Kittiwake site closed. Ship listed in Tropical Storm Nate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been told that a crew from DT will check her out in the morning, if all is well, I'm sure everyone will swarm to the site ASAP.

Correct, we have a several staff members going out tomorrow morning to see what the condition is like. We will keep you updated as soon as we have more information.

As the condition of the ship is unknown at the moment, you can understand that for precaution it is closed for diving. As soon as we have more information we can determine when it can be opened for diving again.

Personally, I think this is another great chapter that is being written in the already great history of this ship!

And thanks for putting the pictures online Jason!

And they closed the dive site? Why?

Plenty of reasons. Nobody knows how stable it is or isnt - it might not have settled. There could be damage internally, walls and/or ceilings collapsed, blockages and debris, sharp bits of metal.
The other practical problem may well be there are no mooring balls on or near it (sand chute the exception).
Its a tourist attraction - from a risk assessment point of view it makes perfect sense to close the attraction until it can be properly evaluated and if needed, brought back up to spec.
This isn't a "natural" wreck put down by war or weather. Its a sterilised tourist attraction put down for that reason by a government body so the standards are different.

The USA did the same when the Spiegal Grove got tipped and moved.

No surprise here. The wreck has moved a number of times despite the anchoring. It will eventually fall apart, be torn apart or thrown deeper towards the wall.

PS thanks for the pics

Last edited:
What in your mind makes you call the Kittiwake an oversized reef ball?

See below...that's why it's an oversized reefball.

Nobody knows how stable it is or isnt - it might not have settled. There could be damage internally, walls and/or ceilings collapsed, blockages and debris, sharp bits of metal.
The other practical problem may well be there are no mooring balls on or near it (sand chute the exception).
Its a tourist attraction - from a risk assessment point of view it makes perfect sense to close the attraction until it can be properly evaluated and if needed, brought back up to spec.
This isn't a "natural" wreck put down by war or weather. Its a sterilised tourist attraction put down for that reason by a government body so the standards are different.

FWIW, although it is a tourist attraction, it is first and foremost an artificial reef. It will eventually be nothing more than a rubble pile...will the not allow people to dive it when that happens?

Sounds like it WAS a "curated diving site" and it now IS A SHIPWRECK.

Dive agencies don't allow certified divers to dive on shipwrecks. That's only for big boys, diving on their own, and doing nasty things like taking souvenirs.

Sounds like it WAS a "curated diving site" and it now IS A SHIPWRECK.

Dive agencies don't allow certified divers to dive on shipwrecks. That's only for big boys, diving on their own, and doing nasty things like taking souvenirs.

My sarcasm meter may be broken.

Are you serious?

See below...that's why it's an oversized reefball.
Sorry, I still don't get your point. So just because it was intentionally sunk, versus accidentally, makes it an oversized reef ball to youl? It's far more complex than a reefball and is an impressive ship with interesting, relevant history sitting on the bottom of the sea and makes for an interesting, fun dive site. I guess some don't like wrecks that are less likely to kill them...

Last edited:
Sorry, I still don't get your point. So just because it was intentionally sunk, versus accidentally, makes it an oversized reef ball to youl? It's far more complex than a reefball and is an impressive ship with interesepting relevant history sitting on the bottom of the sea and makes for an interesting, fun dive site. I guess some don't like wrecks that are less likely to kill them...

The point is, that it's a purposely sterilized wreck. Every wreck changes over time. Some get toppled, all eventually collapse, and they ALL no matter the condition are unstable. The fact that it's on its side, or unsettled, or structurally compromised does nothing to make it undiveable.

Quite honestly, if they were really concerned about diver safety, they would stop encouraging non overhead trained divers to penetrate it...even though it's a Sterile wreck. I've been in plenty of artificial reef type wrecks...most are no place for a neophyte diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom