Lake Lanier: Diving Compendium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is it about Jocassee that brings you back week after week? Perhaps I need to make the trip from Atlanta to see.

How is your pontoon boat working out for diving? Have you made any modifications?......

Bobb:
Might be interested, my nephew and I dive lake Jocassee almost every weekend. I've got a 2003 24' pontoon boat...how far away is Lanier? let me know.
Bob

The pontoon is kind of on the back burner right now. I've a 15.583 year old daughter who will be turning 16 in January. Right now the emphasis is on getter her the VW Beetle that she wants.

Would love to dive Jocassee with you. I've never dived the lake.

Guys, just found this thread. I and possibly a buddy of mine would be glad to join in. I live in Athens and he's in Atlanta. I have a small (16') bass boat that I can use to get myself out there if need be. I'm up for drysuit diving so email me and lets get this show on the road if it isn't already.
jamie@athenshomesolutions.com

Thought I would tack onto this thread, even though I already PM'd Dennis about this. I would like to also help out and dive lanier as much as possible. I dove Lanier the past weekend 11-14-04 to help a LDS certify a student. Did a few shore does varying in depths of 30-45'. Vis was pretty decent about 15' and much better than I expected. Water temp was 62 F at 45' and I was comfy in a 5/3 wetsuit with a 3mm beanie, 5mm boots, 3 mil gloves. It was a tad bit chilly (50 degrees Air Temp with a raging wind) during those SI's, but not bad with sweats, cars, blankets, etc. :) I have a regular 5mm on order and am looking at a pinnacle polar 7mm with hood. I have read good things about those suits with people diving in the low 40's with no issues.

I am also looking for any buddies that would want to dive lanier as well. Have all my own gear including tanks and would be willing to dive most weekends. I also have been looking into Lake Jocassee, sounds like a nice place to dive. Maybe all of us that wanted to dive Jocassee could take a group trip. Even if we need to charter a boat it's dirt cheap, and I saw there were spots to shore dive it. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Matt

I'm new in town and the country. Learned to dive in a lake worst than lanier, cold, dark and low vis. I'm looking for something like that here. We did some dives in Germany to find new attractions.
Unfortunately I do not have time every weekend, but once a month I would like to dive.
Perhaps you can give me a few information what place would be good to dive in lake lanier, so that I can dive this lake and perhaps joining your team.
Are you planning to make your information public?
mail me michaelmeyer98@hotmail.com

cu

Just got the 7mm suit and now I can do the colder water! Talked to Clif for those who know him and volunteered for helping with the platform. I can dive weekdays also for those who would like to have company/buddy. Working on Rescue and should be through tommorrow so have Rescue and Nitrox and own equipment. Also working at a shop and learning Reg service.

Thanks...Hoss (cewarbin)

I'm still a new diver, but I'm interrested. I still need to rent tanks, but have the rest of the gear that I need (as long as I can stand the water in a 7mil FJ).

m7scuba:
I'm still a new diver, but I'm interrested. I still need to rent tanks, but have the rest of the gear that I need (as long as I can stand the water in a 7mil FJ).
You are more than welcome to come on out. You can stay about the thermocline right now in a t-shirt and swimming trunks and be warm and see plenty of fish. If you want to go out deeper to the forest you will definately need the 7 mil. Right now most of the diving I've been doing in Lanier is shallow. Lets me work on bouyancy, and lets me stay warm in a 5 mil. There is a shop right down the road from WBP (Adventures in Diving in Cumming). You could definately rent tanks right there, or just rent and carry up that way. Look forward to diving with you in the future, I'm hoping to get out there sometime next week during the mid-week (after work dive).

Matt

I think I am moving down your way soon and have to meet some folks to dive with. I will keep a boat on the lake too. What's the scoop?

No Fish:
I think I am moving down your way soon and have to meet some folks to dive with. I will keep a boat on the lake too. What's the scoop?
Look forward to meeting you when you move down here. Not alot to see down there but trees, fishing line, and lots of fish, but it's still a nice place to dive. It's always in the 40's on the bottom, but in the summer it warms up into the mid 80's above the thermocline. During the summer the viz is in the 10-15' range tops (sometimes worse) as people are out swimming, boating, churning up the lake. During the winter we sometimes get 30-35'. Look forward to meeting you. Drop us a line once you are down this way in the deep dixie divers forum and we'll come on out for a dive or two. There are lots of shore diving oppurtunities all over the lake as well. I sometimes dive lanier twice a week, and it is always quite fun.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom