Interested in some Public Safety training, but have a concern

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Birddog1911

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since I've gotten into the VA dive program at my LDS, I've thought that I would really like to look at the possibility of being a Public Safety Diver. I'd be interested in learning what sort of training is out there.

However, here is my concern. Five years ago, I pretty well destroyed my left foot and ankle. I've had 4 surgeries, and when not diving, I wear a high tech custom orthosis. I'm able to walk for short distances without the brace (can't wear when diving), and once I'm in the water, no problem. But, I'll never be able to pass a fitness test for an agency that would require one. It's a safe bet that I'll never run again.

So, wondering what sort of options are out there for me. Just as a volunteer, or is it possible that I might be able to be a member of some sort of group, without needing a fitness test?

Thanks, and look forward to whatever folks can offer.

I went to PSD Class with a guy who had both legs crushed below the knee by a Humvee in Iraq. He could barely walk, and he successfully completed the class.

Nobody on the internet is going to be able to give you any kind of reasonable advice on what you can/cant do. What you need to do is talk to someone on a PSD team you would be interested in joining. Their instructor is going to need to evaluate you and your capabilities.

FWIW, there are many dives I don't even use fins for. PSD diving is very different than recreational (except, of course, the laws of physics). A lot is going to depend on the specific environments you are going to be working in.

Thanks, Reef, for the info.

But, I'll never be able to pass a fitness test for an agency that would require one. It's a safe bet that I'll never run again.
Many dive teams use the IARDS Watermanship Test.
https://www.diverescueintl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/IADRS-Watermanship-Test-2011.pdf

It includes 15 minutes of drownproofing (treading, survival float, etc.) with hands out of water last 2 minutes.
500 yd swim using a forward stroke
800 yd mask/fins/snorkel swim
100 yd rescue tow of fully geared up buddy
Free dive and retrieve object at 9+ ft.

Many dive teams use the IARDS Watermanship Test.
https://www.diverescueintl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/IADRS-Watermanship-Test-2011.pdf

It includes 15 minutes of drownproofing (treading, survival float, etc.) with hands out of water last 2 minutes.
500 yd swim using a forward stroke
800 yd mask/fins/snorkel swim
100 yd rescue tow of fully geared up buddy
Free dive and retrieve object at 9+ ft.

Thanks for the info. Thankfully, I can do all of that, except perhaps the 500 yd swim w/forward stroke. I'll have to work on that. I'm just not a good lap swimmer. But I've already done the rest for Divemaster.

Our team uses the IADRS Watermanship Test along with the IADRS Skills Eval.
http://iadrs.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/skills_eval.pdf
You may want to look for a volunteer team in your area and find out what their guidelines are for membership. Most public safety divers are affiliated with a fire, police, or EMS agency and members are covered by those agencies when on team activities. As an example, our team is a joint public safety team with members from the police, fire, and EMS departments in our town. We unfortunately do not accept anyone not affiliated with either agency or the police department. We have memorandums of understanding with the departments for each member which are updated annually.

Two comments Birddog. As Resqdivemedic mentioned, divers typically need to be a member of a department. However, the prerequisite to be a member of a department varies. Some departments have opted to take certified divers on as volunteers without FF1, EMT or LE. Also, some departments don't allow their members to be a member of a dive team. Once on the team you would receive PSD training through ERDI or another agency as well as local team procedures. Be prepared to serve some time as a tender before moving into diving. I have not experienced many long walks as a PSD. At least on my team there are vehicles and tenders that help get divers to the entry point. It sounds like you have the watermanship skills. PSD normally requires a HAZMAT dry suit. It may be possible to have the suit tailored to accommodate the orthotic for your foo/ankle. I hope you find your way onto a team.

Appreciate all of the info, @73diver .

Our course director has been able to give me some info, as well. I'm going to try and volunteer with the county to the south, and work on certifications in the coming year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom