Going to Anilao solo... ...recommendations please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PS - regarding ear problems - I second the use of alcohol / vinegar ear drops after every dive - if I don't I also get otitis externa (swelling, pain, and hearing loss).

I chose Club O because some others I contacted could not guarantee I'd be able to go out on a boat to dive every day. Club O was all about diving... four dives a day and some in excess of 2 1/2 hrs (on an Al80). I'd make sure wherever you go they will guarantee you will dive every day and won't have to pay a different price depending on the number of divers that day.

I've got some very well priced tickets (including 30 kg baggage allowance :)) to Philippines for late Oct/ early Nov this year and I'm very keen to dive Anilao. I've spent quite a bit of time at Lembeh and I thought I'd try somewhere different for macro for a change. This is going to be my first time in the Philippines.
I'm looking for advice please on which places offer the best value for money for someone travelling solo. So far I'm intending on sending enquiries to Buceo Anilao, Crystal Bay & ASDC. Unsure about whether I should look at Club O or anywhere else?
It would be great to know whether they have Nitrox & if there are any issues with analysers.... ....also comments on whether I need to bring my own stash of coffee too please - I have a serious caffeine addiction! I'm pretty happy with Indo/ Malay style kopi (the real grounds stuff), but instant coffee just ain't gonna cut it!
I've got roughly two weeks, is it also worth taking a slight diversion to Puerto Galera or just maximise my time in Anilao? (At the mo gut feel and advice from others says stay in Anilao...)
Oh and how do people get on with getting ear infections in Anilao? I always get ear infections at Lembeh so I travel prepared with antibiotics.

Thanks in advance!

Nettie NZ,

I drive down to Anilao about once a month or so to dive - I normally stay at "Arthurs Place Dive Resort" - worth you checking prices, as they give good deals compared to a few other places, Boat and Guide costs there are split by the amount of people on the boat. I've never had problems with air or nitrox quality and they have guides that can spot a nudibranch at 20 meters !

Yes it would be well worth splitting your trip, 3 or 4 days of diving in Anilao is about enough, with 3 or 4 days over in PG, with a day trip to Verde worth it. Last time in PG I stayed at "CoCo Beach Resort", or on PG if you want to be closer to town (or 20 mins walk from it) , try La Laguna Beach club. (LLBC). both Coco and LLBC have dive centers.

Cheers

Peter

Well decision is now down to two ASDC & Buceo Anilao. Quite impressed with both responses - it's going to come down to whether I want to go budget or mid range... ...haven't decided yet if I want to save the money or enjoy the extra comforts. They both look like good options. Will chew on it for a while - I've got time to decide.
Thanks everyone for your help and recommendations!

I have always stayed at Crystal Blue Resort in Anilao, and no complaints other than they don't have any decent coffee, but nitrox blending is available, any mix you need. Controlled logging and labelling of tanks too.

Accommodation is pretty much ok, no issues.

I have stayed at Atlantis and Asian Divers in Puerto Galera on Sabang Beach, good coffee at both places.

Asian Divers were more professional with the nitrox analysis which they have on tap through a membrane system, consistent fills.

As for ear infections, I have had my fair share of them, although I have figured out that on one trip to Sipadan it was the water in the shower that caused the problems.

I second the "ear beer" treatment. I used 75% alcohol and 25% white vinegar. I usually pick this up in Makati before heading south in a local pharmacy and grocery store. I use an insulin syringe for application in each ear.

Good luck with the trip.

I am going to have about 4 days free on a trip to Asia in November and have contemplated various options including Phuket, and places near Cebu, but I am thinking I will return yet again to Club Ocellaris in Anilao. As drbill has pointed out, they put an emphasis on diving. I have been there with a typhoon hitting north Luzon, and Club O was the only outfit still getting people out on dives (on the roughest day we took a Jeepney to do some shore dives). They don't have a swimming pool or a bar; instead, they have more natural bamboo-wall huts built into the hillside yet with good showers, power plugs, and wifi. That's all that I need!

If you do decide to go to ASDC, please post your thoughts! Hoping to go back in January myself... with a new +15 lens for my camera...

PS Did Gina contact you via Facebook? She often does...

Just a point regarding Batangas coffee: The province is known for "Barako" coffee, using the Liberica bean. Most local drinkers will add a lot of sugar, and maybe milk--Barako drunk black is an acquired taste. It's still worth a try if you are into coffee. There is good Arabica coffee grown in the Philippines from the mountainous northern provinces, and good coffee beans are available all over metroManila from any coffee shop-so you don't have to bring your own supply. There is also Civet coffee ("Coffee Alamid") sometimes available, but the prices (and the fakes) have exploded in recent years.

I put my vote in for Buceo Anilao.

[snop] They also have a pod coffee machine (you pay a little extra for the pods). Or instant Nescafe Blend 43 swill which is included in the price of your stay. I too am a caffeine snob. Use the coffee pods.
As a diver opting for coffee pods that create an unproportional amount of (plastic) garbage compared to e.g. a French press is, well, interesting.

Thanks for the info on the coffee. Don't think I've come across Liberica before - except maybe in Vietnam(?)
Can't say I have ever enjoyed anything other than Arabica - I certainly don't like Robusta.
Pods - I'm not to keen on the extra rubbish they create, but they will be a good 'fall back option'.
I think to play it safe I'll be bringing my own coffee supply....
Really appreciated for the info!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom