Oceanic Atom 3.1 - Outdated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I bought my Aeris Atmos AI computer 7 years ago and for the last few years, have been wishing it was a wrist computer with a transmitter. I like that it's easy to read with a battery that lasts a long time. I also like to download and keep my data electronically. I sometimes dive nitrox, but will not be doing any tech diving. I would like an Oceanic computer because my backup computer is also Aeris.

In looking for a new computer, the best fit seems to be the Atom 3.1. However, it seems like this computer has been out for years.

Does it make sense to try to wait out a update?

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Aqualung sells the "updated" model for almost twice the price, I'd say buy the oceanic version while they're selling out the last of 'em.

i450. Aqualung recently bought pelagic pressure systems from AUP (oceanic/aeris) so I belive their "new" computer line is essentially the oceanics with a fresh coat of paint. ICBW and all that.

There is nothing outdated about the Atom.

I would not buy the Aqualung version of it for one reason: The Atom supports the DSAT algorithm and the PelagicZ+ algorithm. The AL version does not support the DSAT algorithm - only what they call PZ+, which I believe is directly equivalent to the Atom's PelagicZ+.

I have an Atom and prefer the longer NDL times given by the DSAT algorithm. You may not. But, buying an Atom means you have a choice on which algorithm to use. Buying the Aqualung version means you don't have the choice and can only use the more conservative PZ+ algorithm.

I think the Atom 3.1 is a fine dive computer. I have a family member that uses the old 2.0 version and another that uses a GEO and I have an Atom as a backup. Bear in mind though, the computer is discontinued and from what I have seen recently, it would not surprise me to see Huish/Oceanic may stop servicing or selling parts for these in the not-to-distant future. That would not stop me from getting one, but if long term repair or parts support is important, I would look elsewhere. O rings are available on ebay, and the transmitter is used by several companies and will continue, so those are not an issue.

If looking for this kind of computer, you might want to see if you can find the recently discontinued Tusa IQ950. It is the same computer (but only with the PZ type algorithm and recently they cold be found for about $500 with transmitter.

There is a "newer" version of the Atom 3.1, the OCi. It is more expensive. I prefer the twist off battery back of the Atom over the 4 screw cover of the OCi

Back
Top Bottom