How Often Do You Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still dive my U.S. Divers Monitor 1 from 1992. Works fine, and seems slightly more conservative than modern offerings, which suits me fine.

I don't think he is getting the response's he was hoping to see... How is he going to show this thread to his wife and get a New computer..

Jim..

Hey Jim. She's actually ok with it. I'M the cheap bastard.:thumb:

Thanks everyone for their input. I guess bottom line...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I upgraded once, 7-8 years ago, when I decided that a console based PC was not for me and I bought a wrist unit to replace it. It's likely I'll keep the wrist PC until it breaks or otherwise fails to function.

For me it seems that I replace my computer when the previous one becomes "obsolete" or service/ repairing it costs way too much.
Had a UEMIS SDA - company went "belly-up" while I was on a dive trip - repairs cost me >$75 in shipping/ duties plus the huge pain in the butt of sending something to Switzerland. It was a great computer btw - well ahead of it's time - and I sold it to a diver in Oz who I'm sure is still using it. My biggest frustration is that when the original company went bankrupt I lost my entire dive log as they were the first to have a (primitive) cloud - with no backup :(
Replaced the UEMIS with a Liquivision Lynx. Has been shipped back and forth to Canada ($50+ each time) for "issues". Again, losing my dive-log. (Yeah a pattern of my being lazy in uploading/ keeping a paper record.) Still using it, but seriously planning to replace it with a modern (hopefully USA based service center) computer in late 2017 or 2018.

Only upgraded when I started using deco bottles with enriched Air, so that I could change gas under water. When it comes to upgrading due to change in algorithms, :dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom