, never needed a taxi. Dive op picked me up at the downtown pier. There are little places to eat in that area, really cheap and great food. Also, two blocks away is a large grocery, nice after a four dive day if I didn't want a restaurant.

Just an FYI for some. He's in Canada & we are paying roughly $1.25 per $1.00 US so price matters. Getting the most from your money effects decisions on where to stay & what's important right down to the tips. I highly recommend AI when staying where I stay because it seldom costs what my wife (who doesn't swim or dive so hangs out at the hotel) and I would end up spending over the bed & breakfast price which is the other option. We're on vacation & not just there to dive. We do however want the benefits of the resort setting rather than a room we won't use for much more than to sleep in or as a change room. A basic room looks like it fits his wants & as pointed out there are a lot of great choices in restaurants & meal costs if located with walking distance of your lodging. Staying well away from the down town core will either add costs for transportation or require a lot of walking.

My 1st trip to Cozumel was in 1990. I’ve been there ~14x now and headed back in Dec 2017. I have stayed at the following places: Casa Del Mar 9x, El Cid 1x, Allegro AI 2x, Secrets Ai 1x and Residencias Reef 1x. I am headed back for the 4th time in 2 years Dec 2017, and will be staying at Casa del Mar. Affordable, clean Rooms, outstanding service and friendly staff, great restaurant. Maybe it’s just because they know me after 27 years, but they remember my name and I get big hugs from the staff. Maybe it’s all the 2for1 Sols @ happy hours, lol.

As for diving, I prefer to go with a private guide / good friend I’ve made after all these years. But buyer beware - you get what you pay for – want it cheap, go for it, but don’t complain when you see nothing or you get left behind.

Restaurants are WAY TOO GOOD on the island to go with an all inclusive.

Back
Top Bottom