Double 117 hp steel won't trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dustin karkowski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi

I have Faber steel 117hps twinned. Have a Hollis 60 pound wing and backplate. I wear heavy fins an 4 pounds ankle weights. No other lead and the tanks are set low on the wing. I Still sink swim head down very hard to stay parallel

Are you in a drysuit or 7mm? Is your backplate ss or alum?

Last edited:
pictures tell stories...

Try switching the ankle weights for a tail v-weight. Sorted the issue for me.

You could either adjust the position of the backplate or move the bands...either way you need to shift your CG aft.

Post some pictures of you rig...both by itself and with you wearing it. Bonus points if you can get some in water pics

Drysuit SS back plate

Pic 2 is to show I have the plate high as I can shifted to drop the tanks. Should I be able to move my bands a little higher on the tanks? They are spaced 11 in apart an both show 2 holes open above in plate. I did get better trim when I put 10 pounds of lead in my weight pockets on my harness belt but took my wing (60 lift) all it had to float me. I'm 6' 230

Attachments

• IMG_20170924_115755177.jpg
    IMG_20170924_115755177.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20170924_115835641.jpg
    IMG_20170924_115835641.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20170924_115934632.jpg
    IMG_20170924_115934632.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 169
It looks like you've got another inch or so of space above the top of the band. Try moving your bands up so the top band just meets the crown of tanks. Sometimes those small changes can make a big difference.

I recently started diving doubles earlier this year and only have about 25 dives in them, so take the below info for whatever it's worth.

A huge part of doubles diving for me, so far, has been figuring the setup out - I feel like I'm mostly sorted out but still learning. I have Worthington X7100s which are about the same height as your tanks. However, the Fabers get a couple of pounds lighter as they empty and seem to be more butt light as well. I'm 5'11" and multiple people told me that I would have trouble trimming out in these tanks as they're "too short".

- As suggested above, use a tail weight on the lower bolt instead of ankle weights. You can also try the DSS extra long tail weight pouch instead of a V weight to get the weight even lower.
- You could move your bands up a little bit. The spacing obviously remains the same - 11" is standard.
- I use a DSS Kydex plate which has the same buoyancy as an AL plate. This takes 5lb off your upper back and allows you to move it lower. I don't think I would have been able to trim my doubles correctly with a steel plate. Honestly, I think this is the main reason for your head down trim.
- Loosen your shoulder straps and tighten your crotch strap. I try to keep the tanks as low as possible while still being able to reach my valves and perform a valve drill.
- Ideally, you're not adding extra weight to trim correctly. With doubles, that may cause you to be dangerously overweighted.

Make small changes and only one at a time. You'll be surprised at how much difference they make individually. For reference, my current setup is 2x Worthington X7100, Kydex backplate, 5lb tailweight, 2.5lb long bullet weight on my belt.

Hope this helps.

10lbs of lead? With steel doubles? Doesn't seem right to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom