Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And did you (guys) see your diving time extend over time with the same amount of gas? Is 25 dives enough to have reached your maximum or is this something that improves after 50-100dives?

I had a big drop in consumption around the dive #100. Went from 21-24 lpm (at 1 ATA) to around 16-17 lpm. Still there at dive #200.

Can you tell a little bit about your SAC? How long did you last with a 10L/11L tank when you started diving? And did you (guys) see your diving time extend over time with the same amount of gas? Is 25 dives enough to have reached your maximum or is this something that improves after 50-100dives? Some friends of mine dives around 90m with a 12L tank. (start 200bar, end 50bar)
To be honest, I wouldn't know how much I use even now. I use ~15l/min as base, I typically do it "on the fly" as most of my dives are pretty straightforward dives with sometimes (very) heavy work, so I'll just watch the spg every 5 minutes and go from there (I'm pretty good at approximate maths :p ).

I didn't see a huge difference between dry and wet personally. But maybe there is.

When I started, I used to do around 50-60 minutes on an s80 as well, but they were shallow, sometimes the tank was overfilled. Sometimes you blow your tank in 30 minutes and feel dumb, then next dive it's your buddy which does that.

SAC will depend on how comfortable you are, but on so many other things aside from techniques (trim, propulsion), your state (mental and physical), the dive conditions (vis, temperature, current). So it might be your "end point" after 10 dives if you've been taught properly, it might get there after your 300th dive if you've been in a serious case of bad instruction and inbreeding before you get to see someone that actually dives and not just jumps in the water.

TL,DR; I don't know much about it, and I don't think people should care too much about it unless it really seems off (ie you reach turn pressure where the others still have full tanks)

Answered by Patoux01.
Not really. I have one drysuit, and one undersuit. That combo works great in spring, summer and fall. Water temp from 15C to 7-8C. Below that, I layer with wool. Above 15C water/20C air... well, i don't experience that kind of conditions unless I'm on vacation abroad. And then I'm in a rental WS.

Not really. I have one drysuit, and one undersuit. That combo works great in spring, summer and fall. Water temp from 15C to 7-8C. Below that, I layer with wool. Above 15C water/20C air... well, i don't experience that kind of conditions unless I'm on vacation abroad. And then I'm in a rental WS.
ok.:(

. Above 15C water/20C air... well, i don't experience that kind of conditions unless I'm on vacation abroad. And then I'm in a rental WS.

Well, yeah, exactly, except some use drysuits up to 25°C water, if not more. And what if you were to dive with lots of gas, no buoyancy redundancy?

Well, yeah, exactly, except some use drysuits up to 25°C water, if not more. And what if you were to dive with lots of gas, no buoyancy redundancy?

I don't really get what you're saying but I think the most divers dive with a wetsuit, what's the problem with that?

I don't like deep diving with multiple tanks with no redundancy in terms of buoyancy, that's all. I also don't like diving deep in a thick-ish wetsuit (anything > 5mm).
And eventually, when dives start getting long, you can get cold in warm water.

In an ideal condition(warm water, no current, shallow and paying close attention to my breathing pattern etc etc) I can get my ave SAC to 6L/min, otherwise it is around 10L/min.
BTW, don't compare your own SAC with others, we are all individual.

I don't like deep diving with multiple tanks with no redundancy in terms of buoyancy, that's all. I also don't like diving deep in a thick-ish wetsuit (anything > 5mm).
And eventually, when dives start getting long, you can get cold in warm water.

Yeah, I understand it. Didn't get at first what you meant with lots of gas...

Well, yeah, exactly, except some use drysuits up to 25°C water, if not more.
To each their own. I'm hot enough on the surface even when it's 20-25C in the air. And I'm fine for a couple of splashes a day in a decent 5mm if the water is 19-20C or so.

And what if you were to dive with lots of gas, no buoyancy redundancy?
I'm a single tank rec diver, so that question is rather moot for me.

IMO we're both right, but we seem to live in slightly different worlds. So, what's right for me isn't necessarily right for you and vice versa. If you (general 'you') live and dive in cold water country, getting a drysuit is a no-brainer. But a single drysuit and a few different undergarments that can be layered will be enough for the majority of those divers. You (specific 'you') obviously aren't part of that majority, since you're talking about multiple tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom