plastic backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With that single camband slot, you'll probably need this wing

I keep thinking how much it'd cost to 3D-print one. Some of the filaments sound like they might be tough enough.

1kg of ABS should be around 70-100$. Depending if you have the printer handy, it's doable to print a backplate.
It is however most likely not going to be functional. Typical methods of printing use a filament that they will place on the printing bed and build the object layer after layer. This makes them very brittle. Now you could use other methods, eg SLS (or SLA), but then your price shoots through the roof.

I'll just clarify my response about "sidemount", because some didn't understand it. Many sidemount rigs have no inherent weight (no metal plates), and if you scrap the d-rings as well, there's just bare webbing left.

The Oxy ultralight, Mares XR and Apeks ultralight are all soft backplates and similar. I dive the Oxy, but like the additional attachment points of the Mares and Apeks. The Oxy and Mares are close in price around $50. Haven't seen the Apeks for less than $85. Has it recently dropped in price ?

I was inspired by this project using the Oxy ultralight and the DSS Tropical wing. In fact here's the video that Ronscuba posted many years back:

...so I went out and purchased the Mares XR to use with my DSS Torus 26. The tank bands fit through the openings pretty well (a little tight), but none of the grommets line up at all.

Since it's the tank bands that really hold the wing in place anyway (on a DSS wing, no STA), not the thumbscrews or rubber fasteners, would anyone see any problem with not having the wing actually attached to the backplate? It's not like the rubber fasteners were ever load-bearing in the first place.

see any problem with not having the wing actually attached to the backplate?

It's not a problem. Just annoying when you're changing tanks.

Might be a stupid question but how is possible you be overweighted with just a aluminum backplate? Is that normal without a wetsuit? ( I never dived in warm water like that :( )

Might be a stupid question but how is possible you be overweighted with just a aluminum backplate? Is that normal without a wetsuit? ( I never dived in warm water like that :( )

It's highly unlikely: with a very heavy tank, no body fat, and a few steel joints I guess it might be doable in fresh water. Al plate and the webbing are normally about neutral, so all the weight is in the tank. Plus the body composition -- like Wolverine with densonium bone grafts or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom