Etiquette on carrying a knife during dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharks react to injury just as we do usually. I was spearfishing and had been on the bottom for about 10 minutes and hadn't shot anything when I had an encounter with a psycho bull shark. I used my 5.56mm powerhead on him and he swam off, but he came back for more less than 30 seconds later, I didn't have more ammo and even if I did, I didn't have time to reload, so I shot him through the gills with a shaft and cut my line. I'm looking for an old Seaway Bangstick. I was not impressed with the 5.56 and neither was Mr. Gray. If you watch the video you can see that the sharks didn't go after the tuna. The diver stabbed both sharks in the head. I carry a BFK, to be prepared for any eventuality. I saw total chaos, and a diver who kept his wits. Kept fighting and came out without injury. The great white shark has a brain the size of an orange. They are eating machines, so are bull sharks, they are also unpredictable. I remember when it was rare to see a shark and they kept their distance. Not anymore, we have had a lot of shark attacks around here on swimmers, surfers and divers this past year. my preference for shark defence is Bangstick, spear shaft, and knife as a last resort. I have had to poke 20+ sharks with my spear gun, I banged a bull in the Gulf 30 years ago, and one here last year. I give them a poke and that is usually enough, but it turns ugly in an instant.

Here is an attack that happen not long ago.

And this one with a great white.

I'll keep my BFK, thank you.

Sharks react to injury just as we do usually. I was spearfishing and had been on the bottom for about 10 minutes and hadn't shot anything when I had an encounter with a psycho bull shark. I used my 5.56mm powerhead on him and he swam off, but he came back for more less than 30 seconds later, I didn't have more ammo and even if I did, I didn't have time to reload, so I shot him through the gills with a shaft and cut my line. I'm looking for an old Seaway Bangstick. I was not impressed with the 5.56 and neither was Mr. Gray. If you watch the video you can see that the sharks didn't go after the tuna. The diver stabbed both sharks in the head. I carry a BFK, to be prepared for any eventuality. I saw total chaos, and a diver who kept his wits. Kept fighting and came out without injury. The great white shark has a brain the size of an orange. They are eating machines, so are bull sharks, they are also unpredictable. I remember when it was rare to see a shark and they kept their distance. Not anymore, we have had a lot of shark attacks around here on swimmers, surfers and divers this past year. my preference for shark defence is Bangstick, spear shaft, and knife as a last resort. I have had to poke 20+ sharks with my spear gun, I banged a bull in the Gulf 30 years ago, and one here last year. I give them a poke and that is usually enough, but it turns ugly in an instant.

Here is an attack that happen not long ago.

And this one with a great white.

I'll keep my BFK, thank you.

Now how am I supposed to sleep after the music on the second one!

Man, am I glad you were on scuba and not freediving for that one.

I have only ever had one close encounter with a shark whilst diving, it was only about 15 inch long and very curious. It was strange to touch, its skin was very smooth in one direction and very rough when stroked backward.
There are other things in sea far more likely to cause injury than a shark. I was sailing in a small dingy with my wife. she got knocked out of the boat by the boom swinging round and she could not get back in, we were drifting onto rocks so I got out to prevent damage to the boat. I had no shoes on and trod on a sea urchin, very painful for several days.
Fishing on Gran Canaria I handled a small very colourful fish whilst removing it from the hook. In combination with sunlight / UV radiation something in the fish caused an extreme allergic reaction and I had to be sedated. This exposure caused a lasting sensitivity and I have had two milder attacks since. I now have to take Piriton as a precaution when exposing myself to a combination of bright sunlight and seawater. This type of allergy / sensitisation is not that uncommon, some people can get it from shellfish, prawns and some seaweed / sea plants or more likely organisms on them.

Back
Top Bottom