Everything cost the same, whats better for open water cert, florida diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

of those very specific combo's, I'd choose the mk20/g250 and then have the mk20 upgraded to a mk25. If you can get the mk25 with the g250, you'll be best off imo

I'd choose the G250 second. Probably the MK20 as parts can be gotten and as Tom advised it can be "upgraded" to a MK25. The MK10 is a a nice reg but hard parts, like pistons are no longer available, although I'm sure there's still plenty around if you look. Having said that, if your water is warm and clean I'd probably go a MK11 and a G250, I like diaphragm regs and the MK11 and G250 are simple as chips. Good luck.

Stay away from the mk20, they had a recall people I know have had failures. You can tell if it hasn't been Fixed because there will be 3 plastic vents instead of 2. Google search mk20 recall, I have one.

Honestly I wish I listened to my buddy a while ago. It's life support spend the most you can comfortably, a good reg will out last you! Buy cheap and used you will conatally be upgrading gear. I have over 4 spare regs now I know.

Stay away from the mk20, they had a recall people I know have had failures. You can tell if it hasn't been Fixed because there will be 3 plastic vents instead of 2. Google search mk20 recall, I have one.

Honestly I wish I listened to my buddy a while ago. It's life support spend the most you can comfortably, a good reg will out last you! Buy cheap and used you will conatally be upgrading gear. I have over 4 spare regs now I know.

send to me for proper disposal. I'll call scubapro and have the parts to upgrade to a mk25 in a couple days.

I own close to 2 dozen regulators that all get used regularly. I currently own exactly 1 first stage that was purchased new, and have one singles set of regs that are new but are prototypes so don't count. All the rest were purchased used. I have been burned on 2 second stages and one first stage but I think I paid like $100 total for it so I wasn't terribly upset

The MK20/G250 is the best choice in my opinion but all are good regulators. Don't worry about the MK20 recall it's not a problem to get the recall update. Many have updated their MK20's without changing the plastic saddle by converting them to DIN. The plastic saddle is an indication that the update has been performed but the saddle does not need to be replaced only the yoke / DIN bolt.

@buddhasummer i find unsealed diaphragm chambers much harder to clean than unsealed pistons because there is no flow throw ability

In the main I'd agree, although the MK11 spring cap has numerous small holes the full diameter allowing for easier cleaning/rinsing, similar to a MK10 for example. Well, the MK11 I had did, not sure if they changed it in the latest incarnation.

of those very specific combo's, I'd choose the mk20/g250 and then have the mk20 upgraded to a mk25. If you can get the mk25 with the g250, you'll be best off imo

I have no idea what you're recommending but for the benefit of the OP, there is one main difference between the MK20 and MK25, and that's the external IP adjustment. There is ZERO reason to spend money on this 'upgrade'.

If you're referring to the piston, which is the other difference, I would only replace the piston in a MK20 if it has the 2nd generation brass tip piston. The 1st generation MK20 stainless steel piston works just as well as the composite piston, and some late MK20s already had the composite piston.

I have no idea what you're recommending but for the benefit of the OP, there is one main difference between the MK20 and MK25, and that's the external IP adjustment. There is ZERO reason to spend money on this 'upgrade'.

If you're referring to the piston, which is the other difference, I would only replace the piston in a MK20 if it has the 2nd generation brass tip piston. The 1st generation MK20 stainless steel piston works just as well as the composite piston, and some late MK20s already had the composite piston.

the piston upgrade was what I was talking about. I don't really see a need for the external IP adjustment, especially with a G250 which is balanced well so you can get it close enough. Should have articulated better

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom