South Florida Irma panic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luscioman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So most of the gas stations around me are out of Gas today (Tuesday 9/5/2017). The ones near me with gas have long lines. There is no bottled water to be found either. Most of the Keys has started to evacuate with trailed boats all over the place . A few captains I am friends with are flying to Costa Rica for a vacation this week. They hope they have a boat to come back to.

It's good to be proactive,

I'm an Andrew veteran. If this comes as a Cat 4 direct hit, I am out of here. Already have hotel booked in Georgia. Board up the house and hit the road . . .

I'm in Ocala driving back from dropping Harvey supplies. If I don't get my boat out by dawn, they are shutting down trailers. Beating feet.

Prayers for all of you. And hoping for the best.

Indeed, fingers crossed for all of our S. Florida friends!

It's good to be proactive,
It's why I evacuated last month! :D :D :D

Thoughts and prayers to all the friends I left in the Keys. You have a place to stay if you need it.

Was only 2 months when Andrew hit so don't remember anything about that one but I've been through everything else that has hit south Florida. My family isn't leaving but me and my dad are packing on up to Stuart area to the in laws place. Leaving the apartment in Coral Springs to help protect their house.

We are prepared though have food and water to last probably a month so no worries there. Only concern is the wind damage.

Stay safe everyone!

Last edited:
Started boarding up the house today. We are 50 or so yards from the Inter Coastal and about a mile and a half from the beach. Only 6 feet above sea level. House has been here since 1955 and seen many Hurricanes, hope it can survive another one.

Everyone in its path be safe and use common sense.

..... They hope they have a boat to come back to....
This hit is going to hurt.....

On the plus side is alot of new reefs usually get 'uncovered' from being buried with deep sand from the strong wave action. It's really cool to dive a quarter mile out from an everyday number and scream out " where the heck did that come from !!". The strong wave action moves alot of sand. Anyone remember the Speigiel being flipped straight up after the storm and everyone was shocked? I've seen Jupiter wrecks that moved a quarter of a mile or broken in half and took us 3 weeks to find the bow.

The new reefs are are going to need new names from the 1st divers to find them. That's how Julie's, Amy's and so many current reefs got their names. I already have my lobster reef,,Jump on a charter and find the new uncovered reefs !!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom