Backplate and Wing Round Table

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problelm with that wing is the internal bladder is from their large wing. They stuff it inside a small shell and the result is air trapping due to the bladder folding.

I like Deep Sea Supply wings. Their bladders are sized to match the outer shell.

The problelm with that wing is the internal bladder is from their large wing. They stuff it inside a small shell and the result is air trapping due to the bladder folding.

I like Deep Sea Supply wings. Their bladders are sized to match the outer shell.

I notice the inflator hose is centered at the top on the DSS wings, too.

I notice the inflator hose is centered at the top on the DSS wings, too.
Some people do not like Dss wings because of the hose position. Also the Dss wing will not allow different mounting positions on the plate.

Neither of these bother me.

Ease of venting is improved by: Good bladder fit, and a choice of bladder material that limits puckers, wing shapes that limit tank wrap. The tank is the hotdog and the wing is the bun. The greater the tank wrap the more a diver has to break trim to vent. DSS single wings all have 3" wide center panels, and in general long narrow profiles. These limit the height of the bubble in the wing relative to the centerline of the tank.

Tobin

The dump valve located on the bottom left of the wing was not always a reliable way to get air our either. Feedback welcome. Thanks.

You could also use top dump valve - just pull the inflator hose, there's a string inside.

I used to dive a 7mm full semidry in Egypt with 7kg of lead. To be honest I haven't dived in Sydney (or Australia yet) in the 13 years I've lived here but the setup would be the same I assume. That's with dive boat Alu tanks.

I dropped down to 4kg with a very light (3mm) shorty suit this recent trip as I didn't take my wetsuit but I had all my other gear.

I'm picking up a drysuit today so I'll have to revisit my buoyancy anyway (4mm compressed neoprene).

I dive in Sydney in a 5mm wetsuit and Light Monkey stainless steel backplate and wing. I wear 6lb of weight on my cam bands and no belt. Diving tropical (Thailand, Bali etc) i wear a 3mm wetsuit and no weight. Yes I lug my ss backplate and it hasn't been an issue, but I haven't had to get on a little plane with it yet. I'd sacrifice clothes and shampoo first though!

I took my new BP/W (Hog Aluminum plate & Hog 23 pound wing) out to the pool last night to do a refresher dive prior to my trip on the Aquacat next month. It was the first time I dove with the BP/W and I had a few observations. First, compared to my previous (travel) BCD, a Cressi Air Travel, I was able to drop about 4-5 pounds of lead. (I know that the total amount of lead I will need will be higher in salt water than in the pool, but the 4 pounds less (the "delta") should be fairly consistent.) Second, I will admit that I was skeptical, but once in the water, I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it really was. Third, since this was my first time in the water with it, it took a little while before I found the ideal spot to hook things like my dive computer (hose mounted) and my octo to, but it did become apparent that getting a good location for these will be a matter of fine tuning rather than changing.

Overall impressions, based on one refresher dive in the local pool are that I am happy I made the switch. Let's see if I still feel the same way after using it for a week on a live aboard.

Last edited:
I took my new BP/W (Hog Aluminum plate & Hog 23 pound wing) out to the pool last night to do a refresher dive prior to my trip on the Aquacat next month. It was the first time I dove with the BP/W and I had a few observations. First, compared to my previous (travel) BCD, a Cressi Air Travel, I was able to drop about 4-5 pounds of lead.

Regarding total ballast adjustments when moving from a jacket bc to a BP&W.

It's very common to see divers "lose" about 10 lbs from their belt. About 6 lbs is of course a result of a SS plate and harness, but the "other" 4 lbs related to the inherent buoyancy of the Jackscubaet BC (foam padding and hard to full vent) and or the diver becoming more aware of total weighting.

Your experience is consistent, but the aluminum plate changed the numbers a bit. The inherent buoyancy of a "full featured" generously padded BC can be 4-5 lbs.

Good luck. My prediction is you will keep tweeking your harness for the next 1/2 dozen dives before achieving BC "nirvana" :)

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom