Sailing Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I found this site (SB) during a search for on board marine BA tank compressors.

I'm looking for input on what you've found to be the best choice for refilling onboard a bluewater sailboat.

Refill speed is not an issue as I would likely have a rack of several tanks in reserve, so if it took a while to refill, perhaps the length of a dive, that wouldn't be a problem.
Should have a pressure shutoff so it can be operated unattended without the need to cool the tanks during the process.

Thanks,
Bubbles Up...
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Unless you really need to dive deep, the easiest way we found to dive while cruising was to use a good "Hookah" system. We spent over two years cruising all over the S. Pacific on our sailboat with a Hookah and used it almost daily while not actually sailing.

It takes very little space and runs for over an hour on a quart of gasoline. Our model supported two divers to about 60 feet. Depending on where you plan to cruise, you may not need wetsuits ,(or weight belts).

I'm looking for input on what you've found to be the best choice for refilling onboard a bluewater sailboat.

Refill speed is not an issue as I would likely have a rack of several tanks in reserve, so if it took a while to refill, perhaps the length of a dive, that wouldn't be a problem.
Should have a pressure shutoff so it can be operated unattended without the need to cool the tanks during the process.

Thanks,
Bubbles Up...
Bruce

Bruce.

Consider as a "Gold Standard" a marinized Rix 1S3B6 block, built to run at half speed or less mounted upside down on the ceiling roof support strut for space saving and ease of accessibility for self service and maintenance.

A ducted 6” air contitioning cooling shroud mounted to an external ventilation tunnel (fan assisted) for cooling air inlet from outside and a corresponding air intake hose 1” ID - 1.5” ID ported outside terminating in a heavy duty air intake filter 10 micron polyester (dessert chiller) in a rain spash guard polyester or plastic casing up high also outside.

Charging hose from the compressor to the cylinder storage rack can be located a up to 70 foot away using Synflex SAE 100R7 or R8 thermoplastic 5000 psi working pressure hose, with stainless JIC 4 ends and 1/4” bore.

Filtration is a separately mounted industry standard 33” long wall mounted filter tower set with a BPR 2000psi back pressure stainless repack cartridge with visual purity indicator. Molecular sieve only chemical needed for the filtration. The spare chemical bulk storage should be in 5 gallon steel drums or cans only and not in plastic bottles.

Power is limited by the generator size on the vessel and available power on board hence the variable speed, half speed or less from the Rix block also a hydraulic motor option could be a consideration.
Auto anything should be IMHO be avoided but the separators need to be sized for manual draining against the number of cylinders filled a time. A high pressure switch to shut off power being the only exception

Petrol diesel or gas driven small portable compressors are by contrast a quick fix but do a detailed study of the non 316 stainless parts used and the resultant short life expectancy in high humidity and a salt water environment to both the compressor block and the motor driver.
The exhaust however and resultant CO potential of using a petrol/gas or diesel engine is so far above my pay grade to consider building in that risk area on a yacht if an alternative power option can be found.

I tend to leave petrol to the “pleasure yachts” and those persuaded by the fancy colour brochures of scuba is fun and no danger for all. Although it is "do able" with additional modification and cost but CO is to my mind the biggest risk factor scuba breathing air, with refilling a petrol tank over a hot engine on a rolling deck offshore. a close second LOL.

Being able to service your compressor yourself on board on deck and with the minimum of special tools away from the main ports or a competent compressor service agent or scuba shop is also a consideration for using the Rix SA-1S3B6 block as its a fully self service compressor design.

The other being that the Rix is both oil-free and oil-less it is not affected by pitch and roll or prolonged heel angles when sailing and running the compressor at the same time.

By contrast conventional small oil lubricated scuba air compressors working in more than a 5 degree angle suffer from either oil starvation, (splash lube dipper in air) or oil flooding (hydraulic lock of lower piston) and running at a prolonged heel angle when sailing will most defiantly cause damage.
Low oil sumps, high RPM, high friction speed and lack of stainless components mixed with a steel
powder coated frame that rusts is not a marine build IMHO, To my mind these pumps are best kept under wraps and dragged out on deck when in port to be used annoying your fellow yachts at mooring. Iain

Reactions: Skb

Hello Bruce

Bert has covered hookahs, and Iain has alluded to most of the compressor options. Bear in mind that Iain is a dealer or distributor or something for Rix. I like the Rix machines, but there are other good choices also.

You could also look at the Bauer Oceanus, which is marinized and, like the RIx, will operate safely and reliably when tilted. They can be permanently installed or used as a portable machine, and can run off electric power or a small gasoline or diesel engine. Choice will be driven by the amount of electrical power you have available on board.

The filling operation really does have to be attended with these smaller machines, with water separators drained every 15 minutes, attention paid to pressures, and so on. Systems with automated drains, automated start and stop, storage bottles, and an output pressure regulator are larger and more costly than what you probably want. Figure 20 minutes per fill, ballpark, for a typical machine.

Hello Bruce

Bert has covered hookahs, and Iain has alluded to most of the compressor options. Bear in mind that Iain is a dealer or distributor or something for Rix. I like the Rix machines, but there are other good choices also.

You could also look at the Bauer Oceanus, which is marinized and, like the RIx, will operate safely and reliably when tilted. They can be permanently installed or used as a portable machine, and can run off electric power or a small gasoline or diesel engine. Choice will be driven by the amount of electrical power you have available on board.

The filling operation really does have to be attended with these smaller machines, with water separators drained every 15 minutes, attention paid to pressures, and so on. Systems with automated drains, automated start and stop, storage bottles, and an output pressure regulator are larger and more costly than what you probably want. Figure 20 minutes per fill, ballpark, for a typical machine.

On a pure technical note your statement that the Bauer Oceanus will operate safely and reliably when tilted (like the Rix) needs some clarification.
Bauer state what is known as an oblique tilt angle (up to 30 degrees) for the Oceanus that is it is a static tilt angle.

Although we could argue that oblique tilt angle shares some similarity to heel angle on a yacht this is not the same for a moving compressor platform where pitch and roll as well as heel angles also need consideration as to the dynamic and changing angles creating slop inside the crankcase oil bath and a well knows cause of premature crankcase bearing and lower piston failures that needs us to discuss in greater detail for a yacht application.
The Rix by contrast being oil less has no such limitation and one could suggest a 360 degrees for the oblique hence my suggestion pointing to it.
Tilt angle on a yacht is a mostly overlooked consideration but non the less a small point, critical we don’t get confused.

Also as per your comments on the Bauer Oceanus regarding marinized (like the Rix) again I think a number of differences need to be made clear to avoid confusion. On the one hand taking a standard build and adding a stainless base plate is not marinized.

Each of the components of the compressor needs to be discussed with the client from material choice to coatings from aluminium heads to 316 stainless heads, from steel plated crankshafts to stainless ones, from aluminium cooling coils to stainless ones etc etc.

The list of difference from a Bauer Oceanus to a Rix 1S3B6 or any other compressor needs careful consideration and the various version of "marinized" from a standard version need detailed discussion. This is much greater a task than what we have discussed so far but in order to make the statement "like a" we need first to know the design aspects and difference before any of us can make that claim.

This could be a long and interesting subject I look forward also to suggestions of this hookah option and how they avoid CO from the petrol engine being entrained into the breathing air.
So much so that I wish we could discuss Hookah systems on a separate post from a divers breathing air purity perspective than from a Yachtsman's. Iain

Last edited:
What power is available? What size generator do you have?

We have a Bauer Junior 2 powered by 5 hp Honda 4 stroke engine. we have had this for well over 15 years (electric at home) and used on our yacht since we started sailing two years ago. It has not missed a beat and has no additional rust etc. Highly recommended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom