Liveaboard tipping, what is the local custom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still, if you only have 2 weeks of holidays and it takes 3 days to fly in and out... It's a dedication for Americans to go on a dive holiday in Asia and not go twice for a week closer to home...

But indeed, Chinese speaking customers are growing in numbers. On LOB and dive resorts... My Chinese friend is more and more called up to go and guide on LOBs because they are Chinese only. Also, we had 5 Chinese instructors when I left. And they had lots of work... Hard work as Chinese aren't good swimmers too :D

Yes, although the LOB market is more at the older end of the spectrum, so people in general have more holidays that the two weeks. But the holiday situation SUCKS in the US, you are absolutely right!

Personally I switched jobs a lot so I travelled internationally quite a bit relative to my fellow Americans. Now I'm retired so I can do what I like -- meaning whatever this old bag o' bones can handle.

- Bill

Hi Wildbill9,
My husband and I went on the Blue Manta last spring and thought the diving operation was excellent. Great briefings and great dive masters. However, we were surprised by the tipping lecture we got at the end of the trip--how tacky, considering the expense of that liveaboard. They even wanted us to put our names on the envelopes! It really was a turnoff. Made me wonder what the staff were getting paid. The year prior we were on the Black Manta (when it was owned by Vincent Chew as well) and we received no tipping lecture--it was much more casual. Interesting, given that the cost of the Black Manta was much less. Anyway, we really enjoyed our BM trip overall--we just have chosen to forget that end of trip squeeze!

Hi Wildbill9,
My husband and I went on the Blue Manta last spring and thought the diving operation was excellent. Great briefings and great dive masters. However, we were surprised by the tipping lecture we got at the end of the trip--how tacky, considering the expense of that liveaboard. They even wanted us to put our names on the envelopes! It really was a turnoff. Made me wonder what the staff were getting paid. The year prior we were on the Black Manta (when it was owned by Vincent Chew as well) and we received no tipping lecture--it was much more casual. Interesting, given that the cost of the Black Manta was much less. Anyway, we really enjoyed our BM trip overall--we just have chosen to forget that end of trip squeeze!

It was a Black Manta trip on which I received the tipping lecture I mentioned upthread. That was several years ago, so maybe they dropped it.

I would love to hear more about your experience! It is our 1st liveaboard and 1st trip to Indonesia. As for the tipping lecture I am sure I can tune them out :). Tanks!!!

I had already decided before the trip that I would tip 10%, which was also suggested on their web site. (The tipping lecture was apparently in case one hadn't read it on the web site.) I brought it all in rupiah--a big wad. I based the 10% and decision to use rupiah on stuff I had read from a cursory search on SB. This thread, especially thanks to the participation of people who live in Indonesia, has shed some additional light on the issue. I honestly am not sure what I would do today if I were going on another Indo liveaboard, which sadly I am not.

Enjoy your trip!

Back
Top Bottom