OTS Spectrum reviews ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question that I may have missed when reading about the OTS Spectrum. Does it have an ABV or is one available?

Is there an accessory to mount a light to the mask (similar to the Guardian & AGA), or one in the works?
Hi ScubaPro67,

Apologies for the late response. I have been out traveling for work the last couple weeks.

We are working on developing a rail system for the Spectrum FFM, which will be used for lights. The one we're working on will allow a light to be attached and have the capability to be articulated up and down on the fly.

It will be somewhat like the one for the Guardian / AGA, however we are attempting to make this much more affordable to our end users.

Hunter911 is correct. I've been letting everyone know it will be a year or so out for those due to the high number of jobs / other products being worked on.

Edit : We are also working on an ABV as well, which will be mounted where the blanking port plug is now for the "Inner Frame". This is opposite the side of the Push-To-Talk button side.

I will post an update when I have more info!

Glad to hear the positive reviews of the Spectrum FFM -- we really like the new mask and were hopeful others would too.

Cheers.

Hi ScubaPro67,

Apologies for the late response. I have been out traveling for work the last couple weeks.

We are working on developing a rail system for the Spectrum FFM, which will be used for lights. The one we're working on will allow a light to be attached and have the capability to be articulated up and down on the fly.

It will be somewhat like the one for the Guardian / AGA, however we are attempting to make this much more affordable to our end users.

Hunter911 is correct. I've been letting everyone know it will be a year or so out for those due to the high number of jobs / other products being worked on.

Edit : We are also working on an ABV as well, which will be mounted where the blanking port plug is now for the "Inner Frame". This is opposite the side of the Push-To-Talk button side.

I will post an update when I have more info!

Glad to hear the positive reviews of the Spectrum FFM -- we really like the new mask and were hopeful others would too.

Cheers.

Will the ABV be able to be retrofitted to the Spectrum if already purchased, or is this only an option that will be added to new masks?

Will the ABV be able to be retrofitted to the Spectrum if already purchased, or is this only an option that will be added to new masks?
Hi Kylergoehle,

Any Spectrum FFM will have the capability to add the ABV to the mask.

None... you're breathing in the hyper dry air from your tank. It dries everything out nicely. We'll see how she does when I'm on a loop.

I don’t think my air was “hyper wet”, but on my my one dive with the Spectrum to date I had substantial fogging. I don’t see where there are any vents that cause the air to flow against the glass. I think the air remains in the oral cavity. I don’t see where OTS is making a “No Fogging” claim with the Spectrum when describing the best features.

The mask is incredibly comfortable, but is also has a “mushy” feel. Turning your head can cause the second stage to bend the mask shape because the material is so soft. I think the Guardian has a more “solid” feel to it. Hard to describe. I will dive again next week and see if I can solve the fogging issue and better describe the feel with the Spectrum.

I love my Spectrum but it fogs just as bad as any mask if you don't do your normal "anti-fog" routine. There are small holes to allow water to drain from the eye area to the mouth/nose pocket but doesn't really pass air through. There would be way too much dead space otherwise and you would re-breathe a bunch of CO2.

As far as the "mushy" feeling, was the inner frame installed on the bottom? It needs to be there to give the mask a solid structure. The reg should move hardly at all.

I love my Spectrum but it fogs just as bad as any mask if you don't do your normal "anti-fog" routine. There are small holes to allow water to drain from the eye area to the mouth/nose pocket but doesn't really pass air through. There would be way too much dead space otherwise and you would re-breathe a bunch of CO2.

As far as the "mushy" feeling, was the inner frame installed on the bottom? It needs to be there to give the mask a solid structure. The reg should move hardly at all.

The inner frame was installed. The reg does not move in the mask, but it tends to bend the mask out side the frame area. The image below illustrates it a bit. See how the Second stage is not straight because of the hose pulling that side in, causing the opposite side to push away from the mask? The regulator is not moving, but the mask is allowing that movement causing the regulator to “skew”. I don’t see or feel that with the Guardian.

2B4D8C9A-AA6A-4B31-8192-97694E4D6B10.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom