Tank Tumbling Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is great... I'm looking into building a tumbler... any one have a parts list they would be will to trade? Seen someone use a garage door opener, but like the trendmill... might have to keep an eye out in craigslist.

What would be a good slow motor if one isn't able to find a cheap/free trendmill?

This is great... I'm looking into building a tumbler... any one have a parts list they would be will to trade? Seen someone use a garage door opener, but like the trendmill... might have to keep an eye out in craigslist.

What would be a good slow motor if one isn't able to find a cheap/free trendmill?

I have a homebuilt one that uses pulleys to drop a surplus washing machine motor's shaft speed from 1750 RPM to the speed needed to turn the tank at 60 RPM on the driven shaft of the tumbler. Motors don't come much cheaper than free if you can find a machine you can haul away for its owner. Pulleys and a belt will run you maybe $30.

I have a homebuilt one that uses pulleys to drop a surplus washing machine motor's shaft speed from 1750 RPM to the speed needed to turn the tank at 60 RPM on the driven shaft of the tumbler. Motors don't come much cheaper than free if you can find a machine you can haul away for its owner. Pulleys and a belt will run you maybe $30.

I was thinking of a clothes dryer--it already comes with a belt and pulley and the drum turns at about the right speed (more or less). I'm thinking it might be possible to simple install rollers inside of the dryer but it's only a thought that I haven't worked out yet.

I was thinking of a clothes dryer--it already comes with a belt and pulley and the drum turns at about the right speed (more or less). I'm thinking it might be possible to simple install rollers inside of the dryer but it's only a thought that I haven't worked out yet.

Now you've done it. I won't be able to get the imaginary noise of tanks (for most dryers they'd have to be pony bottles) banging around inside a dryer for days. Sort of like sneakers, or tennis balls with a jacket or sleeping bag, but much, much louder. Clank...clank...*clank*......*CLANK*...clank...clank...

I just had to share. ;-)

Now you've done it. I won't be able to get the imaginary noise of tanks (for most dryers they'd have to be pony bottles) banging around inside a dryer for days. Sort of like sneakers, or tennis balls with a jacket or sleeping bag, but much, much louder. Clank...clank...*clank*......*CLANK*...clank...clank...
I just had to share. ;-)

Hopefully there won't be any permanent psychological damage.

I once had a dryer that came with a sneaker rack. It was spring-loaded and attached to the back and front so the dryer drum just turned around it so there was no banging. Perhaps a rack something like that but consisting of two cylinders (piipes?) that it rests upon, one of which is driven by the drum turning. Of course the door will need to be left open and the safety switch bypassed...

Hopefully you will be able to sleep now :)

I am currently working on some of my tanks now. Have not decided yet as to the best way to dry tanks. Normally a tank dryer with a heat gun. Any specific recommendations as to the best method for drying to eliminate flash rust. ? thank you in advance

Last edited:
I am currently working on some of my tanks now. Have not decided yet as to the best way to dry tanks. Normally a tank dryer with a heat gun. Any specific recommendations as to the best method for drying to eliminate flash rust. ? thank you in advance

Use this to guarantee you won’t get flash rust. Mix the solution as directed, poor in about 1-2 pints, tumble 5 min, dump, and blow dry. It’s just that simple.

Oxygen Safe Rust Inhibitor - Gallon

best way i've found is to just blow HP air straight from a tank into the drying tank. I have a fill whip with a junk hose and shove it up to the bottom of the tank while it is inverted. From there I open the valve and slowly pull the hose out. Never had a problem with steel or aluminum tanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom